The competitive guide to AP Koggy.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rekirts

08-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance119 View Post
Thank you for this guide. I was looking for a solo queue carry, and I eat faces as Kog, then spit them out at the rest of their team.

I do make one modification on your guide, and that is I get a hextech revolver early on. With it, I can heal 25%-50% in one or two spells, and keep at their necks forever.

I also always bring Clarity, as it helps immensely to keep the pressure on with artillery.

Thanks a lot for getting me on this path, the enemy team hates you.
I tested Hextech once. Its alright, shrug. If only Spell vamp wasn't a useless stat. I didn't like delaying any of the core items for it. But if it works continue using it! Clarity too, though I like both ghost and flash to reposition myself.

haha, thats mah job!

corpsemaker17

08-12-2010

thx for the excellent guide! bought kog'maw and have got about 10 games under my belt. started off a little shaky but im starting to get the hang of it. as much as i hate to see it happen, getting a kill w/ the passive explosion thing is a ton of fun. the ap build works wonders and i find myself absolutely decking the other teams squishies in the back. love this champ, just wish i had another skin lol.

Rekirts

08-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsemaker17 View Post
thx for the excellent guide! bought kog'maw and have got about 10 games under my belt. started off a little shaky but im starting to get the hang of it. as much as i hate to see it happen, getting a kill w/ the passive explosion thing is a ton of fun. the ap build works wonders and i find myself absolutely decking the other teams squishies in the back. love this champ, just wish i had another skin lol.
Hey thanks!! Keep on practicing and you'll see your kills go up and your deaths go down! . Kog really is the ultimate squishy killer.

muusbolla

08-12-2010

Honestly, your build kind of sucks. Try building Nashor's Tooth in place of Haunting Guise and tell me your DPS isn't higher (it will be). Spec 9/0/21 and get 6% in CDR runes. That's maxed 40% CDR.

CDR is much much better for Kog than AP because of his terrible ratios and low cooldowns. Maxed CDR allows you to cast 67% more ults (67% DPS increase) but 500 AP will only give him 37.5% increased damage (37.5% DPS increase). And 500 AP is considerably more expensive to acquire than Nashor's Tooth + runes + masteries = 40% CDR.

Basically since the base damage of the spell is so high (400) you are much better off getting CDR and just casting it every 0.6 seconds like a crazy artillery gatling gun. AFTER you build Nashor's Tooth I would definitely get Archangel's.

edit: Oh yeah and Nashor's Tooth also gives 50% attack speed, which buffs your W damage CONSIDERABLY. This can make a really big difference against tank teams.

Niņo Precioso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2010

I went 10-8-11.

Pretty good score considering I had a baddie Teemo who bought 3 maladies.

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by muusbolla View Post
Honestly, your build kind of sucks. Try building Nashor's Tooth in place of Haunting Guise and tell me your DPS isn't higher (it will be). Spec 9/0/21 and get 6% in CDR runes. That's maxed 40% CDR.

CDR is much much better for Kog than AP because of his terrible ratios and low cooldowns. Maxed CDR allows you to cast 67% more ults (67% DPS increase) but 500 AP will only give him 37.5% increased damage (37.5% DPS increase). And 500 AP is considerably more expensive to acquire than Nashor's Tooth + runes + masteries = 40% CDR.

Basically since the base damage of the spell is so high (400) you are much better off getting CDR and just casting it every 0.6 seconds like a crazy artillery gatling gun. AFTER you build Nashor's Tooth I would definitely get Archangel's.

edit: Oh yeah and Nashor's Tooth also gives 50% attack speed, which buffs your W damage CONSIDERABLY. This can make a really big difference against tank teams.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have no idea how magic penetration works.

Also, when is the base dmg of Kog's ult 400?

muusbolla

08-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrenic View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you have no idea how magic penetration works.

Also, when is the base dmg of Kog's ult 400?
Unless +20 magic penetration = +20% DPS in early game, it's still not worth it. I'm not saying that Haunting Guise is a bad item; it's just much more important to max CDR first.

Oh and if you rush Sorc Shoes and Haunting Guise and your opponent didn't buy any MR items yet, then you are wasting 10 magic pen.

To your second question, at level 3 ult. The ult does 250% total base damage to champs. This means it does 200/300/400 damage +0.3 AP ratio.

edit: WOWOWOW http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=207501 is all I have to say. The era of the AD Kog is incoming!!!

Cyrenic

08-13-2010

Quote:
Unless +20 magic penetration = +20% DPS in early game, it's still not worth it. I'm not saying that Haunting Guise is a bad item; it's just much more important to max CDR first.

Oh and if you rush Sorc Shoes and Haunting Guise and your opponent didn't buy any MR items yet, then you are wasting 10 magic pen.

To your second question, at level 3 ult. The ult does 250% total base damage to champs. This means it does 200/300/400 damage +0.3 AP ratio.

edit: WOWOWOW http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=207501 is all I have to say. The era of the AD Kog is incoming!!!
Sorry I don't have the time to do all the mathcraft right now, but I'm pretty sure 20 magic pen will increase your Ult's dmg by at least 20% early game (vs. a 30 MR target).

Regarding stacking MPen, that's true for some champs, but many champs get MR as they level, so it's effective vs. them. Between that and many champs getting chalice, mercs, etc., Guise is usually worth getting. Though it's always a good idea to pay attention to the enemy team's makeup and what they're buying.

Kog's Ult does 150% base dmg to enemy heroes. So the base values are 120/180/240.

Thanks for that link! I didn't know they were still putting out TR patch notes. That certainly changes things for Kog, to say the least .

muusbolla

08-13-2010

Kog's ult does 150% BONUS base damage to enemy heroes. That makes it 250% total. Read the ability carefully.

If it worked as you said, it would say 50% bonus.

Rekirts

08-13-2010

Quote:

Honestly, you're kinda ignorant and apparently cannot read. I've explained why Nashors Tooth is not the best item for Kog, but I guess I have to do it again. Pay attension, why ya?

First off, Haunting Guise costs a good +1000 gold less than Nashors... So its not quite fair to compare the two. You can have a Nashors Tooth or Haunting Guise and Sorc Shoes... And the latter you will be doing far more damage. Magic penetraion is absolutely the best stat AP Kog can stack for his ultimate.

and lol@

"CDR is much much better for Kog than AP because of his terrible ratios and low cooldowns. Maxed CDR allows you to cast 67% more ults (67% DPS increase) but 500 AP will only give him 37.5% increased damage (37.5% DPS increase). And 500 AP is considerably more expensive to acquire than Nashor's Tooth + runes + masteries = 40% CDR."

You truely are pretty ignorant. In theory, sure, that works. But the idea is to make the MOST of the shots, not shoot them off as soon as possible. The timer for Kog'Maws ultimate mana increase is pretty lengthy (compared to the cooldown), and you WILL waste ALL of your mana VERY, VERY fast if you use it non-stop, and that works as a second cooldown. The idea is to use it smartly, hitting the enemy carries, and bring them down fast. You don't use it every time its up immediately and hope to hit something, rather you make sure it hurts. Cooldown reduction is actually the WORST stat to stack for Kog'Maws ultimate... AP and magic penetration come first.

Seriously, you cannot be expecting to use that ability every time its up. After 4 shots consecutive shots you will be running dry, and that definately factors into your percentages.

"Basically since the base damage of the spell is so high (400) you are much better off getting CDR and just casting it every 0.6 seconds like a crazy artillery gatling gun. AFTER you build Nashor's Tooth I would definitely get Archangel's."

Lololol! Since the base damage is high is WHY we're building magic penetration in the first place. Jesus Christ man.

Now, onto Nashors as a whole. You gain 25% CD reduction, 50 AS, mana regen, and 55 AP. First off... CD reduction. 25%! Awesome dude! More Void Oozes is outstanding. But lets think this one through for a second.

Blue Elixer + Runes + Masteries = 25% cooldown reduction right there. If we buy our Nashors, we're wasting 10% cooldown reduction and valueable gold is put to waste.

Especially considering our team should usually get us Golem in most games, you will already be at 40% in most games with competant teamates. CDreduction completely goes to waste anytime we get golem. Zzz... Moving on...

50 AS, is pretty sweet for our W. But that is its ONLY use. Anytime our Bio-Arcane Barrage is not on that stat goes to WASTE. One CC and AS is completely useless. And since we're not getting any cooldown reduction, buying Nashors is way too expensive for only AS and 55 AP. Archangels gives much more AP (which benefits ALL of our skills, not just one) and mana regeneration (and max mana!).

I'm sick and tired of explaining Nashors to you people. If you wanna use it, sure, be my guest. But don't tell me my build sucks. I have much more experience then you.