What's the appeal of Rod of Ages?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

Catalyst was an item tailor-made for Summoner Rift's lane phase.

Naturally, not as much appeal on Dominion.

AbsolutePK

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpIe Reign View Post
Some champions need the sustain it gives, to well sustain. Other than that there's no real need for it considering the passive takes a while to ramp up and the games about to end when you do get its max potential.
I usually crank out a RoA before the 5 minute mark, assuming you're unganked and able to farm well it's likely you can get it before the 4 minute mark if you're able to snag a champion kill.

It takes 10 minutes to fully buffer, and most of my games seem to last 20-22 minutes lately. I'd say it works out fairly well.

And if you need to skip RoA and get some early defensive items, you can always abort the RoA plan and grab an Odyn's which is also a really good MR item.

Catalyst starting is extremely popular because of the health, mana, and sustain from the passive. What you build it into should always change depending on the game you are in.

zionist shill

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutePK View Post
I usually crank out a RoA before the 5 minute mark, assuming you're unganked and able to farm well it's likely you can get it before the 4 minute mark if you're able to snag a champion kill.

It takes 10 minutes to fully buffer, and most of my games seem to last 20-22 minutes lately. I'd say it works out fairly well.

And if you need to skip RoA and get some early defensive items, you can always abort the RoA plan and grab an Odyn's which is also a really good MR item.

Catalyst starting is extremely popular because of the health, mana, and sustain from the passive. What you build it into should always change depending on the game you are in.

Most of my games barely go over the 20 minute mark. And I generally get it by about 5-7 minutes if I go top which was what I was using as a reference in my post.

AbsolutePK

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpIe Reign View Post
Most of my games barely go over the 20 minute mark. And I generally get it by about 5-7 minutes if I go top which was what I was using as a reference in my post.
It has been a while but I used to go Catalyst top as Lux. And when I didn't, I'd go boots/cata parts/as many mana potions as I could buy.

Worked out pretty well, but it really has been a while since I've tried it. Problem I'd constantly have with Lux was when I wasn't getting CC lock gibbed I'd be OOM and unable to defend myself, so catalyst/RoA and mana potions really helped while stuff like Rylai's doesn't give mana and stacking a Tear is a huge pain and from what I've experienced is a giant TARGET ME icon.

BadgerDrool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

Dom fights can really extend themselves out a lot and Health potions are only available to one person at a time. As a result mana solutions can be more important then you'd think on the map.

Bottom for example sees a lot of zoning around the middle health potion. Maintaining control of it gives you sustain but not your opponent. An early Catalyst makes it not nearly as bad and much more punishing when you do control it.

Powerstoned

02-11-2012

Singed heart RoA

Talamare

02-11-2012

Dominion is about constant maximal outputs for extended duration

which means getting max cooldown reduction

however max cooldown + long time = out of mana VERY fast, and RoA fixes this

+700 Mana is a good 5-10 spells, significant difference

SoSalty

02-11-2012

The passive is good all game. 15 levels x (250 Health + 200 mana) = 3750 health + 3000 mana. Don't forget it also gets better as the game goes. It's usually at max power during the last 5-10 minutes of a normal game. In an epic game, it's good for over a third of the game.

As someone mentioned in another post, it is a must on Kassadin.

innervation

02-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
I'd say RoA is core on Kassadin, as it gives him increased durability and the chance to spam way more...along with a little decent damage. I realize you can build tear into AA, but you lose a lot of durability by going this route....also, given the nature of how Kass plays on Dom, the catalyst proc is very helpful.
Yeah, its not really fair to say "mana doesn't matter on dominion" - some champions love it, but also need the survivability it gives over aa staff. Champs like kass, gragas, and singed. Also, there are some long, drawn out fights in which you might find yourself wanting both the mana and survivability on any caster...