What's the appeal of Rod of Ages?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kedali

02-11-2012

I see a huge amount of people start out with RoA on their casters and recommend others do the same, and I don't really get why. Considering that mana is virtually meaningless on Dominion, with a few notable exceptions, it's basically 3035 gold for 630 health and 80 ability power, and a passive which, imo, also doesn't do much in Dominion. For 70 gold more, you can get Rylai's with gives 500 health, 80 ap, and the amazing slow. What do people like so much about RoA?

DoctorEvolution

02-11-2012

On some champs who have spamable abilities that chew though mana, it might be slightly better to get a RoA, though you won't get many stacks from its passive. Its usually because people like the health from an early catalyst.

Whi

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEvolutio View Post
On some champs who have spamable abilities that chew though mana, it might be slightly better to get a RoA, though you won't get many stacks from its passive. Its usually because people like the health from an early catalyst.
If you can spam, you build tear not ROA.

DoctorEvolution

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whi View Post
If you can spam, you build tear not ROA.
Tear is probably a bit weaker on most champs than a catalyst start. Though there are about four to five that do well with a tear if building into a manamune, or if you are Ryze and maybe Karthus. Then on the flip side, Rylai's is better on some champs.

RoA delivers health, mana and ability power

Rylai's delivers health, ability power and slow.

AA/Manamune, Mana + damage.

If your champ already has a slow, you might not want to stack it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

02-11-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

the passive from catalyst is good if you're going bot, so at that point you're looking at 1710g (iirc) for 80 ability power and 180 health. you know, if you're not building into odyn's veil.
i very rarely pick up catalyst if i go top--not nearly as much appeal in that case.

zionist shill

02-11-2012

Some champions need the sustain it gives, to well sustain. Other than that there's no real need for it considering the passive takes a while to ramp up and the games about to end when you do get its max potential.

Dark Magician

02-11-2012

RoA is usually for bot like some have mention.

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

The Catalyst is amazing for early game sustain, since you gain levels in rapid succession you regen frequently. Plus, The RoA is a BIG stat stick, and only gets better over time, making it very gold efficient.
And hey, nothing says you can't build it AND Rylai's. I know I do sometimes.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
the passive from catalyst is good if you're going bot, so at that point you're looking at 1710g (iirc) for 80 ability power and 180 health. you know, if you're not building into odyn's veil.
i very rarely pick up catalyst if i go top--not nearly as much appeal in that case.
I'd say RoA is core on Kassadin, as it gives him increased durability and the chance to spam way more...along with a little decent damage. I realize you can build tear into AA, but you lose a lot of durability by going this route....also, given the nature of how Kass plays on Dom, the catalyst proc is very helpful.

AlexDnD

02-11-2012

Cus it works great on bot lane? And yes some folks do need the mana on bot lane.