Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Returning, and Ezreal advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Junuko

07-24-2010

(TLDR Notice, I talk a lot. If you feel the need, scroll down.)

Hello there again New Player Forum, one of my favorite places ever.

Anyways, Jun here again after a three or so week break from League to get some other stuff done with my life.

Upon returning I tried playing the character I left off at, Kat, in games I began to feel myself just more and more useless as I couldn't seem to inflict the damage needed to kill anything, and basically once I got into a fight, I never really left alive.

Because of this I decided to pick up a new champion who I have heard many good things about, Ezreal. From everything I hear Ezreal is a semi-difficult champion to master utilizing pretty much only Skill-shots for his abilities which sets the bar pretty high for him to be played, he is supposed to have a very high dosage of damage-output while remaining normally squishy.

So after a few practice games I decided to jump back into some normal Queues with a friend of mine to do some work... Long story short: I have been decimated in every single game i've played, I like to think I don't really do terrible things, I always get back when I expect a gank is going to happen, I play real defensive, I hang back in team fights and try to just pew pew my way on the squishies and make chase after the runners.

I can't tell if it's just the games i'm getting placed in (Pretty much all of them consisting of another lane endlessly feeding 5+ kills per champion in less than ten minutes.) Or if i'm just not exerting myself enough, my friend on Skype told me I need to try to be more aggressive in the Lane phase because I usually just try to farm and last hit for gold to try and get myself boosted up later on from hero kills., though when I attempt I seem to just hurt myself more than I should.

So basically I can sum this up here at he bottom I suppose: Any good advice or tricks you all suggest for Ezreal? Should I be decently aggressive with Ezreal in the beginning? Is the AD build much better than the AP build now with the nerfs of my understanding?
Is keeping his passive up as important as people make it sound despite how mana-intensive it can be since I have not purchased runes yet?

Thanks for any help.

PENHALIGAN

07-25-2010

His passive isn't really that important. It's just helpful especially when pushing a tower or if you are building dps. Using your q spell to last shot minions will rack up a lot of gold. And if you are squishy don't be aggressive unless you have a clear advantage. If you play aggressively build some health. If you are building ap get a rylai's scepter or a rod of ages (rylai's is better imo). If you are building dps get a frozen mallet. Rush them in the beginning if possible. And a one of the best things to have while playing ezreal (like most champions) is map awareness. See if your team mates are in trouble or if someone is teleporting back with low health by their turret. Your ultimate reaches across the whole map, so spam it as much as possible without wasting it.

xpsychedelico

07-25-2010

If you are good at landing Ezreal's Q, you should be able to farm and harass effectively from a safe distance without putting yourself in too much harm. Use his E to position yourself well or to get out of a tight spot. It's not mana efficient to harass with W, so Q is your best shot, especially if you are building AD. There's still a lot of debate regarding whether AP Ezreal is still viable, but there are arguments for both sides, less so for hybrid. Use his Q to proc your passive, it only costs 30 mana at level 1, and you should be able to keep your mana pool filled. Don't overuse W and E to harass, it will drain your mana.

Larias

Adjudicator

07-25-2010

If you are playing AD, his passive is extremely important.

I have been maining Ezreal in ranked play, and I'll give you the lowdown on what I do.

Pick ghost/ignite - ghost helps in offensive and defensive cases, and ignite is going to be your killer. Possibly take cleanse if you notice they have a bunch of stuns.

Start off with Meki Pendant and 2 HP potions. Meki pendant will allow you to almost spam your Q ability, to great effect. HP potions are obvious.

You want to harass the opponent with your Q and possibly get last hits with it. I tend to harass with Q and last hit with auto attack, and it works out well. Level up Q->e->q->e->q -- basically, max Q, then E, and get R when available.

You can use Ezreal's ultimate in three cases: to snipe opponents who are leaving, to use it in a team battle when they're grouped up, or to push towers. Remember that every time you use Q, your R gets 1 second more off cooldown, so make sure you're using it often.

A good build is chalice -> merc treads - > Sword of the Occult (if you think you're going to get a lot of kills) *or* brutalizer (If not) -> Bloodthirster -> anything (defensive items or guaranteed slow from Mallet are good choices).

Playstyle: I play extremely aggressively. You should be getting first blood by level 5 if you're harassing with q. Wait until there are only 2-3 creeps left on their side, move forward and "e" next to them to hit them, auto attack them and hit them with Q, and drop ignite on them. Grats, first blood - no one but a tank like Mord or similar can stand up to that kind of burst.

In team fights, you should wait until your tank is in the fray before going in to auto attack. Make sure you are ready to "e" away and kite any melee who decides you are a target.

Finally, make sure you ALWAYS have lizard, and golem is good too. Lizard is activated on your Q, making for super kiting or super chasing or super ANYTHING. Golem is nice too for zero-cooldown Q.

Good luck to you!

Junuko

07-25-2010

Thanks so far guys, pulling a lot together in here, especially Larias he gave some nice ideas, I never actually thought about a Chalice on him since I usually grab Sheen > Boots > Merc > Trinity.

But I will give the Chalice and Bloodthirster idea a try, and I will attempt to be more aggressive towards that level 5 when I decide to go for a kill, to be honest I never thought about using the advantage of E to surprise my enemy and having an easy Q shot.

Larias

Adjudicator

07-25-2010

Quote:
Junuko:
Thanks so far guys, pulling a lot together in here, especially Larias he gave some nice ideas, I never actually thought about a Chalice on him since I usually grab Sheen > Boots > Merc > Trinity.

But I will give the Chalice and Bloodthirster idea a try, and I will attempt to be more aggressive towards that level 5 when I decide to go for a kill, to be honest I never thought about using the advantage of E to surprise my enemy and having an easy Q shot.

It's a ton of burst.

I never get sheen on AD ezreal.

Most of AD Ezreal's damage come from his auto attacks. Sheen helps you once every 2-3 seconds on your Q. Chalice is cheaper, gives better mana returns during laning phases or long fights, and is coupled with magic resist, which is always good.