Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tank Job, Surviving?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zephae

07-24-2010

Hi,
I'm having serious trouble surviving using a tank(Shen). I can keep the agro in 2v2 n 3v3 but when i'm in big ganks(5v5) i'm useless 'cause i get everyones agro n i get killed easily.
What am i doing wrong? Should i try to stay alive or should i get agro for the other to kill.

Tnx

Junuko

07-24-2010

Usually as a tank, I don't worry about if I live or not, I worry about if my team lives or not to win the battle.

Of course staying alive is always a good thing in any fight, but if you dying will win the battle for everyone else, then go ahead and put yourself up to it, just don't rush in though unless you know your team is ready to fight, running in and dying while the rest of your team is standing back watching is really really annoying.

SomniumProxy

07-24-2010

You should try to get as much agro as possible, except if you're really low and able to survive.

The items to do so are essential, so is the positioning.

1.items - I see you have the right idea with frozen mallet, but the rest of the build can use some improvement ^^. Mercury boots are advised, since you'll probbaly be getting enough armor. Also a heart of gold , later upgraded into randuin can do you and your team much good. note: Leviathan is not bad, but i prefer not to make it, and so should you if you're still uncertain about your performance.

2. Positioning. You should be taunting the right guys, after all. Your top priority are the mages, since taunting them prevents them from unleashing their spells on your team. I do the following pattern: taunt to a mage, try to work with your team to focus and kill him while taunted. Then use ultimate on a friend (someone is getting focused on your team as well).
Your ultimate will shield you as well, providing survivability for a second taunt directed at their main DPS.

note: it's also a very good idea to have exhaust.

Terchio

07-24-2010

Frozen Mallet is good, but Shen should have some stuff earlier. Isn't it around 3200 cost before it's done? Some people rush bloodthirsters on DPS characters, but at least they can deal decent damage at 1850 with a B.F. Sword. Yes, you do get HP out of the deal, but not enough to make you dominant early. I would definitely get a Heart of Gold or 2 to speed up the money and add effective HP from armor, plus throw in a standalone negatron cloak to soak up the magic. Once those are in, you are unlikely to die in any case.

If you fear you are going to do too little damage following what I said, as it does drop the HP a bit early on, then you need to work on mechanics to keep you alive. Though you are tanking, you can't chase after a hero solo in the process of running into another 3, and then not have an ally following you the whole time. If you're taking damage, someone needs to be nearby dealing it. Given that this is a bit of the fault of allies that don't follow religiously, but you can limit the unnecessary deaths by keeping a watchful eye.

Zephae

07-25-2010

Thank you all for responding, later to write because I was waiting for my girlfriend to translate because my English is very bad, but now I am using a translator.
I am using amumu, and I feel much more comfortable with it, unless I die (and do not usually get the agro of all). I think the problem is my way of using shen, too aggressive.
I thank you all and sorry for the delay.

Lord Abbendis

07-25-2010

A tanks job isnt nessicarily survival its to make sure your enemies dont attack your carries/support. Just make sure you have health and armor and aggro the enemies so your carries can come in and stomp the enemies.

BACKSTABUUU

Recruiter

07-25-2010

You're doing it right, if you're dying early, that probably means you've taken all the powerful spells and your teammates can proceed with the mop up.

Basically, you job is to take all the damage and taunt enemies who go after your squishies.

A tip for survivalbility would be to use feint often, and entering a fight with stand united can sometimes be better than using it to save far away teammates.

Stand United is also an amazing escape tactic!

finalformeskimo

07-25-2010

Another good job for a tank is support. Carry lots of AoE items, Randuins, soul shroud, aegis of legion, frozen heart. Anything that will help your whole team and hurt the enemy teams. All of these are also Tank items increasing your survivability. If you have a ton of tank items and die, you probably did your job in soaking up ALOT of damage, as well as providing your team buffs for the duration you were there.

Of course obviously its your job is taunt and initiate, as well as keeping bursters busy with taunt.

Genuwine21

07-26-2010

A couple things to realize when playing a tank, first off you should be able to stay alive when faced against a champ, but in a team situation sometimes it is best to save someone else, particularly if they have items that have stacks, keeping them alive means keeping their extra damage...

Some things to note about Shen
-his ult is great for entering a team fight with a dps or for protecting assassins.
-your q should be used to help focus damage toward a target, since the rest of the team can use the healing
-your w is good when engaging to keep yourself alive
-finally don't taunt unnecessarily, if you are in a team fight, be aware that when you taunt if the other enemies are all grouped close they will all target you.