Disscusion: Nautilus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FDru

02-10-2012

Like Blitz but more of a tank and less of a dueler (it seems people have been avoiding this comparison but I think it's a fair one). In other words: not as good... at least on Crystal Scar.

Anchor looks like a great initiation tool but Rocket Grab is better for small fights or ganks, especially since it can be used through walls. With turret fighting being emphasized on Dominion, repositioning the target without repositioning yourself is important.

Shields on tanks are awesome but as Xyph pointed out, they are just a big "ignore me" sign. Also, mana shield trolololol

On-hit root every 12 seconds? How about knockup every 2 seconds?

AOE silence > AOE slow. By a lot.

I agree with whoever said he's going to be another Sejuani. Either his numbers need to be really good or there's going to be better choices.

Bonabon

02-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
lets not argue semantics. it still stops movement and interrupts casts/channels.
The semantics are important.
From the dev him/herself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
His passive deals bonus damage and roots - not stun - a crucial distinction for interrupting enemy spells and such.

Bonabon

02-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Like Blitz but more of a tank and less of a dueler (it seems people have been avoiding this comparison but I think it's a fair one). In other words: not as good... at least on Crystal Scar.
I was thinking this more and more reading the dev's posts in that topic. At least not exactly comparing him directly to Blitz, but thinking that psuedo-tanks like Blitz/Alistar/Leona are better at the job. While they can't force you to fight them with a taunt, they can punish you for not taking them out of the fight by shutting down key members of your team with constant stuns/knock-ups/displacement.

I was pretty excited when I watched the art spotlight because I've been thinking this game needs a champion with a chain weapon, but this is feeling a little underwhelming. Nautilus is thematically very cool, but the implementation seems lacking.

larkhill

02-10-2012

just because a red said it doesnt mean its true. they arent god's...

for example...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Ah, on this point - This is something we were concerned about - and so we chose to make Nautilus' CC more about isolating and disrupting a single target far more than locking down the team like Amumu or doing heavy burst damage like Leona.
heavy burst dmg? excuse me?

it will still interrupt. it will still hold them in place for a short amt of time. the only thing it wont do is silence, which isnt that pig of a deal. what u call it doesnt really matter. the minimal amt of dmg it does is insignificant and will rarely be a factor. u dont pick nautilus for his dmg...

Phynal

02-10-2012

I want to be excited...I really do...but I have trouble seeing Nautilus being viable in dominion without some really good dmg scaling. And by viable I mean see widespread play after the first week.

I think he falls in line with Amumu. He does good damage over a period of time, but other than his ult doesn't really affect a team fight. I mean at least Amumu has a stun that he can use. Snares are only good for catching people. And honestly, most fights aren't long enough in dominion for the damage to kick in.

Bonabon

02-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
just because a red said it doesnt mean its true. they arent god's...
Xypherous is the one who designed Nautilus.

And to be fair, Leona does have decent burst early game/against squishies, albeit requires her whole kit to do it and it's not enough to feel entirely too threatened by her after the initial combo.

Phourc

02-11-2012

Xypherous sure made him sound fun to play - sorta a cross between Blitz and Alistair.

It's quite possible that he could suck on dominion, a lot of SR characters are viable just because they're good at jungle - they don't bring much to the table besides good clear times.

Ensign

02-11-2012

For some reason I expect him to follow the recent tank trend of having poor base stats, long cooldowns, and terrible scaling. I hope I'll be surprised by strong ratios, but I suspect he'll go on the trash heap with Sejuani.

lbgsloan

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
For some reason I expect him to follow the recent tank trend of having poor base stats, long cooldowns, and terrible scaling. I hope I'll be surprised by strong ratios, but I suspect he'll go on the trash heap with Sejuani.
I don't get why Riot keeps making these tanks from the same template. Do we really need ANOTHER Amumu varient? Leona and Sejuani aren't enough? What happened to the Maokais, Galios and Shens?

larkhill

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
It's quite possible that he could suck on dominion, a lot of SR characters are viable just because they're good at jungle - they don't bring much to the table besides good clear times.
the problem with nautilus on SR is that u have no place to put him. he runs into the same problems as leona does. xyph mentioned his jungling being decent but the build is fairly unconventional (he mentioned starting with hp crystal, which would mean maxing shield first). disruption tanks are only good for kill lane bot's and the meta right now is mroe towards support/carry bots, leaving nautilus only viable in dominion

disruption tanks do very well on dominion. almost too well really. we all know why. theres other threads to argue this.

either way, nautilus brings a lot to a fight. he doesnt really have any new mechanics but he has the perfect mix of utility from all the disruption tanks available.

he's like a mix of leona (stun/immobalize), blitz (grab), and jarvan (aoe knockup). 3 of the most op tanks in the game.

the only possible way he could suck on dominion is if his ranges are dreadfully small