Violence solves everything! - Katarina

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chevalier12

07-24-2010

Quote:
Many of the noble daughters of Noxus are content to live their decadent lives of privilege. Not so with Katarina. Daughter of the feared Noxian General Du Couteau, the girl was always more interested in her father's blades than in the dresses her sisters spent so much time fussing over. Her father, ever the opportunist, happily fostered her bloodlust. Katarina was trained by the finest warriors under her father's command and, once she bested them, by Noxus's most lethal assassins. The ruthless woman first cut her teeth performing covert missions in the Ionian War, but the challenge of such engagements was simply not enough to sate her ambitions. Katarina wanted not only to be deadly, she wanted to be feared and adored. The League of Legends called and Katarina eagerly answered.

''The blade-mistress of Noxus is like a black widow - beautiful, but deadly.''
Abilities:

Her passive :
Voracity
After a kill or an assist, Katarina gains 50 gold and her cooldowns are reduced by 15 seconds.

Her passive is what makes you a BEAST in teamfights, once you've killed a enemy champion you can ALWAYS jump on another one instantly, then another one.. you see where I'm getting at..
ace

Bouncing Blade

Katarina throws a dagger that bounces from enemy to enemy dealing magic damage.

Maximum Bounces: 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6
Bonus Damage: 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100
Can be used to farm and harass enemy champions with.
This skill will always be your first skill to max out, due to the fact that you're going to have alot of Attack Damage and its your primary harassing skill with no incoming risks(Yes, I'm pointing at you Ability Power Katarina, harassing with Shunpo can get you killed most of the time, smart people PUNISH you for going that close to them, unless you have a followup for that Shunpo, you will take alot of unnecesarry damage)

Onto her next skill..

Killer Instincts

Passive: Katarina deals increased damage.
Active: Katarina's next basic ability has a bonus effect; Bouncing Blade deals full damage to every target it hits and applies 50% healing reduction for 10 seconds. Shunpo reduces incoming damage for 3 seconds.

Damage Increase: 8 / 12 / 16 / 20 / 24
Damage reduction after Shunpo: 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 %

Lets talk about the healing reduction effect, looking at it.. 50% healing reduction for 10 seconds! You automatically become a hard counter to the healing meta(Soraka, Kayle), and you become a threat to tanks, this passive is what could score you kills on them.
Killer Instincts is the cherry on the top of the cake.
Killer Instincts is what keeps you alive after using Shunpo to get in the middle of 5 enemy champions just to drop your Death Lotus nuke.(Though smart players would CC you, but smart players wait until all CC is used to do this, It all depends on your level of skill -- long story short, you need a brain.)

Shunpo
Katarina moves to her target's location. If the target is an enemy, she deals magic damage to the target.

Magic Damage: 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 / 210 (+0.75 per ability power)

Stalking skill, can be used to last hit minions, to harass people with(I don't reccommend doing it.)or just to finish someone off.
Frankly I haven't been using this skill TOO MUCH in this build, I can't comment in any way on it, its too risky to harass people with it, I only use it to jump into teamfights so I can easily drop my Death Lotus inside the nest.

Death Lotus
Katarina goes into a state of extreme focus, throwing daggers with unrivalled speed at enemy champion(s). Each dagger deals magic damage plus the higher value between 55% of her bonus attack damage or 30% of her ability power.

Enemies: 1 / 2 / 3
Magic Damage: 50 / 65 / 80

Death Lotus is your best skill, the one that will score penta kills for you with relative ease at Level 3.
Early game Death Lotus will do very shy damage, around 90 - 100 Magic Damage, not counting the ammount of Magic Resist a enemy champion has, so don't push it, you're not a champion made to 1v1, its not your core design.

Now that we have discovered all of her skills and what they are supposed to do, lets go on to .. item builds.

Sword of the Occult
Leviathan(Amazing synergy with your passive, 35% Reduced damage + 15 % Reduced damage equals 50% Reduced damage, with this you can dive the fountain turret and get kills at their spawn.)
Sorcerer Boots(Magic Penetration to help increase you damage output)/Mercury Threads(Boots that will help you with the hard CC.)
Bloodthirster(Self explained, Life Steal and Attack Damage, this will up your damage from Death Lotus ALOT, to a maximum of 100 Damage when fully charged)
Bloodthirster
Bloodthirster

This build doesn't require you getting fed, just by participating in teamfights and just by farming you can build this.
By minute 15 you will have Sword of the Occult, Leviathan and Sorcerer Boots/Mercury Threads, the rest requires farming and teamwork.
After you've already built your second B.F. Sword the game should already be over.

-- The trivial advantage you have over your Ability Power counterpart is that you can farm MUCH easier, which makes Attack Damage the supreme form of Katarina.

Early Game

You start out with a Long Sword and 1 HP Potion.
During the laning phase you should last hit minions as much as possible, but not with your Bouncing Blade, you keep your Bouncing Blade for the enemy champions, wither them down and ultimately kill them with Shunpo.

Mid Game
You should already have your Sword of the Occult , Sorcerer Boots and Leviathan, go ahead and look for a teamfight with your allies. ALWAYS wait for your initiator/tank to initiate the teamfight, ALWAYS look for potential threats of CC that could DISABLE your Ultimate(I mean, this is very sad for Kat, it makes Kat so sad that she cries as much as Amumu, if your Ultimate gets disabled you're useless for the whole teamfight, well .. ALMOST! Because you're Attack Damage Katarina you're not completely useless, you can still spam your Bouncing Blade and Auto Attack enemy champions.)

Late Game
If you fulfilled your role in every teamfight until now, you should have about Max Stacks on both Sword of the Occult and Leviathan, you are the ultimate nuker, there is nothing else to be afraid of, go ahead with your team, get a ace and finalize the game.

Alternate:
You died 25 times and people are whining about how much you suck, ragequit!.

Runes:
Tier 3 Red Magic Pen
Tier 3 Blue Magic Pen
Tier 3 Yellow Dodge
Tier 3 HP Quints

Masteries:
http://i31.tinypic.com/ojfk7s.png

Summoner Spells:

Flash - A good option but I don't feel like it offers enough for Katarina, you don't necesarily need this.
Ignite - Staple on any champion, doesn't take you out of your ultimate, helps you finish people off.
Exhaust - Bane of any auto attack champion, stops people from running away from your ultimate.
Cleanse - A good option for Katarina, but she's not that dependant on it.

I summed up everything I know about Katarina, this is where we depart, good luck on the Fields of Justice, comrades!
I have 23 aces and 14 Penta kills with Katarina.

I will repeat myself once , and again, Katarina isn't a champion you just pick up and start smashing people with it, she requires practice, and most of all, an IQ above 100.

Additional: I'll post a video very soon to show you people how I play Katarina.
My latest scoreboard -- Proof that I'm decent with Katarina : http://i31.tinypic.com/i1b1j4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1cK2MbKGlg - This is how I play Kat, 2 baddies in this vid are Sivir and WW.
Ignore my euro voice :< , I know it sounds weird. The poor malphite keeps showing up too late with his ult. I'm in a premade with some friends, you can hear them on ventrilo.

steelsoulz

07-24-2010

played with you just recently. Wicked sick skill wicked sick guide!

peyo

07-24-2010

Perseverance is such a lame mastery... I'd rather take Good Hands or even better, Nimbleness over it...

Chevalier12

07-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyo View Post
Perseverance is such a lame mastery... I'd rather take Good Hands or even better, Nimbleness over it...
Not sure about either so I just went with preseverance.
Your choice.
I just feel really unsafe when I can't max out Nimbleness.

lolmentaldisorders.

TheWaveWizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2010

What do you think about Rylai's Scepter for the slow on Shunpo?

peyo

07-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier12 View Post
Not sure about either so I just went with preseverance.
Your choice.
I just feel really unsafe when I can't max out Nimbleness.

lolmentaldisorders.
At level 18 you have 16.85HP/5s regen... 4% gives you 0.674hp (over 5 seconds) for a total of 17.524HP/5s.... cool

Good Hands can save you from loosing in late games, where 6 or 7s shorter death time is a savior.
Nimbleness + 2 % dodge = no need for anything else, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GogglesVK View Post
and BB and Lotus...

Leirkov

07-24-2010

Quote:
I think it's worthless. You deal more damage going AD and if you need the slow for your ultimate, you're probably in the wrong position to be using it anyway. I know you said Shunpo, but honestly, it's not worth it, IMO.

Chevalier12

07-24-2010

Quote:
Strictly for suicidal AP builds that shunpo someone near a tower and screams in vent WALALALALALALALALALALALALALA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKl9v...eature=related

Edit: Thanks for the math Peyo, now I can say I would gain more from Nimbleness than from Perseverence.
Fixed masteries.

I didn't know the exact values.

FABIOForever

07-24-2010

A double snowball item build doesn't require that you be fed?

Al3xander

07-24-2010

Going double snowball is a risky thing, and so suggestions like this should not be included in a guide. Snowball items are situational only. You should never get a Mejai/SotO/Leviathan if you are going 0/2 from a bad early game.
I usually go with boots, 2 Bloodthirster, Banshee, something else. You benefit more from a BF early game rather than a SotO, which you may or may not charge, also Banshee is always a must for kat, especially if the enemy team is CC heavy.