building DPS malph

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ABIackMan

07-24-2010

i want a new DPS champion, and i wanna use malph since i see nobody use him and especially not as DPS, the way riot apparently wanted him.
there isnt really a guide for DPS malph that i found to be useful.

so, should i balance it out between ground slam and brutal strikes, and get both armor and attack damage?

if that were the case, id think about this build:
get heart of gold first off, then ninjas tabi.
then id get infinity edge (i have crit runes, so this would hurt with brutal strikes)
heart of gold--->randuins omen (also gives CD, which i also have runes of)
then maybe bloodthirster for damage.

but ill also need attack speed, so im stumped. anyone give me an overall build? obviously, ill change it up based on team makeups.

DrPlague

07-24-2010

Zeal -> Phantom Dancer is very good for dps malph.
Normally for a dps build I go..
Ninja Tabi
Inf Edge
Phantom Dancer
Frozen Mallet

That's the core of my dps malph build. Depending on how it's going, I don't stack armor as the ground slam in a dps build is used for slowing their attack speed, not really as a nuke attack.
So stack damage, crit, attack speed. With Brutal Strikes, having a lot of attack damage is so awesome.

ABIackMan

07-24-2010

whats the cooldown on brutal strikes? the champion pages dont show them anymore. so i was thinkin if ghostblade would also be good, especialy for attack speed

by the way thanks for the help

Toxic72

07-24-2010

Chalice - able to spam Q for chasing, harassing, and fleeing.
Phage - solid hp and ad
Brutalizer - good damage and cooldown reduction
Zeal- built for the attack and movespeed
Finish your frozen mallet
Finally finish the phantom dancer.

If the game hasn't ended turn the brutalizer into a ghostblade.

All of these items combined will turn you into a killing machine, and damage isn't as necessary on malphite because of brutal strikes.

There is also an ap/as hybrid build that i play with that can be a lot of fun, as his spells do some good damage.

ABIackMan

07-24-2010

i would think that you would need attack damage for brutal strikes, since its based on a percentage... a high percentage

Yulgash

07-24-2010

I think the cooldown on brutal strikes is 16 seconds.

DrPlague

07-24-2010

Yeah, the percentage damage increase on Brutal Strikes at max rank 5 is ... 70%!!!!
That's a massive damage increase, so getting Inf Edge makes you hit like a truck full of fat kids.

M4nTiCoR3

07-24-2010

I have played Malph from level 1 summoner, to level 30, and have found a DPS build to be the most effective way to actually WIN with him. I have a lot of wins with a basic DPS build, and a lot of losses with the horribly misguided tank builds that everyone seems to think are so great on him.

The first thing you hav e to do when playing this build is actually convince your team that you can out carry master yi, or ashe, or just about anyone else if they will simply treat you like a carry and not a tank. This is probably your biggest challeneg when playing DPS malph in pugs. You are a late game carry, and as such you will suck unless your team can carry you to LATE game.

The first comment always made to me when i try this is "WTF kinda Malph build is that gap81?...you so noob for not going tank." NO, STFU...you are the noob you jack A$$. I'm the guy with over 100 wins as Malph and most of them came from changing my noobish tank like tactics to ones more suited to his abilities.

Brutal strikes is like 6 sec of near crit damage for free. Add lots of crit rating and your doing 340% base damage per crit. Throw on an Infinity Edge and the crit +10% crit damage mastery, and you are now smashing face for a whooping 442% of your base damage per crit, with over 200% of that splashing to nearby minions, bystandards, innocent butterflies and squirrls.

With the right itemization, Malphite can push a lane in the blink of an eye, can drop a tower lickty split, and can turn a tightly packed team of enemy champs into pea soup. There are a few things you need to focus on to do this.

Primary Stats

Attack Speed: His damage is already one of the beefiest base damages in the game. That 6 sec isnt forever, and you want to get every swing you possibly can in while brutalize is active. Faster speed means more swings, means more chances to Crit for huge bursty damage.

Crit Rating: Adding any items that increase your chance to criticasl hit is a hige benifit to his damage output. I easly get +50% chance with almots every DPS Malph I build. When im swingginf for quad damage every other strike with my brutalize active, things roll in my favor real quick.

Damage: Let me make this clear...for every 10 points you add, you get 7 more for free when you pop brutalize. Dont think that this alone will help you, you really need AS and CR before this, but most items that add those also grant this as well, and more is always better when your smashing face.

Armor Pen: The more you have, the more they hurt. Nuff said.

Secondary Stats

Lifesteal: This makes you more durable and able to lane longer. Once you get in your in for the long hual. There is no escape. You ethier win or you lose. BTW, do you know what 30% of +1k is in life?...hmmmm....carry the 1...drop the zero...yeah thats 300 hp you get back every time you crit once your maxing this build. STAY IN COMBAT AT ALL TIMES!

Armor: This not only gives you more survivability vs standard attacks, but it stackls a bit to help your dps though your GS ability. One you shold be using at every oppertunity once you engage for the added dps,a nd the AS debuff it instills on other champs.

Dodge: When you stack this much weaponry on that hulking fram you tend to become a bit of a glass cannon. Dodge is a great way to mitigate a lot of incoming dps. In the early phase, some seals and the mastery will soak a lot of minion damage and keep your passive sheild up longer. Later Ninja Tabi, and Phantom dancer will stack to give you about a 30% dodge vs melee chumps who think they can handle the Malphinator...they can't.

CDR: whats better than Brutal strikes every 16 sec...Brutal strikes every 9.6 sec...which is what you get with max CDR. Your ult comes up about every 60 sec as well, so back to back team fights are more feisable than without.

Health: Probably the least advantagous of all stats you would actually want for Malph, this increases his passive, and thus his survivability. I have found his passive is only really effective in the early laning for poking, harrassing and farming. Late game it drops so quick its like its not even there most games. Stacking some health can help however, and an item like AoL or FM can give you a bit more of a buffer.

Major weaknesses:

AP Nukes: Your magic resist is ****. Your item selection will rarely help it. Play safe around Nukers. Use bushes and your team to ambush them amnd kill them before they can react. Ganking Ryze by poping burtalize in the bush, ulting him into the air, GS him while he flails like a rag doll and hitting him 1 time for a massive crit to finish the deed will make almost any AP nuker nerd rage.

Team Focused Attacks: Malph can be intimidating, and once you start wiping thier team they will try to focus you donw first. Your tanks and the rest of your team must not let this happen. This is where getting team buy in is important. If a real dedicated tank, with real tank like CC, can become your best friend, you can decimate just about any team before they finish you off.

Not playing as a true carry: Look if your playing DPS malph you gotta play like a carry. You are not the 1st one in the team fight anymore, forget that tank malph BS. The carry is usually the last one in the figth, not the first. This is fine because your ult allows for you to keep your distance from thier nukers until your tank and other team initiate and soak up some of their CC, then and only then do you pop in, bounce thier whole team for a few sec, and avoid a lot of abuse while maximizing your own effectiveness, and negating their teams advanatge as their CC is wasted since their all floating in the air while your team is held up.

Not having a good babysitter: Look they call it a carry for a reason. Your team carries you to the end of the game, and you carry them to victory. f you can get a lanemate with good support ot tanking skills, you should be fine till you start to become effective mid-late game. Without this, it becomes much harder, and you need to be extra careful to avoid ganks and compromising positions, even if the farmign is too sweet to pass up.

Timing your skills wrong: Tip #1...always pop brutalize BEFORE you use your ult. This ensures that your first swing during the stun will be for maximum damage. If it happens to be a crti your enemy might just drop a load as they hit less than 50% life from a 300 dam ult and 1 swing.

Tip #2...DO NOT...DO NOT...DO NOT waste your GS by comboing it with your ult! "But gap81, everyone knows thats how a tank Malph gets his huge Deeps...you noob" Agian...STFU...you are worthless and know nothing of the true power of the Malphinator. Ult/GS combo is a big mistake too many noob malphs make. Why?!?!?!? Because your GS slows their AS for...oh what is it.... like 3 sec i think. How long are they in the air after you ult them again...lets see...isnt that like 3 sec. Do they get to attack you during that time......hmm now let me think about this....NO NO NO NO NO!!! Wait for them to come down from your ult and THEN pop your GS to actually mitigate that imcoming damage. Dont be a chump, learn to play Malph like a pro and you will live to see those sweet sweet letters pop on your screen some day...A...C...E.

Tip #3: Always hit with your ult...ALWAYS!!! The only reason not to hit with your ult is if you made a nub mistake and had to use it like a flash to get away. Your ult being down for a min or more is far better than you being dead and coming back right when its ready to be used again anyways. Remember you can ult though certain barriers just like with flash. However, you cannot ult though enemy snares or stuns. Veigars ring will stop you cold if you ult through it, as will ryze and morgana stun attack if they catch you mid rush, and other similar enemy traps will too. Practice till you learn how the dam thing works (i find it off from where the recticle shows personally), and get good at knowing the best times to use it. This will mean the difference between scoring lots of ganks and winning most team figths, and falling flat on your rocky face.

I really need to make a full guide on this...this is my 3rd DPS Malph post this week, and nowhere is there a solid DPS Malph guide for those who have crossed over to the Deeps end. Hope this helps and look around, theire are some other threads with good info on this already.

noodle0117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2010

^ you sir, need to write an official guide for this.

DrPlague

07-24-2010

Hey Gap81, really nice write up. There was a couple of dps Malphite guides floating around in the past. I mean, beta stage past. So a long time ago.
Since the search function is disabled (was last time I tried anyway) it's kind of hard to keep any thread going unless it's bookmarked, like I did with this one.
So if you do write up a guide, I'd love to read it.
To be honest, I'm more of a tank Malphite player, but my mate knows how much I'd love to go dps Malph, but as you said, unless peopel know how damaging he can be, it's hard.
Solo queue when I pick Malphite we almost always have no tank, becasue they assume I am. Even if I say I'm going dps, if there's no other tank, guess what role I'm forced to play? =/
I love Malphite more than any other champ I'm really tempted to play DPS Malph if I can get someone to play a tank role for me