Dom Leona

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Magus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

I've seen it pop up a few times. Ricklessabandon said he loves to Dom Leona and thinks it works well. I am a huge Leona fan, and love to play her to fruition on SR...but Dom? I've tried a few games to get her to work in Dom, and like most people, I've come to conclusio nthat she seems like a really poor fit. Clearly there's others who disagree...

Hence the thread. Just what are you people who are playing Leona in CS doing? Going tanky does not seem to be nearly enough to keep her defending a point, especially by herself as CS often makes one do, but I also tried rushing trinity force like some people do (not something I feel is a good idea to do in SR for her) and that seemed even worse a choice. I've seen one instance of someone building Soul Shroud, but I have almost unequivocally given up that item as inferior to the Reverie anyways. So what sort of strategy/playstyle/item/skill build do you actually go with when you people say Dom Leona is worthwhile and fun?

Hawktitan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

I've tried leona a few times when she's been free, never with great success and I don't like her that much.

The best setup that I found was tanky/AP with CDR.

Start with Cat -> RoA
CDR Boots
Sheen (later into Lichbane)
Deathcap
Glacial Shroud
Finish Lichbane and Frozen Heart as able.

masteries 9/21/0
runes Magic Pen marks, ability power quintessence, armor seals, MR/level glyphs.

Like I said though I never did great with her but that was the setup I settled on.

Ascleph

02-11-2012

Cap her cdr
stick to your team
????
Proffit!

She has been played quite effectively in the weekly dominion tournament. Leona is an extremely powerful champion, the thing about her is that you need a team to play around her.

Bonabon

02-11-2012

She's really not meant to be on her own. She has maybe one of the scariest initiations if she catches any number of the enemy team close together. With high CDR she can stun people repeatedly, have strong uptime on her AR/MR shield, and more of dat ult. Zenith Blade and Eclipse give her a strong AoE presence, especially combined with her passive.

But she really needs a team behind her. You shouldn't have to worry about building much, if any, damage. Just do your job and be a tank. That said she'll have a harder time working in solo queue/low elo unless your team understands to rally around you. One of my most successful games involved a Leona tank simply because we went wherever she went.

Zaxasaxasazas

02-11-2012

vlad is a hard counterr

Stez007

02-11-2012

The key to playing Leona is to understand that you're the most annoying thing on the map. That's your job: be as annoying as possible.

To do that, you need a few things. First, you need to be tanky. You need to be tough enough to E into the enemy team and survive everything they throw at you. You can't, however, *just* buy the biggest health/armor/etc items you can, You need to plan your build early, and make it fit not only your opposition but your allies as well.

CDR is your most important stat. You want to have 40% CDR as soon as possible. There are a number of ways to do this. I personally prefer to use flat CDR blue runes, 4% from the offensive mastery and 5.4% at level 18 from the defense mastery. This gives me about 11% to start with, which I augment by buying a Kindlegem and boots as my starting items (along with 2 health and 2 mana potions). This starting build never changes for me; I find it's very solid considering Leona's W gives a decent bit of armor, and damage isn't her primary goal.

So that brings me to 21% CDR, which leaves me with several options. This is where I ask myself, "What do I need, and how can I best benefit my team?" I then consider the following options:

--Upgrading Kindlegem into Hextech Sweeper.
If I'm against any sort of stealth this is a given, but often I'll get it if I don't need any extra CDR (ie, I bought Frozen Heart) as it is extremely useful for map control, chasing, avoiding ganks, etc.

--Upgrading Kindlegem into Zeke's Herald, or just buying a Zeke's
If I have more than one autoattacker on my team, this is my go-to item. The aura may not be as good as Stark's, but it's still quite useful. I either get it instead of Sweeper or get the two together

--Upgrading Kindlegem into Shurelya's Reverie
The third option for Kindlegem, I tend to only get it if my team really lacks mobility. Can replace either of the above, but I usually don't get it if I get FH.

--Grabbing Glacial Shroud and turning it into Frozen Heart (either soon or later on)
If the enemy team is AD/autoattack heavy, I grab this ASAP. Often I'll upgrade my Kindlegem before finishing FH, but it depends on the situation.

--Upgrading boots to Merc Treads
Usually do this after I get one of the above. I don't often get Ninja Tabi and virtually never get Ionian's. I find that the tenacity and MR is almost always more useful than armor, and the CDR items I get are all worth getting in their own right; I have no reason to take Ionians over any of the above items.

So now I have my CDR at or near 40%, making me by far the most annoying thing on the field. I do everything in my power to be annoying: stick to my squishies and lock down anyone that tries to get at them; stick to the enemy squishies and keep them from getting anywhere near my team; gank bottom lane whenever it looks like they need it, or we have a free moment; keep people away from the speed shrines and storm shield.

Of course, if you deal *no* damage at all, there's not much reason for the enemy to bother with you. So that's why I run Magic pen reds, AP/level yellows and flat AP quints. I also usually pick up a Sheen after I have the above items, but I wait to turn it into Trinity Force. Abyssal Scepter is my primary MR item; I get plenty of health from Zeke's/Sweeper/Shurelya's so Odyn's isn't all that attractive, though if I need the extra burst and/or the enemy is seriously AP heavy I'll get that instead. Lastly, if I didn't get Frozen Heart I'll usually pick up a Warden's Mail (often instead of Sheen, if I needed MR too).

My final build varies, but here are some examples:

Sweeper/Merc's/Zeke's/Randuin's/Abyssal/Aegis==My team has 3 or 4 squishies, two of them autoattackers.

Sweeper/Merc's/Zeke's/Randuin's/Triforce/Abyssal==Standard 2-autoattacker build

Shurelya'sr/Merc's/FH/Triforce/Abyssal/Aegis== Vs heavy AD; low mobility on my team

Sweeper/Merc's/FH/Triforce/Odyn's...I think you get the point.

Your ideal situation is to have a team that's otherwise pretty light on CC, but not light on damage--especially lategame damage. You want to pick Leona if you have a relatively squishy team; I find that she's a perfect pick if you have an autoattacking bruiser like Shyvana and a strong, mobile AD carry like Sivir on your team (especially bottom lane). If you're the only CC on your team, though, dodge immediately. Not even an unkillable CC-bot like Leona will be able to make up for a total lack of CC on anyone else.

For Summoners, I usually take Exhaust and Revive. Exhaust for that extra CC in crucial fights, and Revive because it's incredibly strong on an initiator like Leona. Being able to jump back into the fray immediately with extra health *and* a movespeed buff is just invaluable. YMMV though, so keep spells like Ignite and Ghost in mind; both are strong on her, either complementing her team's damage or keeping her mobile.

TL;DR build CDR and to your team's needs, be annoying and may the sun shine upon your blades and the Great Parrot watch over you.

larkhill

02-11-2012

for the most part, Stez007 is right. your job is to be annoying.

dont forget about the locket though. if u have a lot of melee on ur team like jax or xin, locket can be a big help.

KrYoS

02-11-2012

How about this for a theorycrafted build:
Kindlegem
Boots of Speed
Health Potion (or 2)
-----------------
Merc's Treads
Glacial Shroud
Zeke's Herald
Negatron Cloak
Locket of the Iron Solari
Odyn's Veil
Frozen Heart
Aegis of the Legion

Any thoughts on this item build?

LegendaryEnemy

02-11-2012

I play Leona sometimes but not as much as I used to. You basically want to wait til the perfect moment to engage so that you can lock up a target and your team can make use of your passive.
Your shield stun and your ulti stun can be chained for 3 seconds of stun total. This is an important trick to master.
The very best stat on Leona is cdr

Runes:
Magic Pen Marks
Flat Armor Glyphs
1 CDR per Level glyph (.97%)
8 Magic resist per level glyphs
3 Movespeed Quints

Masteries are
9/21/0
Take flat cdr and magic pen in offense. In defense Its a bit complicated:
Basically max honor guard, evasion, indominatable and initiator. All of your CDR is on items for the most part.

Start boots1 red crystal blue crystal.
Your core build is Odyn's Veil, Ionian Boots and Frozen Heart.

With the three of these you max your defensive stats and cdr as soon as possible. The active on Odyn's gives you a little extra burst.

I like garrison more than revive on leona as she isn't amazing unless her team is alive to compliment her and garrison makes her near impossible to take a tower from.

Hugs From Momma

02-11-2012

Try Bligewater Cutlass. It's a diversion from getting tanky, but who attacks Leona first, anyways? You can chain E - Q - active - E - Q - R and keep someone locked up for a really long time. Exhaust makes you even more annoying.

I always play Garrison / Exhaust on tanks to initiate under towers with ease. If I could take 2 Garrisons, I probably would. Garrison wins games. Garrison.