Tear of the Goddess

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iProbie

02-11-2012

don't use tear for any non spammy casters at all, it's a generic rule.
the extra mana will go to waste if you can't survive a teamfight. so building more survivability or damage (via AP) is more important

only champs I see tear works on normal dominion games: ryze,sona,cass,karthus (there's maybe more that I missed)
seen some blitz and yorick going manamune too

however, in -arab games
glass cannon casters tend to grab tear early because AA arguably gives one of the highest amount of AP end game.
so many times where casters ended up with 1000-1100 AP and no boots.

Kiddalee

02-11-2012

You don't have to fill up your Tear. It only takes a small amount of mana to make the Tear or Tear Item pay for itself. You certainly don't need to half-fill it, which most people manage to do. Yet tanky mana items still compliment Tear Items, and work better on Dominion to boot. Tear is working just fine.

Lucian32

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-11-2012

I build Tear on Ryze, Yorick, and Urgot.

I like that it lets you spam the whole game even with CDR.

Mibuwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

This guide helped me reconsider why tear is a decent item in dominion; before I thought it strange for anyone to get it, but w/e.

FIGURES FOR RYZE* + TEAR

*this article is just about ryze, but I'm sure you could apply it to a bunch of champions if you give it a bit of thought/consideration.

MrMundungu

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
You know, I used to always start tear on Karthus, But I had my best game last night starting Catalyst and then rushing RoA and Ryalai's. Did excellent damage and didn't explode at a sideways glance from Tryndamere.
Yeah... actually, I only start Tear on Karthus against teams not including Trynd, Jax etc, because Tear just allows me to more liberally use his E on points and those champs just don't seem to care about Karthus' E very much at all... then I'd go Catalyst all day long and rely more on his W.

So I think we might actually be agreeing, even if that's not supposed to happen on the internet.

MrMundungu

02-11-2012

Tried Tear on EZ yesterday, not bad but you'd have to be better with than I am to make it work... everyone seems to build his items like Master Yi anyway, AP EZ looks to have gone the way of AP Yi in that everyone would rather AD for his high DPS over his AP burst/initiation.

Not that I disagree with them either, IMHO.

Tear/AA/MM are just a cool mechanic, I'll try it on any champ that can proc it at full speed and needs mana, until I'm convinced that I just can't make it work on that champ. It worked for me on Sona when I had a good Leona or Sejuani on my team, but those were the only games it beat out tankier items like Frozen Heart before the game ended.

Jan

02-11-2012

I agree it needs better scaling, but it is still ok.

Glorious Bird

02-11-2012

It's core on a lot of people and really important for mana hungry casters like Karthus.

v4v3nd3774

02-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hékate View Post
What champ actually really benefits from tear in dom aside from Ryze? Do manamune champs still build it in dom?

Every champ I built it on in SR i've switched to other items since it's overkill with dominion aura. Primarily SR item imo....
Kass, Swain, AP Kog, Urgot.

If you're playing for one to two small engagements and then returning to base, sure, many champs don't want or need tear. But if you want any lasting pressence on the map or are fighting longer engagements with no access to health shrines these champs definately can use(need) tear. Especially Kass and Swain.

nukular power

02-11-2012

Nothing makes me cry harder than seeing people buying Tear. It is, imo, the single worst item to buy for the early game. On Ryze the **** start is sort of justifiable (though I skip it on him even these days for Catalyst) but as someone else pointed out, starting with Tear on any other champ is basically starting with no items at all.

I dont care what some nerd mathed out about Ryze dps after a 30 minute game, because even in Arab, if 2/3 of your team starts with tear, there is practically 0% chance of you winning any groupfights. But hey, at least your mana will be full, I guess.