Dominion, Basic how to please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ahote126

02-11-2012

So i started playing a while back around the time miss fortune was the newest character and then i took a long break ( i blame minecraft) but now ive started up again and there is dominion and i was just hoping that someone could give me a quick basic 101 on the mechanics of the game.

202halffound

02-11-2012

Dominion is a 5v5 game mode set on a map called The Crystal Scar. The Crystal Scar is a circular map with 5 capture points (see image below).

Each team's nexus has 500 life points but cannot be damaged directly. Instead, it is damaged by controlling more of the 5 capture points than the enemy. Points are captured by right clicking on them. It takes roughly 7 seconds to capture a point. Getting damaged by a opposing champion will stop your capturing of the point.

Dominion is very fast paced game mode where matches last from 15 to 20 minutes usually. You start at level 3 and with more gold than in Summoner's Rift, meaning that there are often teamfights at the very start of the game.

The meta currently is 4 top, 1 bottom. People will usually try and capture the top point (Windmill) as fast as possible.'

EDIT: Is there anything I missed?

Jorick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

If you've ever played World of Warcraft, Dominion is like the Arathi Basin battleground. If not, read on.

Each team starts with 500 health on their Nexus. You can take health off of the enemy Nexus in three ways: killing enemy champions, completing quests, or controlling more capture points than the enemy. Killing enemy champions will reduce enemy Nexus health by 2 points each kill, but will stop doing any damage at 100 health (I think, not sure on the number, but it does stop counting somewhere in there). Quests are just things that pop up saying "capture this point while defending your own that the enemy wants to capture!" They'll always be adjacent points that you and the enemy team owns, first team to capture the designated enemy point will knock 20 points off the enemy Nexus health and get a 10% damage buff for a little while. Finally, holding more points than the enemy will reduce the enemy Nexus health each second, the damage being proportional to how many more points you hold; having 3 points will do sorta slow damage while holding all 5 at once will shred your enemy's Nexus for 5 points a second.

So, the basic idea is to get your enemy's points down to zero first. The main way of doing this is holding more capture points, since at a certain point this is the only way to win. Killing enemy champions and doing the quests just speed you along to this threshold. Try to always be holding 3 points, that's the main thing. You can run through the middle and capture a point from the side, or you can push minions to help you capture it, or you can zerg it with your team to grab it. Just try and hold 3 minimum at all times and you'll win the game.

So, that's all you really need to know to play it. A couple minor tips though. Last hitting minions isn't super important because you get a lot of gold passively, but it certainly can and does help, and killing enemy champions only rewards 100 gold a piece. Watch out for champions like Rammus and Master Yi who can rush your undefended points and neutralize it or capture it before anyone can get there. Some normal items (Warmog's, Bloodthirster, Banshee's Veil, Doran's items, stacking items like Mejai's) can't be purchased in Dominion. Many of them have replacement items, like Odyn's Veil for BV or Prospector's items for Doran's. Strong duelist champions excel in Dominion because of the focus on small skirmishes rather than 5 on 5 team fights. The little health packs sitting around on the map will restore health and mana; the buff thing in the middle of the map will give you a regenerating shield and make your attacks/spells do a little chain lightning damage effect every 4 seconds.

Can't think of anything else really necessary to know... That should be enough for you to be fine though.

ahote126

02-11-2012

sweet thanks guys

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2012

A number of the roles you might expect to see in Dominion (as I've named them). They aren't all always present and one champ can be more than one thing, but I believe each facet is important.

Tank: Similar as their role in SR, but the Dominion tank's job is to be able to sit on a held turret and HOLD it against as many attackers as possible, buying time until backup arrives. They also serve well as initiators for a fight on an enemy turret, soaking up those nasty turret shots for the squishies. Most of all, these guys have staying power.The Tanks go bot lane sometimes as a-

Pusher: With the current meta of "4 rush top, 1 push bot"(with someone capping mid along the way), the Pusher is the one to go bot lane. This plays the most like SR, laning against one champion, pushing minion waves to capture their turret. If get theirs, stay on it and hold it as long as possible. They specialize in killing minion waves quickly and harras.
Important to note, the Pusher wont stay Bot lane forever. Sooner or later, all organization tends to breaks loose and they'll go where they are needed, like anyone else.

Speedster: Not always present, but they can be very handy. Nobody can cross the map faster than these guys, such as Rammus, Yi, and Janna. While they do plenty well in skirmishes and teamfights, they also serve as Backdoor captures. The Refinery and the Drill ("mid" points) often are left vulnerable, as the teams focus on Top and/or Bot, and the Speedsters take advantage of this by "Backdoor"ing them when the enemy team is otherwise distracted. They may not hold it long or at all, but they can usually be in and out in relative saftey from ganks.
-and/or A (semi)global ultimate. Able to defend a turret from anywhere, travel time is a non issue. Panth, Karthus, Gangplank, Ziggs, Nocturne, Ashe- you get the idea.

Nuke: Every team loves an AP nuke, and Dominion is no exception. While not always able to defend a turret as well as a beefier champ (with some exceptions) an AP nuke usually has the range and utility/mobility to pester a held turret with some hard-hitting harass until teammates come in for the siege. Or, late game and fed, waltz in to 1 or 2 enemies holding a turret and just vaporize them before they can stop you.

Ranged AD: Less of a "role" as it is a teamcomp requirement. AD is never a bad thing and has some of the longest range, therefore best harass. Sometimes you can stop an enemy champ or 2 from capturing a neutral turret for a long while by just poking at them from far away every time they try to channel. Integral in skirmishes/teamfights.

Beefy Melee: Less utility than a tank, but just about as much staying power from sheer bulk. They only get harder to kill as the game goes on, and they sure don't suffer in the damage department. Usually big fans of lifesteal, like Xin-Zhao or Yi. Basically, they're a big bully and have no problem initiating without a tank or even on their own.
Wukong is a jerk. :P

------------

I think that's about it. This is all from my own experience, but I'm pretty confident in these being general expectation in Dominion.

Sauron

02-11-2012

This thread, which really needs to be stickied: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1544811

Absolutely excellent guide to the details that only experience would normally teach you.