[Guide] Soraka Pwnage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpooK

10-15-2009

Hey all,

So I did a brief search (through the above directory) and failed to find a similar build for Soraka, so I thought I would attempt to contribute to the community by imparting you all with my Soraka build.

Let me first start by saying that only choose Soraka if at least one of your allies is a tank; I've seen people play Soraka on teams full of squish and they're pretty useless.

Okay, so I will assume that everyone knows Soraka's abilities and her basic function as a support hero. Here is how you pwn with her:

Runes:
Opt for survivability (max dodge and health runes)

Mastery:
Typically at min 25 in Defense; the others as you see fit.

Spells:
Heal and Flash (can substitute flash for fortify if others on your team are getting fortify also)

Item Build:
1) Ruby Crystal - 1st purchase
2) Heart of Gold x2
3) Mercury Treads
4) Tear of the Goddess
5) Rylai's Scepter
6) Archangel's Staff
7) Zhyonya's Ring

That should pretty much bring you to the end of the game; if not, I would next sell a Heart of Gold and replace it with Frozen Heart.

This basic item build provides Soraka with crazy survivability. Which is really what she is about. Early game investment of 2xHeart of Gold will provide you with a continued source of income to supplement your fairly weak farming ability.

Skill Build:
1) Astral Blessing
2) Infuse
3) Astral Blessing
4) Infuse
5) Astral Blessing
6) Wish
7) Astral Blessing
8) Infuse
9) Astral Blessing
10) Infuse
11) Wish
12) Infuse
13) Starcall
14) Starcall
15) Starcall
16) Wish
17) Starcall
18) Starcall

When laning, make sure you stick with a tank; let him know in advance that during early game, Infuse will 90% of the time be used on you and not him. If you don't, he will likely b*tch at you for not giving him mana after he wasted it farming. Your build early game has nil for mana regen so make sure you use infuse only on yourself (unless it will give you a kill). Basically you should be able to stay in the lane untill you have enough for your 2xHeart of Golds.

If you've played well, by the time you are level 13 and getting your first starcall, you should be either completing or near completed Rylai's Staff. This item is key for Soraka as it broadens her support role 10 fold. With the aoe and low cd on Starfall, Soraka makes an excellent chaser late game; furthered by infuse.

Anyways, this is a fun and pretty solid build for Soraka. Hope you guys enjoy!

Burninator

10-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooK View Post
Hey all,

Let me first start by saying that only choose Soraka if at least one of your allies is a tank; I've seen people play on teams full of squish and they're pretty useless.
Fixed.

Quote:
This basic item build provides Soraka with crazy survivability. Which is really not what she is about. Pointless early game investment of 2xHeart of Gold will provide you with a continued source of income to supplement your awesome farming ability.
Fixed.

Quote:
No Skill Build:
1) Astral Blessing
2) Infuse
3) Astral Blessing
4) Infuse
5) Astral Blessing
6) Wish
7) Astral Blessing
8) Infuse
9) Astral Blessing
10) Infuse
11) Wish
12) Infuse
13) Starcall
14) Starcall
15) Starcall
16) Wish
17) Starcall
18) Starcall
Fixed.

Quote:
When laning, make sure you stick with a tank; let him know in advance that during early game, you will both be completely passive and useless. If you don't, he will likely b*tch at you for not giving him mana after he wasted it achieving lane control. Your build early game has nil for mana regen so make sure you completely waste infuse on a hero with low mana costs (yourself) (unless you can last-hit a hero that your mana-wasting tank harassed to death). Basically you should be able to stay in the lane neither farming nor harassing nor pushing until your gold ticks enough for you to buy more passive items that will allow your gold to tick slightly faster while you do nothing.

If you've played stupidly, by the time you are level 13 and getting your first starcall (lol, I won't bother editing that one, since it speaks for itself), you should be either completing or near completed Rylai's Staff (from here on refered to as moderately useful item #1). This item is key for Soraka as it broadens her support role 10 fold by allowing her to gank/chase. . . wait. . .
There we go. I fixed it for you.

Wait. . . I guess I should probably provide some feedback to supplement my trolling. Well, this build is just so . . . passive. Until you're level 13, you contribute NO damage, NO pushing, NO lane control. You basically just keep you and your lane-partner alive for the most crucial part of the game. Level 1 you should almost always go starcall. Why you choose to level up astral . . . well, it's kind of ok, since it does level up reasonably well, but infuse is just SO MUCH BETTER. You can basically choose to keep you and your partner healed most of the time, or level infuse and keep both of you full on mana ALL of the time WHILE spamming level starcall and heal. Then you get to push, deal AoE damage, farm, AND support. If you choose to go tanky soraka, that's fine. But tank soraka without a soul shroud is beyond me. So you essentially accomplish nothing while prolonging the game (because for all intents and purposes, it's a 5v4 for half the game where the 4 player side has moderately more HP and no XP boost) that you will almost inevitably lose unless you're against an equally passive (read: useless) team.

Floatzel

10-16-2009

As a heavy soraka player, I can honestly say this build is utter ****.
Basically all you achieve is keeping your lane partner alive and sucking up all his XP. You would be better off leaving him alone so he can at least level. Early game you DO NOT need astral blessing that much. Level 1 astral blessing will give your lane much needed survivability. Anything more is overkill. If everything time you astral bless you are taking them from fairly damaged to full health, you likely have too many ranks in the skill.

Infuse is insane. You need it to keep your lane partner going and you going. It provides lane control by proxy by allowing more spam of skills on both champions parts. It can also be a clutch live saver to silence that singed before a throw or silence a twitch before the expunge or even just to get the mana to ult.

Starcall is insane. Absolutely nuts. This spell lane controls so hard it is almost unreal. It also farms like a mother ****er and its damage is nothing to scoff at. One big thing most soraka players dont think about that is very important is using starcall to help your teammate farm. At level 3 or so, 3 starcalls should put the caster minions to very low health but not quite kill them. If you have a lane partner that has a hard time farming (like kassidin, lets say) then you can set up easy last hits for him on each wave to make sure hes getting his money.the difference that 60 gold a wave can make on a character like kassidin would blow your mind.

Here is my typical build
1. Starcall (I use this at every possible CD, landing champion hits as much as i can to push them back. This will net you a VERY quick level 2 so this level is basically free.)
2. Infuse (should be bloody obvious)
3. This is where things CAN change. If I am getting harassed and punished for calling alot, astral blessing. If I am able to starcall freely whenever I want, infuse. If my starcalls are limited but I am still getting them off, I take starcall.
4. from here on, I take a blend of starcall and infuse (typically taking infuse when I notice my mana curve going south) and taking ult whever I can.

Items
1.amplifying tomb 1 mana pot
2. turn into lucky pick
3. lucky pick
4. sorc boots
5. rylai scepter
6. fiendish codex or soul shroud. Either works fine here.
7. sell picks when needed to by things like abysal scepter and lich bane

I know it might seem strange to get gold items but bear in mind, you will be using your starcall to help your partner farm. He almost definitely needs money more than you do.

With this build, you will actually be quite the terror in team fights and with a full page of CD and CD masteries, you will be Ulting every 36 seconds once it hits level 3. Its AP scaling is absurd so you will most likely full heal your entire team when you blow it.

aww hell. I'm just gonna write a GOOD soraka guide in the next few days. I just need to work out some specifics.

also
I think that people should have to be at least senior members to post guides.

SpooK

10-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatzel View Post
also
I think that people should have to be at least senior members to post guides.
Hah. Senior member joining at a later date then myself? Seniority is based on forum posts bro.

Honestly, if you guys aren't fans of the build, that's cool. It's not for everyone, but it does lead to utter pwnage. I win nearly 90% of my solo que games and usually end up with a K : D ratio of 5:1, 9:2, etc. Survivability is essential to Soraka. People see her and they focus fire. Take out the healer first; common knowledge. Being able to escape that fire and come back to heal at 80hp/sec is pretty rad. I find people who focus on builds such as my colleague's above are much too squishy. No armor, low life, low magic resist... :\

Any team who knows anything about the game should be able to flash in and take out that build in a few seconds.

Lollerman

10-16-2009

Ironically, this is the old Soraka build back in August before she got re-nerfed and re-buffed.

The Soraka NOW is much, much, MUCH more viable getting at least an early level of Starcall if for nothing else but the -MR stack, getting it late game would mean Soraka has no spammable spells, no presence (a 2 second silence that does questionable damage and a 35 armour buff that can't be used one more than one person at a time due to duration nerf and CD increase).

Starcall late game means you rack up kills slowly, and you'll be dealing a lot less damage without Starcall mid-game. Not to mention you take forever to kill golem/lizard for their buffs. Blessing doesn't increase the armour buff, only regen, nor decrease mana cost or CD, so 1 point is generally fine. The extra regen is overkill unless you're actually making use of it, like laning aggressively. All in all, much easier to go Starcall over Blessing. It's still a good spell, but maxing it out early is useless for both early game and late game; you save one guy at a time, slowly, big deal.

And yeah, it's not like your build is bad or anything, and the other guys could've cut you some slack, but the build ain't playing to her strength, and you emphasise odd things to look out for only because you omit to counter them in your own build, like needing a tank to stay alive. Tank or no tank, if they want to focus Soraka, unless your tank is Anivia, they're going to kill Soraka.

Soraka can survive fine on her own with the right items; try an offensive support, taking Starfall early. The money you make with Starfall will be able to afford you RoA very, very quickly. If not RoA, you could always grab Sunfires (coupled with Starfall, it's absolute murder), and Wyrmogs works great too, and you can actually rack up your HP quickly if you got Starfall. All in all, you don't want to stack armour, you want more HP, and MP, and AP, RoA is good for any kind of Soraka, and the early Catalyst will help you in ganks; that HP/MP heal mid-battle when you level up literally means saving your entire team with continued Starfall support, and the mana-heavy Wish.

allistrom

Adjudicator

10-16-2009

Quote:
Hah. Senior member joining at a later date then myself? Seniority is based on forum posts bro.

Honestly, if you guys aren't fans of the build, that's cool. It's not for everyone, but it does lead to utter pwnage. I win nearly 90% of my solo que games and usually end up with a K : D ratio of 5:1, 9:2, etc. Survivability is essential to Soraka. People see her and they focus fire. Take out the healer first; common knowledge. Being able to escape that fire and come back to heal at 80hp/sec is pretty rad. I find people who focus on builds such as my colleague's above are much too squishy. No armor, low life, low magic resist... :\

Any team who knows anything about the game should be able to flash in and take out that build in a few seconds.
lol you guys need to chill and play some gamecube BRO!!!..anyways just thought id like to say that both guides have different play styles, but depending on teammates either can be a viable choice, so call down with the flaming pls. personally i like a more pure ap build on soraka where even if i have lowish life my astral blessing can give enough armor and hp regen paired w my other heals (i get summoner heal also) to run away from most ganks when they come, i have only lost 3 out of like 25 games playing as soraka when i do this, and it works for me, but whatever you want to do, not all different builds are **** so chill out please..thats about it...

oh and these forums only been up from the other site since july, so chill w the i've been a member longer than you bs because a month isn't that long

Floatzel

10-17-2009

While I admit, this build WILL keep your partner alive, it is imperative that you and your partner be willing to lane switch to a good matchup for your partner. Still, if this build is really gonna be all about helping your lane partner, I can't stress at least 2 early ranks in starcall to help set up last hits for them.
Without starcall, soraka just has no presence and will put your pushing at a disadvantage unless you are against a solo.

Also, I again reiterate the overkill of your regen and survivability items. If you have good AP right off the bat, your regen is made better by this. With 50AP I think level one blessing should give 11 + 11 per second.

SmecssRaege

10-17-2009

honestly if your building astral blessing and infuse... i'd way rather be with a high mana user nuker...who would make way better use of your infuse and astral blessing.

IE:
Annie, Veigar, Teemo (not SO much teemo, as his lane control is ****, but his ability to harass makes up for it to a degree) Nasus (maybe..) Sivir (spiral blade spam?! great harassing/lane control) etc. etc.

Your build would much better be suited to someone who makes up for the damage you completely lack via casts to make infuse useufl to them :P (although not bad to be used as a nuke either ^^ )