Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Losing with a high score

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CommodoreSkippy

02-20-2012

Scores absolutely mean something. The only thing that makes them deceptive is someone going fro constant backdoors that are taken back immediately. But even then, the distraction to the 1 or 2 enemy champs who go to take it back has some value in itself, and it's far from impossible to overcome the BD'ers score from legitimately good gameplay and decisions.

In short, you CAN be in 1st and be the reason you lose IF your teammates are not very good in the first place and you love to chase pointless Backdoors. Generally though, I'd say "No."

larkhill

02-20-2012

Quote:
CommodoreSkippy:
Scores absolutely mean something. The only thing that makes them deceptive is someone going fro constant backdoors that are taken back immediately. But even then, the distraction to the 1 or 2 enemy champs who go to take it back has some value in itself, and it's far from impossible to overcome the BD'ers score from legitimately good gameplay and decisions.

In short, you CAN be in 1st and be the reason you lose IF your teammates are not very good in the first place and you love to chase pointless Backdoors. Generally though, I'd say "No."

o really? ok...

5th place loser beats 1st place winner in score.

no troll teammates. no troll builds. no troll champs. cass vs yorick bot.

score is worthless.

EternalGreen

02-20-2012

Quote:
CommodoreSkippy:

The theories you put out have some merit to them. However in the case of the original poster and the way he posed his question, it came across as he was making the following equation

High Score = The Way to win at Dominion

In Dominion achieving a High Score so you can have a gold 1 beside your name should take a backseat to playing the game objective in order to win.

Basically while Score can shed some insight to what went right/wrong in a game, it should not be considered the "measuring stick" to how much someone contributed to a win/loss.

Phourc

02-20-2012

Quote:
Larkhill:

It kinda looks like you all sat around capping the same towers to me xP

CommodoreSkippy

02-20-2012

Quote:
Larkhill:
o really? ok...

5th place loser beats 1st place winner in score.

score is worthless.

If comparing your individual score to a member of the enemy team's individual score was how the system was built to work, you might have a point. Unfortunately, it's not.
Lets say, for example, if one team keeps backdooring and the other reclaims points with minions, that raises a large gap in the Team's total score without reflecting game performance at all.
Each team can basically be considered their own standalone graph.

So in fact, your screenshot helps validate my point. By that I mean that you Capp'd and Neut'd more points than most of your enemy team, except for your 1st place Wukong. Your score reflects that of a Backdoor fan. While you capped and neutralized a lot of points, your abyssmal K/D/A kept you down at last place while the vastly better ratios (assists especially) of your teammates more than compensated for your rush for turret points. Like I said, good gameplay and teamwork can overcome a crummy point-hunting BD'er.

Quick breakdown:
1st. Wukong: Exceptional K/D/A, Most points captured. Deserves first place.
2-4th. Teammates: Good K/D/A (nice assists, Blitz), medium turrets capped. Deserve middle places.
5th. Cassiopeia: Worst K/D/A in game, Great turret caps.

You scores indicate you being a Backdoor champ or a crummy Botlane who thinks their job is to never leave bottom lane. If you fought with your team, you would at least have high assists like the rest of your teammates (all of whom have exceptional assists aside from Wukong, because he got the kills)
Instead, it seems you were likely running solo, Backdooring points and attempting to fight on your own. Your successful caps netted you a great amount of points (compared to the enemy team) but your lack of teamwork means that on your team, you deserve last place.

And all of this was reflected in the score. Look at that.

CommodoreSkippy

02-20-2012

Quote:
EternalGreen:

In Dominion achieving a High Score so you can have a gold 1 beside your name should take a backseat to playing the game objective in order to win.

Basically while Score can shed some insight to what went right/wrong in a game, it should not be considered the "measuring stick" to how much someone contributed to a win/loss.

I agree completely. I just don't like it when people claim that scores don't mean anything.

Ohforfsake

02-20-2012

The team with the better k/d/a wins 95% of the games. So....... how important are caps vs kills overall?

Huniz

02-20-2012

Quote:
Ohforfsake:
The team with the better k/d/a wins 95% of the games. So....... how important are caps vs kills overall?

A team thats holds 3 points should have more k/d/a because they are defending better.