the new way to run LoL in ubuntu (working!)

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

urmamasllama

02-08-2012

with the newest version of wine 1.4 you can run everything in the league client perfectly
(except the store crashes still)
and a few other issues
UPDATE: its gotten easier!
This guide is specifically for Ubuntu Linux but most of the steps should apply for any debian system so long as you find your corresponding deb
the steps are also quite simple and i will list them here

Step one install the wine from the software center 1.4 or higher

step 3 install the latest version of wine (at least some iteration of 1.4) and winetricks

step 4 use winetricks to install these things "vcrun2005", "d3dx9 (and all of the d3dx9_XX dll's )" and "corefonts"

step 5 go here http://get.adobe.com/air/thankyou/?i..._3.1_for_Win32 and install this

step 6 go to winecfg and set windows version to windows 7

step 7 install or copy over a previous install of league of legends

step 8type these commands (replace user with whatever it should be)

Quote:
cd "/home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Riot Games/League of Legends/RADS/system"
Quote:
WINEDEBUG=+ntdll wine "rads_user_kernel.exe" run lol_launcher $(ls ../projects/lol_launcher/releases/) LoLLauncher.exe
if the patcher hangs keep closing it and retrying this make take several attempts
that should do it if you have any questions or anything goes wrong feel free to ask

or you can find most of this information scattered around here http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=69279

forgot to mention to improve your framrate got to the video options in game and set framerate cap to high

GogoGGK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2012

edit: does this work on wine 1.3 or 1.2, if not how do I get wine 1.4 ( I have problems with finding how to install it)

urmamasllama

02-10-2012

you have to use the 1.4 rc to get it to work

getting it is step one follow the link provided in step one

help you a bit more though in a bit ill post screenshot of how to use the launchpad page cuz i know its a little confusing at first

urmamasllama

02-10-2012

step one follow the link above it will bring you to the first picture

step two click "technical details about this ppa"

step three select your version of ubuntu in the drop down menu and copy what i highlighted

step four right click what i highlighted and select save link as

step five open up software sources (if you use unity just search software) go to the other software tab and click add then paste the copied deb line from step three into it

step six go to the authentication tab and click import key file then go find the file you downloaded in step four and add it.(you may be given an error message but it should still work fine)

beyond this if you havent already, download the beta version of wine then go to the update manager push refresh it should have an update for wine. if that doesn't work download synaptic package manager refresh the archives and search for wine then download the wine beta

xBiocorex

02-16-2012

There's no /rads/system in my LoL installation.

urmamasllama

02-16-2012

you don't have a rads folder?

then you aren't looking in the right place

are you using the ACE client because this ins't for that

PimpHandOfGod

02-17-2012

At what stage of the install process do you install LoL? Did you use the normal installer or something else?

urmamasllama

02-17-2012

its before all of this personally i just copied over my windows installation into location i show in the guide that makes it much easier

the normal installer is supposed to work though if you want to do it that way then it would be between step 6 and 7

Selthus

02-22-2012

Just finished installing. Works pretty well. Store doesn't load as you mentioned, but every other tab seems to work.

The frames I was getting in a custom game vs. A.I seemed to cap at 30-35 at medium settings vs 60 in windows on high settings I'm afraid how low they'll get in big team fights.

I'm curious how your performance is?

Selthus

02-22-2012

After playing a game I noticed my frames making significant drops by the 15-20 min mark. Becoming virtually unplayable.
Also for me I can only get the game to work after a fresh installation, otherwise the launcher stalls at 0%.
The health bar at the bottom of the screen is permanently full regardless of how much missing health you have and the recall bar is also permanently full regardless of how long you've been channeling.

Just a heads up for people, its not time to remove your Windows copy just yet.

12345 ... 7