Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Minor Thoughts on "Attention-Grabbers"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doctor Awesome

07-26-2009

Hi folks, super newbie here, but I figured I'd share a few thoughts I've been having on the UI. These will be mostly noob-oriented, of course, and will have little effect on "pros", but I figure anything that can make it easier for newbies to understand what's going on is a good thing.

Overall, I've actually liked it pretty well, having a nice blend of style and functionality. It took a little getting used to, but I've grown to like it a lot. However, I think there are a few things that often merit grabbing your attention, but don't seem to stand out enough.

First, the little "+1" tabs that pop up over your skills when you level don't really command my attention. I thankfully was looking for them the first time I played, but when watching a friend play, I found that he could almost go a whole level without noticing the fact that he hadn't spent the point yet. If the purple parts of these tabs blinked or something, I think it would be a good way to remedy this.

Auxiliary to this problem, I think it could also originate from the fact that he never noticed when he leveled up in a fight; the blue flash visual cue is pretty good, as is the "Level Up!" message, but in a fight with fireballs and explosions and lightning flying everywhere, it can be hard to distinguish from the fireworks. A simple, distinctive audio cue would resolve this--a short fanfare of sorts.

Thirdly, I found it took me several games to spot when someone pinged the map or marked an enemy; the sound is very noticeable, but the actual mark on the map itself is not, and as a result it's hard to know that the noise corresponds to the ping. Several games I found myself saying, "Where is that noise coming from? Is that a glitch?"

I think having an attention-grabbing visual effect on the map would serve to remedy this--perhaps the "(!)" icon could start very large and contract inward on its target, or lines could be drawn outward from the sides, top and bottom of it, as a sort of crosshair. This can be particularly helpful if one is trying to target an enemy champion, as it will prevent the viewer from trying to pick out the ping from the champion icons.

In any case, those are my thoughts for now. I'm enjoying the game greatly, and look forward to it only getting better!

Modica

07-26-2009

As for points 1 and 2, meh. However, for point 3 I do agree. When someone pings the map I usually spend about 2-3 extra seconds looking for it. The yellow exclamation point blends too well into the yellow map as well : (.

Azunyan

07-26-2009

It's hard to find it indeed. I think it should be changed to something other than a ! mark, something unique and eye-grabbing showing that something is going on here in this general area.

Usually circles with a glowing and pulsating effect tend to work out well! I guess I could still settle for a ! mark but I like to know the general area a bit more precisely than a ! mark would show.

Also I'm having it hard to find heroes especially if they are surrounded by different visual objects or effects because these tend to be as noticeable or far more noticeable than some heroes can be. Sometimes I even have trouble finding my own hero in places of many visual objects! I'm accustomed to looking for the glows that you had in the Warcraft 3 DotA map.

TyEzz

Recruiter

07-27-2009

something else that could help this case would be a button on the keyboard used to take your screen straight to the last spot pinged.. that way it would be simple to actually see what was going on rather just something listening to the pinging noise

FrozenStorm

07-29-2009

Agree on the level-up mechanic, I too was looking for it but do often forget that i've leveled up. Auditory cues would be fantastic, and slightly more shine to the +1's would be great as well.

As for pings, I'd refer people to this thread:

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1765

My idea was to add custom mini icons for different types of attention grabbing (i.e. shield for a defensive ping, sword for pushing ping, jolly rodger for a ganking ping etc) with corresponding auditory cues. Seems like a good idea to me, let me know your thoughts ^^