100% Ryze Ban in KOE Tournament..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chinfinger

02-07-2012

Why is this? I'm low elo and don't see many ryze players. Why are the top players in the world 100% consistently banning ryze?

Rylentlar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2012

He has a huge amount of nuke damage and it's all point click. Plus you add in the CC and the near endless amount of damage he can gain from his max mana passive. His only real drawback is his short range.

chinfinger

02-07-2012

any other takes on this? Pro teams seem to ban OP team fight champs. AKA champs that can dramatically change the way team fights turn out. If this is true, how does Ryze fall in this category? I understand his ult is slightly AOE, but usually teams are at least a little spread out.

Boomstick II

02-07-2012

He's a tanky AP champ that can constantly dish out a lot of damage... most AP carries aren't tanky like that. That would be my guess anyway. Plus, FH is core on him so no one else needs to build it to have that -20% AS aura (as in, allows other items for support and tank).

hummanchicken

02-07-2012

well Ryze pretty much roll just about anyone late game with 5-6k mana and 3-3.5k hp lots of armor a good amount of mr and tons of dmg because he scales off mana so well.

corallein

02-07-2012

He's good and a lot of the teams there have AP carries that like using him (like M5).

Goumindong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2012

Part of it is because he is good. Once the late game rolls around he is both a tank and ranged AP burst. He doesn't need blue(except maybe the second), his common items/mastery builds will cap his CDR) which means that you can donate that blue to your jungler or bottom or support. and he has magic resist shred which means that his damage is strong all game long except against the strongest of MR stacking enemies.

A competent player that knows how to handle him can mitigate his early game weaknesses and once high levels of CDR come about pretty much negate the entirety of his cooldowns thanks to his passive.

In addition, his ultimate, which is on a short cooldown(before you consider that its CD is reduced each time you use your abilities... which is pretty often), turns his great sustained ranged AP damage into an AoE that will ruin a team.

I would be willing to be that some of the people who banned him thought not only that he was a strong champion of the other AP mid, but also that he might counter the middle pick of the other team.

Chingmeister

02-08-2012

Most players don't have the max mana runeset to go with him...and really only him...do you really want to spend roughly 10k IP on runes for 1 champ?

Warrrrax

02-08-2012

Most don't use mana runes with Ryze, as they are really pretty bad from an efficiency point of view.

Red is still magic penetration.
Yellow is still armor or health/lvl. Both are better than flat mana or scaling mana.
Blue is still CDR for maxing or Magic resistance. Both still better than mana.
Quints - flat mana is tempting but MoveSpeed is really good, as is more MPen, HP5, etc.

Devious Rogue

02-08-2012

First off, I play Ryze 90% of the time. I'm not what you'd call good, but I can manage. But wow, he's banned a lot? Now...

Ryze's 5 second burst combo is comparable to the best of AP bursters. Not the best, and he doesn't supress like Malz, silence like Kass, etc etc. However, in the space of ~25 seconds, he could dish out 10 spells, 7 of them being nukes dealing damage as high as in the 700+ range. Each. That's more damage than any other AP champ I can think of unless perhaps Fiddlesticks hitting over 80% with Crowstorm. That's also without taking into account the bouncing Spell Flux, MRed and AOE. (Put two enemy champs right next to each other and see what happens.)

The other factor being he stands a good chance of surviving long enough to do that much damage. Sure, he doesn't have damage mitigation abilities, and he'll never be able to dive into a bush and initiate like Rammus/Amumu and expect to come out of it in good shape, but where most other AP squishies stack AP items, Ryze increases his damage by increasing his mana. AP items generally don't synergize with tankiness. Maybe a bit at most (Rylais, ROA) but not enough AP, and they won't be able to punch. Ryze on the other hand increases his damage by increasing his mana pool, and it's a lot easier to become tanky that way. Frozen Heart, Rod of Ages, Banshee's Veil. All of them increase his mana pool greatly, especially the Rods of Ages while simultaneously boosting Health, Armour, Magic Resist and give him interesting boosts like Reducing the attack speed of nearby enemies by 20% and blocking an unfriendly spell every 45 seconds, further enhancing his ability to stay alive for longer. The only non-boots item that doesn't contribute to tankiness is his Tear of the Godess / -> Archangel's Staff, which, at it's peak, increases his mana pool by a mind-boggling 1400.

His mana pool and mana regen also means he pretty much never runs out of Mana late game.

His items, also being relatively cheap while maintaining effectiveness, (Tear, Boots, Shroud, ROA, ROA/Banshees) allows even mediocre farming champs to buy more wards for their team more often.

So in summary, he does as much damage as any AP carry given a few more seconds to live, he's tankier than most tanky DPSs, he bursts much more often and his items can be very cost efficient. Also, thankyou to Goumindong for pointing it out, he doesn't need Blue, meaning someone else on his team can have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goumindong View Post
Part of it is because he is good. Once the late game rolls around he is both a tank and ranged AP burst. He doesn't need blue(except maybe the second), his common items/mastery builds will cap his CDR) which means that you can donate that blue to your jungler or bottom or support. and he has magic resist shred which means that his damage is strong all game long except against the strongest of MR stacking enemies.

A competent player that knows how to handle him can mitigate his early game weaknesses and once high levels of CDR come about pretty much negate the entirety of his cooldowns thanks to his passive.

In addition, his ultimate, which is on a short cooldown(before you consider that its CD is reduced each time you use your abilities... which is pretty often), turns his great sustained ranged AP damage into an AoE that will ruin a team.

I would be willing to be that some of the people who banned him thought not only that he was a strong champion of the other AP mid, but also that he might counter the middle pick of the other team.
I agree with your entire breakdown except possibly the bit about him countering the middle pick of the other team. He can definitely sit on some champions very hard, but a lot do okay against him I think. Or maybe it's because I'm not that good that I'm not dominating mid often as Ryze.