[Guide] The Misunderstood Yeti, A guide to Nunu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alyzar

07-23-2010

Disclaimer: Expect punctuation related errors. I was rather tired at the time of writing this.

Out of every hero I've ever played, watched, or associated with in the game, Nunu is by far, without a doubt, the most underused, misunderstood, underestimated, misused hero in the game. People have a tendency to play him horribly wrong, and this leads to players disliking him because they never see a Nunu rise past mediocrity.

Pros:

1.) Early Game Effectiveness. Nunu is a powerhouse early game, and therein lies the fault with 90% of players who have tried Nunu. They fail to realize it, and they fail to utilize it. Why does he have major early game potential?
a.) Persistence. Feel free to ask yourself why most early game kills get away. More then likely, the answer is the long cool downs on your slows and stuns. Nunu alleviates this. With a level 3 Ice Blast alone, he cuts the speed of any opponent in HALF. Assuming he's scored a level 1 Blood Boil (1 Consume and 1 on his ultimate) that's an effective 61% slow. Nonstop.
b.) Burst. What turns into a CC magnet in the later game is a complete decimation of the vast majority of the opponents he faces. His ultimate is incredible ontop of his already pack-punching snowballs. Nunu can essentially roam come level 5-6 and score double kills in multiple lanes left and right simply due to how much damage he outputs and how much he synergy he has with EVERY hero in the game.

2.) Anti Carry + Carry support. Any carry on your team will learn to appreciate you and any enemy hero will learn to hate you. His Blood boil has more +Attack speed then ANY item in the game and his snowball literally cancels out certain attack speed items, and if it doesn't do that, it cuts them in half at least, and they are both persistent through the fight, completely, 100% spammable with zero downtime. A well played nunu equates to the carry being able to ignore Attack speed completely and focus on other things with no loss or keep their build the same and have AS through the roof.

3.) Versatility. Nunu can fill so many different roles. Support, Ganker, Disabler, Nuker, situational tank. This is why he has so much synergy with just about every hero in the game. He fits into nearly every team comp.

Cons

If you play Nunu properly, there is really very little on the negative side. He has no hard stun, but it does little to hurt him. He isn't as amazing as a tank as say, Shen, but what he trades up in exchange for it is truly amazing IF utilized correctly.

Spells

Ghost and Cleanse. The two most (In my opinion) useful spells for Nunu. Run in with a Banshee's veil and pop your ult. Watch all of them scramble to stun you, pop cleanse, don't miss a beat.

Masteries:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1279906370

Items / The Game:

Skills

I've seen people do some very weird (bad) things with their skills. Maxing Consume first is a big one. This is what you should be doing.

Level 1: Ice Blast
Level 2: Consume
Level 3: Ice Blast or Blood Boil

Then it goes Ice Blast > Blood Boil > Consume. You do NOT need to max consume to utilize it properly. All you need is 1 level for enough regeneration in the early game and to kill golem / dragon.

Items

For a starter item, you have to ask yourself the question "Am I capable as Nunu?" If the answer is yes, you can gladly start with a Ruby Crystal and use Consume to keep your health up until you have enough gold for Catalyst (Your first item.) If you are unsure, just grab a Doran's Shield.

As I said, the second I have enough gold, I port back and grab my catalyst. This, ontop of consume effectively solves a vast majority of any lane-staying power issues you might have. I'll then buy Mercury Treads (Holding off on Banshee's to really use my Catalyst to it's full potential) and then get a Banshee's.

I always get Banshee's veil in every game I play unless their team legitimately has 0 stuns or silences. Health, mana, and it forces them to waste an additional spell on you when coupled with your ult.

There we have it. That is your core.

Banshee's Veil,
Mercury Treads (Ninja Tabi is a viable option if they are seriously physical DPS as it works well with your dodge masteries).

Past that it depends somewhat on who you are fighting, although not to worry, as I plan to explain many situations.

Best Case Scenario

You're pubstomping them. You have 1 or 0 deaths and a nice amount of kills ontop of assists. A fed nunu works amazingly well with Snowball items as he isn't very item dependent in the early game, so go ahead and Grab a Leviathan, and after that, even a Mejai Soulstealer, leading up to an eventual Guardian Angel. Nunu is really good at getting ahead of the enemy team very early on, and it ruins their morale when you are walking around with 15/15-20/20 on both of your items ontop of a Guardian Angel ready to proc in case you get in trouble.

Realistically.

Heavy Physical DPS

Glacial Shroud into Frozen Heart - This makes you a HUGE pain against phys teams. The synergy between Frozen Heart and your other abilities, for lack of a better word, is arousing.

Heavy Caster Team

Quicksilver Sash - This ontop of cleanse is so amazing because when you ult, they are forced to attack you, but their stuns do NOTHING. They use their two stuns, and you cleanse, and sometimes they will attempt to stun you again in an attempt to shut you down and then you sash. Good job enemy, you just wasted 3 of your stuns on a tank and it did absolutely nothing.

Force Of Nature - Another good item against teams with really hardcore bursting characters like Anivia and Ryze. Your MR will be through the roof and their burst will only tickle you. The +Speed and regen is nice, also.

Multi Purpose Items

Guardian Angel - This is an item I always get. It works. It gives you a nice amount of MR and Armor. Simply put. It works well and saves your life enough to make a note of it.

Spirit Visage - This is an item that I sometimes pick when I am facing a diverse team and have already got a Frozen Heart. The stacked cool downs work very well with Nunu although there are usually better choices.

Runes

Movement Quints. Need I say more?

LMAOcopter

07-23-2010

Can you talk a little more about why you prefer red crystal over blue crystal? A blue crystal will give you more mana to consume if you're getting attacked or ice blast if your health is fine.

Can you explain cleanse + your ulti more? For example, if you're doing your ulti, and you get stunned, if you cleanse right away the ulti still goes off full blast?

Alyzar

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMAOcopter View Post
Can you talk a little more about why you prefer red crystal over blue crystal? A blue crystal will give you more mana to consume if you're getting attacked or ice blast if your health is fine.

Can you explain cleanse + your ulti more? For example, if you're doing your ulti, and you get stunned, if you cleanse right away the ulti still goes off full blast?
Every 7th attack, Nunu gets a free spell. Consume also costs a whopping 60 mana. If you still need blue crystal after that, I think you need to conserve your mana more efficiently.

No, the idea is that they wasted all of their stuns on a tanky character only to have it cleansed away. Your ult does damage based on how long you hold it for.

johnnymo87

07-23-2010

Good guide, I use your early game build (ruby crystal > catalyst > boots) on so many of my tanks.

Maybe you should throw in a word or two about how to counter heimer? All you need to do is run smite and max consume first, and just follow heimer wherever he goes. And for the lulz, you can /all "hey heimer, how does it feel to be pushed?"

EDIT: Also, wanna talk more about runes? I run HP quints and magicpen reds always, and either manaregen yellows and CDR blues or dodge yellows and manaregen blues. Thoughts?

Alyzar

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymo87 View Post
Good guide, I use your early game build (ruby crystal > catalyst > boots) on so many of my tanks.

Maybe you should throw in a word or two about how to counter heimer? All you need to do is run smite and max consume first, and just follow heimer wherever he goes. And for the lulz, you can /all "hey heimer, how does it feel to be pushed?"

EDIT: Also, wanna talk more about runes? I run HP quints and magicpen reds always, and either manaregen yellows and CDR blues or dodge yellows and manaregen blues. Thoughts?
I suppose, although maxing Consume first is very excessive. At level 18, Heimer's guns have 673, having a mere 316 at level 1.

Regarding runes, I just run Movement quints and magic pen.

johnnymo87

07-23-2010

I'm borrowing the anti-heimer idea from nicosharp's recent post in this forum. And yes, it's the complete opposite skill build order than what you would normally build.

I think maxing consume first for this strategy is necessary to reduce its cooldown (with the 6% CDR from runes and the 9% CDR from masteries), so that you can consume/smite a turret as soon as heimer puts one down.

Alyzar

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymo87 View Post
I'm borrowing the anti-heimer idea from nicosharp's recent post in this forum. And yes, it's the complete opposite skill build order than what you would normally build.

I think maxing consume first for this strategy is necessary to reduce its cooldown (with the 6% CDR from runes and the 9% CDR from masteries), so that you can consume/smite a turret as soon as heimer puts one down.
Heimer isn't a big enough of a deal to me to completely change my playstyle around for the sole purpose of eating his turrets.

Danaan

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
I suppose, although maxing Consume first is very excessive. At level 18, Heimer's guns have 673, having a mere 316 at level 1.

Regarding runes, I just run Movement quints and magic pen.
It's not about the health scaling of consume. It's about cooldowns and keeping up with Heimer's ever increasing CDR/cooldowns per rank. That's why you rank consume up first. Basically to be able to eat a turret the moment he drops it.

Alyzar

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danaan View Post
It's not about the health scaling of consume. It's about cooldowns and keeping up with Heimer's ever increasing CDR/cooldowns per rank. That's why you rank consume up first. Basically to be able to eat a turret the moment he drops it.
I know, I just don't feel the need to gimp my blood boil when I can just as easily Ice Blast + Punch it does.

johnnymo87

07-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzar View Post
Heimer isn't a big enough of a deal to me to completely change my playstyle around for the sole purpose of eating his turrets.
Fair enough, kudos to you then. But I hate heimer so much that I always used to ban him, until recently when I picked up Nunu as his counter