The longer I play, the worse I get... [rant]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wonton55

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-22-2010

Okay, so obviously that's not true, I'm way better now than I was when I started, but it seems to me that the skill of my opponents has gone up twice as fast as my own. When I started out at level 1, everyone else was simply better than me. I lost a lot of games. Now, I'm level 23, and it seems like everyone else is much better than me.

I've tried several DPS characters (TF, Ezreal, Ashe, Trynd, Gangplank), several mages (Fiddlesticks, Karthus), several tanks (Singed, Rammus, Cho'Gath), and I really suck with all of them. The only hero I can do decently with is Zilean, cause I find the best player on our team and revive him as needed.

At one point I made a new account cause I was sick of losing... and half the time I'd play ACTUAL level 5s and beat them (and feel like a ****), while the other half, I'd play other smurfs and get owned as before.

I really want to be good at the game, because I do enjoy playing it, but I'm sick of being steamrolled over and over.
[/rant]

Malzahearty Soup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-22-2010

Practice games went back up yesterday. You could use those to try new strategies.

Genuwine21

07-23-2010

Well a couple of things, you are going to find tons of players who have alternate accounts... but understand that in normal games there are times when you have the awesome players... also definitely keep trying characters. Honestly as you get used to the mechanics more you will find characters you thought sucked at first are actually awesome.

Example: I tried Nasus when I first started playing, but sucked with him, after learning about last hitting and actually timing my abilities I play a pretty ok Nasus.

Also based on your list you picked some odd DPS characters:
TF- great at damage, but has no defense, so he is all about position
Ez- a lot of skill shots, so also all about position
Tryn- powerful, but relies on high damage and dancing near death if you want to get full use out of him, not for beginners
Gang- a pretty modest dps, good champ but there are stronger...

This week there is Corki, while he is not very hearty he does have high dps and armor penetration... also there are champs like Xin and Warwick if you want champs who are both hearty and dps.

Mages are a weird breed, as they are mostly glass cannons. So if you can't keep out of range and just deal damage they are not fun to play. I personally don't play mages...

With tanks, only Cho is really a tank I find easy to use for an average player, but he has to be built up to be truly effective. Blitz is good if you can pull his skillshot off reliably, Mundo is fun, Nunu is a bit of a dps tank, if you build him right. (personally he is my favorite tank, and he is cheap) Amumu is also interesting... there are actually a lot of tanks that I have played, but I have moved to dps as I prefer higher damage to survivability.

xpsychedelico

07-23-2010

It's hard to tell what you're lacking, but some of the most common issues are: lack of map awareness, lack of good decision making (which comes with experience), lack of understanding regarding itemization, lack of understanding and/or application of good positioning in and for team battles, lack of team cohesion (which can't always be helped).

Map awareness is the downfall of many teams. Since you play Zilean, I suggest you buy wards and always keep the river warded at Dragon and Baron, and if the outer towers are down, ward their golem and lizard as well. Map control is very crucial in the game, and can prevent a lot of deaths or set up a lot of ganks.

Itemization is another important thing. Many people follow guides blindly without switching their items to suit the situation. If the other team only has one tank and no one else is stacking health, there is no point in getting Bloodrazors. Similarly, if the other team is stacking health, stacking BF swords will probably not be as effective as bloodrazors with attack speed. If the enemy team is heavy on magic damage, then the tank should build magic resist instead of armor. It is painful to see a tank being one shotted by casters because all he had was Frozen Heart and Randuins.

Postioning is another very important thing. Your position in battle depends on the type of champion you are playing. Tanks always go in first and initiate, followed by Melee DPS and casters (spell range is a lot smaller than ranged attacks--get out immediately after unloading), and ranged DPS and support should always be far behind, out of reach of the enemy team.

Since you enjoy Zilean, and keeping the main champion alive, you may want to consider playing other support characters. Some people just suit a certain playstyle more than others. Janna, Soraka, Kayle and Taric are probably some that you can try. Kayle can be offensive/support, and Taric can be a tank/aura stick as well, so you can branch out your types a little while holding on to the mentality of keeping the best champion alive in a teamfight. Janna is utility/support, and Soraka is pure support--a walking base fountain. These champions can all be effective at keeping your team alive. Give them a go and see how you do.

McBruha

07-23-2010

The best way to improve significantly is to know your opponents. So every week when there are new hero's to select, play any that you have not had a chance to yet... Example, I'm level 30, and I still despise Shaco, but i've never played him. Surely if I understood his capability a bit better, I would have a slightly better idea how to handle him.

BACKSTABUUU

07-23-2010

There's the beauty of matchmaking for you, eventually you'll be stuck winning 1 out of every 5 games due to unbalanced skill. Nothing you can do about it but lose 20 times in a row so you get knocked down in elo rank.

Kragorn

07-24-2010

I think the problem is actually you are jumping around between champs too much. I would pick one champ you like and stick with them for a while. Then you can work on improving your game. I've found that it takes me about 50 games to get to know a champion. For example, fighting other champions, what items are good and bad, what summoner spells work best, masteries to use?

If you know your champion well, it really helps because you can pay more attention to the rest of the game (map, wards, when to teamfight, Baron, push ). You don't have to worry about what skills to get, what items to buy, and where you should be.

Terchio

07-24-2010

Jumping between champs can work, but you need to find a niche you are good with. This wouldn't be so necessary except that Masteries cannot be switched between games. So, if you are the pwoer of the team, you need to make an offence based set of masteries, the tank needs defensive, and if you are a little wishy-washy plus feel you need 4% movespeed or 6% cooldown reduction, or you just cannot get enough of your summoner spell, build Utility. I personally would stick with one of the first 2, and backup in Utility once you get thru to the end of your main tree. In any case, certain champs do better with some masteries than others, and since switching masteries is a pain in prep, you should stick with a select few that benefit from your masteries.

Make sure you use your runes well, too. If one of your chars uses Armor Penetration well, DO NOT GET ALL THE ARMOR PEN YOU CAN FIND. Marks give sick Armor Pen. Glyphs/Seals do not. You'd be better off getting a little tankier with Armor Seals/Magic Resist Glyphs than go all-out Armor Pen. Those runes are actually quite good compared to their Armor Pen counterparts. If you're going to have one set of runes anyway, that emphasizes you should have even more of a 'niche' group of champions. I, for instance, mainly stick with support. Defensive Masteries along with Armor/Resist runes get me quite far.

Also, reading guides can help a lot on specific hero issues. Most on the official guide list have been accepted as fair/above average methods of playing characters down to intricate detail. Use them wisely.

Now, for my less-helpful part. When you win a game, do you get any better? Maybe, but overall you have approximately the same skill as the game before. However, your ranking rises, and you suddenly are facing 5 characters who are projected as improved over your previous opponents, and only 4 improved allies. This alone can make a player feel he's being swamped. Furthermore, you ended up winning to get to that ranking, where as many opponents may have actually lost to get there. They MAY belong to the group ahead of you, and just unluckily dropped to your group, where as you may have risen to your group through luck, and not belong there either. It's all simply chance, and chances are that you will not have an easy game following a victory.

Actually, Masteries can be switched between games, they just can't be switched 'by profile' during champion select, and therefore you have to redo all of a possible 30 points if you don't like the masteries for the champion you selected.

mana montana

07-24-2010

i have this same issue. when i first started playing iwas doing pretty well. and i got a lot of ppl add me to their F list and invite me to games. now my own team just trash talks me every game when I play dps I can never get any kills(playing eve last game icould at most get 10% off equal lvl champ then they just run away, then a tank kills me within blink of an eye with no dmg items??) this is getting really gay. like one game also i played rammus at lvl 2 (i have dorans shield) a xin nearly killed me in 2 seconds with just 1 skill combo. I have never ever ever played any champ where I could do that much easy damage to someone in 1 attack.

I feel i have good grasp on items though. I always look at what other teams champs are and what items they are building. so like even anormaly AD based champ when fighting tanks i instead go for bloodrazer and all atk speed(tanks as in most their team not just 1)

I feel like i just always instantly die. even as rammus with 3 sunfire cloaks and 2 heart of gold against all physical damage team. I die in like 4or less seconds. but when I attack other people even with high dmg champs. I can barley scratch even their soft champs. its really gay and frustraiting. is this even a game lol.

xpsychedelico

07-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cexx View Post
i have this same issue. when i first started playing iwas doing pretty well. and i got a lot of ppl add me to their F list and invite me to games. now my own team just trash talks me every game when I play dps I can never get any kills(playing eve last game icould at most get 10% off equal lvl champ then they just run away, then a tank kills me within blink of an eye with no dmg items??) this is getting really gay. like one game also i played rammus at lvl 2 (i have dorans shield) a xin nearly killed me in 2 seconds with just 1 skill combo. I have never ever ever played any champ where I could do that much easy damage to someone in 1 attack.

I feel i have good grasp on items though. I always look at what other teams champs are and what items they are building. so like even anormaly AD based champ when fighting tanks i instead go for bloodrazer and all atk speed(tanks as in most their team not just 1)

I feel like i just always instantly die. even as rammus with 3 sunfire cloaks and 2 heart of gold against all physical damage team. I die in like 4or less seconds. but when I attack other people even with high dmg champs. I can barley scratch even their soft champs. its really gay and frustraiting. is this even a game lol.
Well, stacking items isn't always the best solution. Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart and Thornmail are other armor items that help you and your team. Rammu's DBC is also very good against a completely physical team. If they are building Bloodrazors, then you should get some magic resist, otherwise the magic damage that takes out 4% of your health will eat you up.