Dem Supports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Were

02-05-2012

When should I pick Sona over Soraka and vice versa? Except the Karthus counter Ulti.

Also when to pick supports such as Alistar, Taric.

Alistar, Taric, Soraka and Sona are the only supports I've played what other supports are viable?

R4wkstar

02-05-2012

Soraka - Good support for mana hungry AD's such as MF, Cait, Urgot so that they can harass with mana skills and not go oom in 10 seconds.

Sona - A great all-around support. Unlike Soraka, has some offensive help capabilities and a stun.

Alistar - Good defensive support, good for taking pressure off of a carry (maybe a Corki or a Kog, who need that help pre-6 against strong early champs like Cait and Sivir). Also good if your team needs some initiation or beefiness.

Taric - Good with champs expected to dominate a lane like Cait (or the new AD Kennan). Provides an early utility stun for quick kills against weak early game carries.

Janna - Provides Alistar's initiation with Taric's nice gank help. Has no heal, however, necessitating a use of a summoner.

Other support-ish champs include Shen, Maokai, Blitz, Galio, Karma. People might rage at you for choosing them, but they each provide something to the team.

GL HF. Supports win games when played properly.

Tyrang

02-05-2012

It is a question of bot lane comp and bot lane approaches. I section out support to 3 catagories:

Sustain: Soraka (maybe sona, thought she should not be played that way)
Poke: Sona, Zilean, Nunu, etc
Init: Ailstar, Leona, etc

Say if you have Ashe, you would want to go Soraka (maybe sona). Ashe cannot follow up with init, and her poking power early game is rather weak. Soraka also works really well with Sivir (mana regen) and Graves (armor buff)

Sona is a heavy poke support, and she actually work pretty well with most champ, that's why she is considered the OP support at the moment (watch kiev IEM, the team with Sona wins). The only support that can stand up to Sona is actually Soraka (force the enemy to play sustain game).

Nunu is another very popular one now, you wanna match him with champ that can take advantage of bloodboil (champs that benefits from atk speed). Vayne, Cait and Kog are all good choice.

Ali, Janna and Blitz are play maker. You wanna make sure that your ad bot follow up. Vayne is actually really good with Ali cuz they can do double wall stun.

Taric is actually quite a bit weaker compared to the like of Soraka, Sona and Ali. He can do everything that the other 3 does but just not as well. He is completely legit (even in tournaments), but he is a bit harder to use well imo.

Lord Were

02-05-2012

Thanks for the replies, I'll take this in mind and hopefully I can remember this and put into action.