Does Rammus make anyone look good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaidyn

02-05-2012

So I decided to get good with a tanky character, to help some friends. I decided to give Rammus a go, and WOW, he's just amazing. I call him Mr. Setup, because where ever I go, kills happen. I usually finish something like 2/5/30.

But the more I play him, the more I get the impression that I'm not really that good with Rammus, he just has an amazing toolkit, and any fool can mop up assists with him.

With that in mind, does anyone have any rammus (or tank) tips to help me get to the next level?

Etherimp

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaidyn View Post
So I decided to get good with a tanky character, to help some friends. I decided to give Rammus a go, and WOW, he's just amazing. I call him Mr. Setup, because where ever I go, kills happen. I usually finish something like 2/5/30.

But the more I play him, the more I get the impression that I'm not really that good with Rammus, he just has an amazing toolkit, and any fool can mop up assists with him.

With that in mind, does anyone have any rammus (or tank) tips to help me get to the next level?
If you're getting an average of 30 assists a game, then you're doing it right. Maybe a few less deaths? Other than that, just keep practicing and getting better with him. I hope you're jungling. Try different builds.

Sokolniki

02-05-2012

I've only seen AD Troll Rammus builds get high "kills" but generally, they have a ton of assists. His major contribution is that he allows other champs to snowball by setting enemy champs up to be killed early in the game. Have you ever seen a fed Sona? Yeah, she's pretty, but what she does to your team isn't.

Mambazo

02-05-2012

His drawbacks are that he lacks AoE CC outside of the small knockback/slow he gets from powerball that pales in comparison to that of someone like Sejuani or Amumu. He's amazing at locking down single targets due to his taunts, and his jungling is fantastic. I would never play him outside of the jungle. Even with lanes warded, the speed at which he rushes in to gank while rolling very often ensures they can't get away in time.
He's also somewhat countered by a simple pair of merc treads, that extra-long taunt turns into pretty normal CC after tenacity. He's also countered by burst mages as you really, really want to be stacking armor on him as he scales so fantastically with it, but in a game with a fed leblanc or annie, you have to divert money away from that to get MR and that slows your damage down immensely.

Sokolniki

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambazo View Post
His drawbacks are that he lacks AoE CC outside of the small knockback/slow he gets from powerball that pales in comparison to that of someone like Sejuani or Amumu. He's amazing at locking down single targets due to his taunts, and his jungling is fantastic. I would never play him outside of the jungle. Even with lanes warded, the speed at which he rushes in to gank while rolling very often ensures they can't get away in time.
He's also somewhat countered by a simple pair of merc treads, that extra-long taunt turns into pretty normal CC after tenacity. He's also countered by burst mages as you really, really want to be stacking armor on him as he scales so fantastically with it, but in a game with a fed leblanc or annie, you have to divert money away from that to get MR and that slows your damage down immensely.
Speaking of which I've seen many a Rammus get a fairly early BV since they spend long enough in the jungle between ganks that it's usually up in time for the next gank, allowing them to gank many a Burst Mage if they make the mistake of using their primary disable first rather than a damage spell to eat the BV proc, and even if they use a damaging ability first, it denies them a major component of their burst in addition to the magic resist.

Etherimp

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokolniki View Post
Speaking of which I've seen many a Rammus get a fairly early BV since they spend long enough in the jungle between ganks that it's usually up in time for the next gank, allowing them to gank many a Burst Mage if they make the mistake of using their primary disable first rather than a damage spell to eat the BV proc, and even if they use a damaging ability first, it denies them a major component of their burst in addition to the magic resist.
One of my first goals on Rammus is Catalyst, followed by Merc Treads and CtP into BV. After that, Thornmail is all Rammus "needs" in terms of armor... But I'll often go Giants Belt first (turning it into a Warmogs later on).

Honestly, HP is probably the most important thing on Rammy because it scales SO well with him. A little bit of health turns his Defensive Ball Curl into an invulnerable shell of "*giggle* that tickles".

The Catalyst helps immensely in the jungle, as it actually gives you some sort of sustain.

biomorph

02-06-2012

A good jungle setup is:
- Cloth + 5, classic start
- Philo stone, for sustain + gold/10 and now you have no significant drawbacks from handing blue for AP mid
- Mercs or Ninja based on opponents, Ninja are really cheap as you have cloth and will do a lot for you early
- HoG, fast small HP boost and gold/10, builds into Omen but hang on to that for as long as you can
- Glacial Shroud -> Frozen heart, This items is king as it gives you massive armor + CDR

This is basically what you need, it lacks magic resist which is why you do well to throw in a fast Negatron after and whether you build Banshee, FoN or QSS is up to you. Banshee does have the advantage that it also adds HP.

Do not underestimate the value of Shurelia upgrade. Besides the lulzy clicky and added HP you get even more CDR. A Rammus with max CDR is just not funny for enemy team when doing 2-3 fast taunts in a single group fight. And even that Tremors is not the most feared AoE, it IS nice to have it handy often.

While HP is really nice, I dislike the Mogs builds as it is hard to farm and you risk becoming a lackluster during that period. I prefer the resists and utility and make do with the smaller HP bonuses from items like HoG, Banshee and Shurelia. From my epxerience they are more than enough.

Never get thornmail on Rammus, there are reasons too numerous to mention why not, but take my word for it, on every account there are better options. The right way to look at thornmail is that it gives you a lot of armor, nothing more ...

The key point about this build is that it helps a lot at each increment and very realistic to build even in games where you don't have many successful ganks, they do happen. We can always find a more ideal setup but it's not necessarily realistic or consistent at the same time.

Aegis is not a bad item on rammus at all and very much worth considering as well as Guardian Angel.