Lots of Galio questions!!! Planning on trying out Galio...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-05-2012

So I played Galio as a mid laner in a Normal game for the lulz. Turns out, he's not too bad...though it helps that the Brand really sucks.

Anyways, I'd like to ask a bunch of questions before blowing 6300 IP for him....

1) In ranked, if I choose Galio, there's a 99% chance they'll counterpick with Talon. So asides from mid lane, what other lane can Galio do well at? And how does he do well in that lane?

2) Spellvamp on Galio? Worth it? He has 3 AOE spells, and the third one involves him taking a bunch of damage to begin with.

3) What should my build order be? atm I get Meki Pendant first so I can rush Chalice for the mana regen and MR. Should I take Thornmail over Frozen Heart? Mostly because of his Ult. And it's cheapness...

4) I took Flash/Heal on Galio. Flash to go with my Ult. Heal because I'm a tank. Should I trade Flash out for Exhaust in case Tryndamere gets fed?

5) Both of Galio's ranged attacks have decent AoE. Meaning if I try to harass my lane opponent, chances are I'll also hit minions most of the time, pushing my lane...should I bother to harass my opponent?

6) Should I focus on maxing Bulwark first or Resolute Smite?

7) If I'm stuck laning against someone like Graves or Caitlyn, or some AD with powerful harass...what should I do?

TheLamentingLoon

02-05-2012

Max Resolute Smite (Q) first. It is your bread and butter.

Ability Power Quints. Magic Pen Quints will work as well but I like the additional Ability Power in the early laning phase.

When I build I like to go Doran's Ring > Boots (eventually build to Mercs) > Catalyst (once I get this my experience is Galio's mana addiction is pretty much gone) which I eventually build to Rod of Ages which is an excellent item on Galio (like Maokai). There are those who say RoA is too expensive and a Chalice of Harmony is all one needs but I prefer RoA but I see their point especially if farming becomes an issue.

For armor Aegis of Legion is good and with it's MR it procs well with his passive. Randuin's Omen and Banshee's Veil are also good.

* The armor you choose depends on the situation. Solomid has some very good guides.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-05-2012

btw, having played a while, I noticed that Bulwark and a WotA provides me with ENORMOUS amounts of in-battle healing throughout the game.

Would it be beneficial to get Spirit Visage? Since it also gives CDR and some MR as well.

TheLamentingLoon

02-05-2012

Hmmm, need to consider WotA. Rather than Spirit Visage, Force of Nature would be a much better build item.

llDeathCowll

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
So I played Galio as a mid laner in a Normal game for the lulz. Turns out, he's not too bad...though it helps that the Brand really sucks.

Anyways, I'd like to ask a bunch of questions before blowing 6300 IP for him....

1) In ranked, if I choose Galio, there's a 99% chance they'll counterpick with Talon. So asides from mid lane, what other lane can Galio do well at? And how does he do well in that lane?
Thats a gross exaggeration. And frankly for countering galio there are quite a few better choices, I have the most issue with caitlyn and irelia and I find that most other counters push laning more toward a stalemate than a loss. Galio can do both mid and top effectively in the current meta. You should be very wary of anyone that says something foul like "GALIO SUPPORT BOT." Galio is just not a 0 cs support tank. I've had moderate success with jungling Galio, with the proper runes and masteries you don't need to disturb your normal item build at all. Once you go in for a gank you must hit your resolute smite or be ready to pull back and continue jungling. The only alternative is dropping your ult(if up). This should get someone a kill everytime.
Quote:
2) Spellvamp on Galio? Worth it? He has 3 AOE spells, and the third one involves him taking a bunch of damage to begin with.
This depends on your team. If you are the AP carry, then no I wouldn't buy WOTA. A bulwark will keep you alive while you ult, and even get you back to the sidelines unless you eat a ton of CC. Oftentime a quick trip to a wraith camp started with a punch followed by a self-cast W will get you back to full HP. If you are the tank the spell vamp will make you basically unkillable and help you to support your AP carry.
Quote:
3) What should my build order be? atm I get Meki Pendant first so I can rush Chalice for the mana regen and MR. Should I take Thornmail over Frozen Heart? Mostly because of his Ult. And it's cheapness...
This is dependent on a couple factors. Like where you're gonna be and what you will be facing. If you are in the jungle, blue will keep your mana up for the first few minutes so grab the null-magic first. If your mid vs brand and you have teleport..take the null-magic first. If you'll be in a dual lane without teleport take the meki. Almost anyway you look at it, go for the chalice first. I can see not building the chalice if someone if going to feed you blue...then you can go tear->AA. Thornmail makes idol rape ad carries.
Quote:
4) I took Flash/Heal on Galio. Flash to go with my Ult. Heal because I'm a tank. Should I trade Flash out for Exhaust in case Tryndamere gets fed?
I nowadays almost always take flash for my ult. I say that knowning that I almost never find a situation in with righteous gust wont get me to my location quickly enough...I really dont think you need flash on galio.

I always want teleport. If you are laning it is so great to be able to teleport in behind a pushed lane and drop your ult. It also lets you put tons of pressure spamming your spells starting at level 1 and teleport back as soon as you hit the 490 gold you need for chalice(null magic first).
Quote:
5) Both of Galio's ranged attacks have decent AoE. Meaning if I try to harass my lane opponent, chances are I'll also hit minions most of the time, pushing my lane...should I bother to harass my opponent?
With galio's tankiness, slow, and speed buff I generally find its not a problem to push my lane. Depending on who you are laning against your harass can take out the entire minion wave and push them back to their tower with ease, giving you time to counter jungle, ward, or move lanes for a gank.[/quote]
Quote:
In an ideal world where I'm owning my lane with near 100% cs, keeping my lane pushed and them low, I dont touch bulwark until level 7. Going qeqeqr lets be clear a wave with a few punches and 2 spells somwhat instantly. At that point I drop points in bulwark as much as I can.

Powerstoned

02-05-2012

1) In ranked, if I choose Galio, there's a 99% chance they'll counterpick with Talon. So asides from mid lane, what other lane can Galio do well at? And how does he do well in that lane? Choosing Galio, means you need to get lucky and only have to 1v1 vs a AP champ. Mid/Top. With galio, the goal is AP/MR stacking if the enemy team makeup works in your favor. Obviously if u have to 1v1 an AD champ, you're having to buy items that work away from that goal. Like if you were forced to build Malphite with a ton of MR, it's just not going to help his dps.

2) Spellvamp on Galio? Worth it? He has 3 AOE spells, and the third one involves him taking a bunch of damage to begin with. Very worth it, By late game, your ult will make you the center of attention, and everyone should be around for your WotA aura.

3) What should my build order be? atm I get Meki Pendant first so I can rush Chalice for the mana regen and MR. Should I take Thornmail over Frozen Heart? Mostly because of his Ult. And it's cheapness...I go philo stone & mercs first. I then try and build a Negatron-Abyssal first. If I don't seem to be having mana issues. If I do, or I need to get tankier asap, I'll build a RoA. Must have items are definitely an Abyssal, Thornmail, and a good source of HP late game. Another issue to contemplate now are the new ninja tabies, which may or may not be helpful for his ult, I don't know yet, haven't tried.

4) I took Flash/Heal on Galio. Flash to go with my Ult. Heal because I'm a tank. Should I trade Flash out for Exhaust in case Tryndamere gets fed? I like exhaust/ignite or exhaust/flash

5) Both of Galio's ranged attacks have decent AoE. Meaning if I try to harass my lane opponent, chances are I'll also hit minions most of the time, pushing my lane...should I bother to harass my opponent? Lane harassment is Galio's forte, but if you're forced to do it often, you'll have mana issues. I say if you don't have to, don't harass much, and just farm, if you can.

Bulwark

Ginga

Recruiter

02-05-2012

Quote:
If you are the tank the spell vamp will make you basically unkillable and help you to support your AP carry.
Yeah I just learned that first hand. 3 AoE abilities, turns out blowing them mid battle heals me quite considerably...

Quote:
I can see not building the chalice if someone if going to feed you blue...then you can go tear->AA
Why Archangel's Staff? I can see it giving him the ability to spam his abilities more freely, but it feels like there are better than that. For example, I give him Abyssal Scepter.

Anyways, I noticed that my hp at high levels is actually comparatively low compared to most tanks, I can take hits, but it still feels kinda wrong that way. Is that okay? I thought about Warmogs, but considering how expensive it is, I don't think I can ever get that item atop my already expensive build. Any alternatives?

Garaze

02-05-2012

Galio isn't really a tank, he's more of an initiator/Tanky AP Caster.

Ginga

Recruiter

02-05-2012

Okay, I just saw a replay of one of my Galio games.

Without building ANY defensive items, my allied Garen had ~200 hp more than me. By level 18, Xerath BARELY has more hp than me....this probably explains why I can heal a lot as Galio, my hp is so low that the spellvamp on my items can heal an amount that's actually significant to my piddly ~2.4k hp. The only reason why I didn't fall like a brick is because of my high armor and resistance.

Should I get some hp items as Galio? Or is this fine?

Garaze

02-05-2012

The only HP items I ever get as Galio is Rylai/Banshee's Veil