Shen Solo Top - Help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jdazzy

02-05-2012

I've been recently trying to learn a plethora of champions so I could increase my versatility and value to a team. I've really enjoyed seeing Riven players and I love all of her abilities, so I picked her up yesterday. I want to use her as a solo top since she seems amazing for it. I've out played another Riven up top, a Nasus, an Akali, and a Renekton. However, the two champion that have been giving me the absolute hardest time is GP and... Shen? I can play against GP pretty well, I just have to last hit after he uses his Q to kill a minion so I don't get poked, or I can poke him pretty well after he uses his Q. He generally out lanes me by just a little but after my jungler gets a gank off, I'm fine. However, Shen...

How can I counter Shen? I've laned against 3 of them now, all yesterday. Each of them grabbed a Doran's Shield right away and proceeded to poop on my parade. It's ridiculous. If I get close at all, he vorpal daggers me. If I try and poke, I get a Ki Strike in the face + Vorpal Dagger and then I get taunted so that he gets a few free hits. Oh yeah, then as I'm running away he daggers me again. I tried just not poking him because he out pokes me heavily, but then he just daggers me if I try and get last hits. Although the dmg isn't great, after level 3-4, it starts to hit for over 100 damage which with a cd of 3 seconds, I can't handle that. Tips?

I grab boots + 3 health pots at the start. I have flat armor yellows, armor pen. reds, mr per level blues, and movement speed quints. I was using this rune page on Tryndamere so I'm not entirely sure if that's a good solo top setup, but I just wanted to provide some details. I also run with a 21/9/0 mastery setup.

Please tell me how to lane against this ******. In all 3 games he's built atmogs, Force of Nature, Ninja Tabai, GA, and then some other dmg item for the hell of it. No one can kill him, he does an insane amount of dmg for being so tanky, and... it's really annoying.

FaerellG

02-05-2012

Shen's damage is only good early game. By mid-game his damage falls off rapidly and all he's useful for is his Ultimate and his Taunt. Avoid trading harass with him early game, he'll generally win that.

This is unless he builds damage items...in which case he won't be very tanky later on and will melt if he gets focused.

Cenerae

02-05-2012

Don't trade hits with him until you're higher level, because he only has one damage skill whereas you have three. The daggers hurt, but you can mitigate them with E (and you may want to max E first if you're having a hard time). Just farm up, get some gear, then start to fight him when you've farmed up a wriggles.

Shen doesn't actually do that much damage overall, it's simply that his early harrass is very good. With a wriggles and a little MR, you should be fine.

Scary Wolf Man

02-05-2012

I play solo top Shen, and here's what goes down.

Early game, I'll harass you with my Vorpal Blade + Ki Strike combo. Say bye to anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 ur hp lol. If you're nasus and you try to dive me cuz I have 1/2 my hp, idc if you ult or wither me cuz I'll just taunt you under the tower, and my ki strike + feint (its weak but w/e I max it third after E and Q) along with tower hits WILL kill you. And god forbid my jungler comes... LOL

Later on, Vorpal blade starts to fall off. The base damage is still kind of high, but you'll start feeling the pain less. However, I buy a Wriggle's Lantern on Shen. By this point I have something like 140 damage, 114 armor, 75 mres, and about 2-2.5k HP.

When I ki strike you or taunt you to keep refreshing ki strike, you'll once again start feeling it. Oh and I'll have a kill or two (or assist) on you, because I've ulted bot lane, saved someone's ass, and now I'm back in my lane. Oh here's my jungler.... whoooopeeee another kill.

Now I have a warmog, just casually walking around with 3.5k HP. Pretty soon I'll have an atma's impaler. Say hit to my 200+ damage.

Time goes on, your tower is gone, etc. I have 200+ cs right now, my force of nature is done, and i'm currently working on my second warmog. If the game is not over yet, and I'm allowed to go into late game, watch out for my 3rd warmog.

6k hp, 270 damage, 170 armor, 155 mres. What's damage and why am I regenning my hp??? Oh lol is that a madreds? aint even feeling it.

Also solo top shen only works when his team doesn't suck... if my team sucks expect me to only win top and not the game lol

Aikimiller

02-05-2012

Shen is fairly week right now- he's at the bottom of a nerf cycle- which makes me sad, cause he's my favorite champ ever.

Main thing is to avoid the harass from him- he's going to have enough early game to make trading with him generally unfavorable. A little bit of sustain will go a long way to negating most of your problems though. Just play it smart, and if necessary call for a lane change- a champ with ranged harass will shut him down pretty hard 9 times out of 10.

Additionally- Shen solo top is generally a bad idea- because if he ults he leaves the lane unattended. One strategy against him is to keep the pressure up- particularly if you see your teammates going in for a gank. If he's busy dealing with you, he's not ulting their target.

Scary Wolf Man

02-05-2012

if he's got teleport its not so bad

DrRomance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Wolf Man View Post
I play solo top Shen, and here's what goes down.

Early game, I'll harass you with my Vorpal Blade + Ki Strike combo. Say bye to anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 ur hp lol. If you're nasus and you try to dive me cuz I have 1/2 my hp, idc if you ult or wither me cuz I'll just taunt you under the tower, and my ki strike + feint (its weak but w/e I max it third after E and Q) along with tower hits WILL kill you. And god forbid my jungler comes... LOL
OR OR OOOR he runs in there with his ulti, Siphoning Strikes your azz, slows you and lowers your armor, and you desperately taunt him while he auto-attacks you to death then proceeds to buttrhape your jungler, push the towers, and win da game.

Jdazzy

02-05-2012

Ok, I'm glad to hear that I'm not just a bad player and that Shen truly does have good harass and a good early game. I agree, solo top Shen does seem a little odd since he does fall off a lot late game damage wise. However, it's been so effective against my teams. He does start ult'ing pretty constantly whenever he hits 6 in which case I do push the lane, but if their jungler is decent, they'll come out from the river and push me back or kill me if I have a decent amount of health lost.

My problem is that I don't get any farm. I can survive against him just fine and hold my own, but I have to sacrifice cs. Also, if I'm building mitigation from the beginning, I hit like a wet noodle mid-game and into late game. He just denies me so hard. If I'm top against anyone else, I'm immediately a threat when I hit 6 from items + ultimate, and I can either kill top lane or start ganking and getting a lot of kills. Shen just seems to be the main champ (that I've faced so far because I'm so very experienced, you know) that is countering me very effectively. Good harass, denies me farm, ruins my mid-game which carries into late game.

FaerellG

02-05-2012

Don't build for mitigation, build for sustain. If you can survive and farm well during the early game, then you're guaranteed to be able to continue farming through the mid game. Unless they focus everyone on you, in which case your allies should try to do something to punish them for that...either counter ganking or knocking down some towers for your getting killed.

stealthstyle75

02-05-2012

If the Shen like to spam vorpal blade to last hit minons alot keep an eye on his energy bar. If his energy bar runs low you can try to farm for a bit or even try to kill him. Also, you can try to move in and out of brush a lot ,it's pretty safe since Shen don't have any way to check brush so you can get first hit if he run in.