Issues with 5.1 surround sound

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Essychu

02-04-2012

It's nothing that bugs me a lot but most of the sounds do not work on my surround sound, I've changed the settings from stereo, mono, quad, 5.1 and for fun 7.1

The only sound that works 100% of the time is the announcer but many of the other sounds like minions fighting/hero abilities/them talking and their /joke /laugh do not work at all sometimes they are very quiet if they do decide to work. I don't know what I can do to fix this. I'm not too experienced with sound things either.

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

02-14-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Ahri,

Changing you windows settings to stereo before the game launches should fix a majority of the problems. I know you say in the original post that you've changed it to stereo, but if you make the change while the game is running it will have no affect.

Let us know if that helps!

DingoRabiit

06-17-2012

No Support For Surround Sound.
I hate having to turning off 4/6 of my speakers Just To Play League.
Seriously Riot, Telling us to Disable our surround sound to beable to hear the game is ludicrously painful to see such a successful company be compleatly unable to have more than a Two Speaker settting run on thier flagship game.

Seriously riot, Atleast have the game Sound Right(Ie:sound like we set it stereo) while we play with a 5.1/7.1 audio setting, We the player should not have to change our settings for our entire audio configuration just to hear your audio, And then when were done, Set it alll back again.

It is beyond rediculos that a company that makes so much profit (i myself have spent around $500 on rp) and not support the players sound settings.

Sparklegyrl

01-10-2013

... and then he goes back to playing

nothingxs

Recruiter

01-14-2013

I want to bump this to request something from the developers: would it be possible for League of Legends to have a setting in the AIR client to make the game always "force" headphones mode? I have my computer set to 5.1 from speakers but stereo when the headset's plugged in, and I have the same vanishing audio issues here.

What is happenning is that League wants to use all your speakers for positional audio but since you're only using two channels, you only get two channels of audio.

eRocky

01-18-2013

I use an external audio device which doesn't let me set the windows configuration to stereo, having half the screen's worth of sounds is incredibly annoying and I (as with everyone else in this thread!) think it's ridiculous that you haven't been able to implement proper audio management in the 3+ years that this issue has been reported.

I know it's probably not a small task to implement but it's also not ground breaking technology...

Dracoaeon

01-22-2013

Oh yes, this bothers me as well. I am using a 5.1 speaker setup and having to manually change it every time I play League is stupid. I always listen to music while I am on the computer, so having to pause that and also restart those applications irks me. How does a multi-million dollar game with a massive playerbase in 2013 not have surround sound support?

nothingxs

Recruiter

05-07-2013

Again: can we please have a fix for this? Please have an in-game option to switch between 5.1 audio and stereo. I still occasionally can't hear sound effects while playing because of this, and I switch too much between my 5.1 speakers and my headset for your option to be viable -- I'd rather League just always play in Stereo.

MadOblivion

04-04-2014

I have same problem... I wish they would fix it. How hard is it to create an in-game option for sound channels?

MoonLiteNite

05-02-2014

I have a crosshair V mobo and use the build in sound card. The options show on 5.1 on windows. and i have no issues with lack of sound, no matter where the screen is positioned around the fight.
I get smooth sound transition as i scroll left to right.

I think it just may have to do with the way your drivers handle 5.1 when the game only puts in 2.0.
Maybe some audio cards can see there is only 2 channels and will force them to the front left and front right.

edit: and in case someone says i really don't have 5.1 on then. I listen to 5.1 music, and the 5.1 is 100% turned on. Can CLEARLY hear the music coming from on speaker at a time during parts of the songs like that.