Which champion has a playstyle similar to Shen's? Is Lee Sin a good choice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scary Wolf Man

02-05-2012

Hello

I enjoy playing Shen a lot. He was the first champion I ever bought, and I've enjoyed playing him ever since that free week more than a year ago when I first played him.

I play Shen either as a solo top bruiser/main tank (atma's, warmog, lantern, force of nature, etc... basically I can soak high amounts of damage via taunt while dishing out decent damage with ki strike + auto attacks) or as a jungler (insane ganks from which there is no escape!). I never really have an issue farming with him, and I can usually out farm champions like Nasus. The high mobility gained via abilities like dash and ultimate, as well as teleport which allows me to return to my lane after getting a save and kill on bot is invaluable.

The only thing I dislike about Shen is that he requires a very competent team composition and communication to do well. In addition, there are many champions who are probably better at what he does on top (though I doubt they possess the same sustainability as Shen). If my team starts doing their own thing its very hard as Shen to help them out AND do well in my own lane.

I've almost got 6.3k IP and I'm wondering whether Lee Sin would be a good choice for me.

I like that Lee Sin is a great jungler. I can clear the entire jungle as Shen by around 3:50 without a leash, or I can grab red buff, take taunt, and own bottom really fast. Lee Sin excels at ganking and jungling...

I also like that Lee Sin has a shield he can place on himself or an ally. Its similar to Shen in that Lee Sin protects his allies and I like that about him.

Lee Sin's ult can save lives or ruin the enemies' day. As Shen, when my ult goes off, it usually means pain on a whole new level for my enemies. Hey Warwick, why you suppress our Sona??? GUINSOOOOOOOOO *dead warwick*... or at least a Warwick fleeing in terror lol.

Lee Sin can slow his enemies or reveal sneaky enemies around my allies. That's nice because I hate it when a Twitch is stalking our support... no no no!

So.... do you guys think Lee Sin would be a good choice?

PS: Ionia ftw!

Aloretec

02-05-2012

The good news is Shen is getting some buffs so you'll be stomping people even more.

I don't think Lee plays like Shen as he's more of an assassin who's being played as a tank in the current meta. I'd also wait a couple more patches as I have this feeling they're not done nerfing Lee yet.

Riven has Shen's mobility and ability to jungle or top.

Maokai has the ability to protect his allies and jungle in much the game way as Shen, but isn't a strong pick top.

Rammus is always banned, but is awesome.

Pantheon has a long range ult that can save lives by counter ganking etc

Amu can't really top and is very blue buff dependent jungler but is good at protecting his allies

I'll try to come up with some other possible choices, but I'd really wait a patch or two before investing in Lee just to make sure they're done nerfing him. I think he'd be a good choice, but I'd hate for the purchase to feel like a waste if they nerf him to the ground a week after you buy him

Scary Wolf Man

02-05-2012

hmmm good points that I will keep in mind.

Why exactly did they nerf Lee Sin? The nerf seems really insignificant (10% AS, and .2 ratio).

I am not the best LoL player or someone who is a champion guru, but I feel like some nerfs that Riot did were really not justified... People said Akali was OP but it was so easy to CC her... Vayne isn't OP unless you let her free farm lol... etc.. Oh and people say Shen is useless but that's not really the case now is it?

How is Skarner? I've never had 6.3k IP at any one time and my friends are tired of me consistently picking Shen. I don't really like the play styles of most champions, and I only have a few favorite champions: Shen, Karthus, Malzahar, Malphite, and Soraka.

Vigilant Ronin

02-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Wolf Man View Post
hmmm good points that I will keep in mind.

Why exactly did they nerf Lee Sin? The nerf seems really insignificant (10% AS, and .2 ratio).

I am not the best LoL player or someone who is a champion guru, but I feel like some nerfs that Riot did were really not justified... People said Akali was OP but it was so easy to CC her... Vayne isn't OP unless you let her free farm lol... etc.. Oh and people say Shen is useless but that's not really the case now is it?

How is Skarner? I've never had 6.3k IP at any one time and my friends are tired of me consistently picking Shen. I don't really like the play styles of most champions, and I only have a few favorite champions: Shen, Karthus, Malzahar, Malphite, and Soraka.
I think Skarner is best played as jungle and his potential is lowered in the lane the problem being his rather weak early game and quite squishy until leveled up. However his ulti is one of the best ganking moves in the game he even quotes it when he uses it "GANK GANK GANK" lol jokes aside he plays like a shen with out the taunt and global until but has better ganking abilities (Especially if your good at timing his slow, grab ulti, and decent chaseing move I believe his shield still buffs MS corrent me if I am wrong) it really boils down if you would rather solo top or jungle.

Aikimiller

02-06-2012

Sounds like you want a tanky champ that has a better ability to initiate and/or carry.

Rammus is pretty strong in both those areas, and he has high mobility and a very strong jungle. Jarvan has excellent harass, and is able to build either full tank and still do a silly amount of damage. Singed and Volibear both lack ranged harass, but are tough enough that they just don't care.

Volibear, Rammus, and Jarvan all have a strong jungle.

Lee Sin is actually very different from Shen's playstyle. Shen has a very passive playstyle in teamfights, although the laning phase is similiar- you simply cannot spam your spells in a teamfight without running out of energy and being useless and ignorable. Lee Sin, on the other hand, has an energy recover mechanism to master, and 7 skills, and thus he can do a heck of a lot more in teamfights. Lee Sin also has a much, much higher skill cap, both just using and hitting with things, and knowing when to use them. Additionally- Lee Sin is a pretty poor primary tank (although these days Shen isn't much of a tank either).