Reward Influence with Influence Points

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

seleleth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis912 View Post
Brilliant! Its people like you trying to figure out ways to change this game for the good that will keep the positive people playing. I also believe that something has to be done about this, its gotten so bad I find it almost impossible to play a game in any mode without having to suffer others ignorance. I used to play somewhere close to 10 games a day, now I'm so jaded by the LoL community in games that i play maybe 2. After that I try to forget the amazing amount of disrespect I encounter in this game. So bad that at times I find myself treating my own team terribly as well, because well whats the point if literally no one cares.
Thanks! I think you really hit the nail on the head. I believe there are a lot of us who actually WANT to be nice, but without any tangible reason for being so, find that we are slipping. IMO, it has the created the extremely intolerant, cynical, critical, impatient, and disrespectful community we now must endure in order to play this otherwise very enjoyable game.

Hercanic

02-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by seleleth View Post
Instead, you should spray the dog in the face with water or kick him in the rear for minor offenses. And you reward him with treats for simple acts of good behavior. That's how you convey what's expected. That's how you produce positive influence, little by little, action by action, or game by game.
No. As someone who has taugh children and animals, I need to say: You should never hit your animal, and spraying them is unnecessary. The same goes for spanking children. It doesn't work.

What does work: Rewarding the good, ignoring the bad.

There are entire volumes of books devoted to this subject. I'm typing on an iPad, so I'm keeping this brief. Some key concepts:

Consistency
Structure
Immediacy
Tone
Reward system is separate from punishment system

Quote:
Well, if there's a range, there's a range. Some people get more and some people get less. You can look at it this way:
|------Range------|
^No bonus . . . . ^Bonus for good players
Or you can look at it this way:
|------Range------|
^Negative . . . . .^Positive
But ultimately it's all the same.
Mechanically they're the same. Psychologically they are not. When it comes to dealing with people, psychology is everything.

seleleth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-29-2012

As much as I'd like to jump into the side discussion (I'm a father of four myself), I'll avoid major tangents by simply saying I think we're both in agreement that standing by with an axe (The Tribunal) as punishment only for bad behavior will NOT produce good behavior. Correct?

sinfulhuntr420

02-29-2012

so what do u do about ppl who will troll and just be a ****en **** wad and just give everyone a negative rating? pretty sure there ****s enough they would put negative regardless of a win. i think showing who gives rating is important cause then whats the point? even a person who carry the game will do that. not saying all but there are that ppl who are just plain out ****ed up. i mean who hasnt played with someone who has won the game for u but blames everything on u or the whole team when u helped that guy get fed? but just cause he carried he did everything.

seleleth

02-29-2012

I may not have understood your question(s) correctly, but I believe this is the answer:

Quote:
But the scum player is also likely mad at us for… whatever reason it is that they get mad. So he wants to short change us. But how? See, he MUST distribute his 100 IP in some way. If he rates us all negative, it's 25 IP each. If he rates us all positive, it's also 25 IP each. The only rating he can provide is each of us in relation to each other. This is fitting, because even though he treated others like ****, they need to watch how they treat him, because he holds one person's worth of weight in the ratings. It encourages civility amongst all players, even those who feel they are the ones being wronged.
You can't deny your teammates IP as a group (except by causing a loss, same as currently). You can only spread a fixed amount among them. More for the ones you feel deserve it (for whatever eason) and less for the ones you feel don't deserve it. Or equally. Either way, the total IP you distribute to them through your ratings is not something you can change.

theunfergivn

03-01-2012

I like this idea a lot. I have to say I dont think it will necessarily have a HUGE impact on making trolls less trolly, but I think it is important that people who are doing well and trying their best to be a good teammate be rewarded for it. This idea is very good and I hope Riot at least thinks about it or comments to discuss!!

Itorbeh

03-04-2012

Bump:

I think this topic is worth attention from riot staff.

seleleth

03-05-2012

My hope is that Riot is silent because they like the idea, or at least are interested in it, but if they come out and say something like that people start making demands (WHEN WILL IT BE DONE!!?).

Or maybe because I'm critical of The Tribunal, something they must have put hours and hours (money and money) into, they're hesitent to show any support for this topic less it be perceived as admition of failure.

Or maybe they're just lazy.

Whatever the case, something as simple as "read it" from a Riot employee would be nice.

confusedalot

03-08-2012

brilliant

undermethod

03-16-2012

tl;dr I fully support everything mentioned in the original post.

I don't know how many times people need to bump to make a difference but I can contribute one!

Hopefully a Red can take a look at this and consider it, or even just the concept if they want to make small adjustments then that's up to them. Either way, it's very well thought-out.

Furthermore, if some system is created that is remotely related to this, or inspired from this, the OP deserves some sort of reward for sure. It's pretty clear that a lot of time was spent into not only the details of how it works but also just the post itself. Correct grammar, bold headings, etc.

+1 for you, sir.