Reward Influence with Influence Points

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psymøn

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
I like the core idea, and some of the specifics, but there are some downsides too. To often I've seen players flame, harass, and even report other players for no other reason than they were doing poorly. How many times have you seen "/all report noob [champ] for feeding" when anyone with eyes can see that either a) they're the tank/support, b) the enemy team is specifically coordinated and focused against them (e.g. the carry), or c) there's some other reason it's obvious they're not intentionally feeding. They're clearly not stacking Boots 5 and running into the enemy base, calling out in allchat "come and get me!" "I'm gonna solo baron now" "Who wants to get fed?!"

Point is, the system as described by the OP can be abused, likely would be, and even if not, is needlessly complicated. I suggest instead that players simply be given the ability to single out allies who perform exemplary, the understanding being that the others were either "neutral" or "negative," and those players who are agreed to be exemplary are simply given an IP boost, after the fact. No time limit, no need to 'steal' IP from others (thus creating potential ragers), and no way to gang up on someone who simply had a bad game. Particularly negative players are already penalized IP through temporary and permanent bans from playing (they get zero for days, weeks, or months on end). Better still, this system would encourage exemplary gameplay, not just 'better than average' gameplay; it could also be (more) easily incorporated into the new Honor system by comparing post-game honor ratings. This would even allow enemies to call out good play without giving them the ability to screw someone over.
I must say that it would be an EXTREMELY lucky matchmade group if you're (for example) playing as a support, with lots of assists, and all 4 of your teammates downvote you because they believed you played "poorly". I can see how it can be considered a flaw, but is the case too rare to consider?

OP, opinion?

Beaumains

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymøn View Post
I must say that it would be an EXTREMELY lucky matchmade group if you're (for example) playing as a support, with lots of assists, and all 4 of your teammates downvote you because they believed you played "poorly". I can see how it can be considered a flaw, but is the case too rare to consider?

OP, opinion?
These (un)lucky matches crop up often enough; I've been on both sides of them. Please note that I'm not just talking about supports; the problem extends to players who, while honestly trying (ie not trolling) are simply having a bad game. Maybe the jungler was shut down early by a coordinated counter-gank, but everyone else was too busy farming to notice. Maybe the enemy jungler is camping one of the lanes. Maybe the enemy team has a literal proliferation of wards and is therefore able to catch the carry out of position quite a lot. These cases can all result in underperformance and a case of having a bad game, and because enough players still have a kills=skills mentality, the proposed system would punish such players for literally no good reason.

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Well, that's the thing about this system: Sure, you lose IP for one game. That's the thing: If you have a bad game, you'll lose some IP. Note that this system generally WON'T increase IP gains, as the average stays the same. It just deters trolling a little more. That's the beauty of this, is that the negatives of having a troll game are heavily outweighed by the strengths of it not really hurting anyone (unless they're actually a poor player)

Psymøn

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
the proposed system would punish such players for literally no good reason.
I don't think it's the system that would be punishing players, it's the teammates. Your team should know that people do generally have bad games, that tanks/supports don't necessarily get kills, etc. All 4 of the players would have to have the same uneducated mentality for this system to be used to significantly reduce the amount of IP that player with bad luck receives. While the system is open to this, I wouldn't say the system is at fault. The proposed system is designed to avert trolls, leavers and abusive players from continuing their detrimental behaviour, not to educate players about how to increase map awareness, communicate more, or understand the role of each player in the team. That should be left for a different system, possibly a set of Tips that are actually helpful (as opposed to tips recommending sunglasses to avoid damage from the sun >_> )

I still think that if all 4 players on your team don't grasp the possible reasons why your game was bad, then it is a very unlucky matchmaking experience.

Ramenhaus

11-27-2012

This is an amazing idea. By letting players vote on who was helpful and who was not, and having ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES for that vote, we can effectively get rid of the impetus to troll. Trolling is the #1 problem in this otherwise great game. There needs to be an incentive to behave.

Beaumains

12-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymøn View Post
I don't think it's the system that would be punishing players, it's the teammates. Your team should know that people do generally have bad games, that tanks/supports don't necessarily get kills, etc. . . . .

I still think that if all 4 players on your team don't grasp the possible reasons why your game was bad, then it is a very unlucky matchmaking experience.
I'm generally with you about what should be the case, and definitely with you that trolls need to be dealt with. And I'll agree that among Level 30s what should be the case often is. Where I've got an issue is two-fold: first, the potential for terrible abuse, however unlikely, and second, the needless complexity. We've said that, bottom line, we're looking for ways to encourage people to behave, and bonus IP is an incentive, a positive one that doesn't have to come at the expense of others. Tie it to the honor system and you're looking at a pretty solid solution, at least, once the honor system itself is settled.

In short, unwanted trolls are bad, but we need to make sure we're not doing worse by regular players (especially beginners); we need to make sure we're not pulling the good plants out with the weeds, and I don't think the proposed system as stated does that.

killerwave7

03-08-2013

bump (maybe for sparking new discussion)

Psymøn

04-06-2013

bumping this awesome idea because it really should be looked at by a red. most good ideas are just stolen unfortunately >_> two of mine already have been, kinda sucks.

GekkoST

04-06-2013

Bump and posted a link to this on my clan's website so they can come like it as well. Riot please!

ArcanaZeroOne

04-06-2013

While your at it do this for the Solo Que LP in Ranked PLEASE!!!