Mythbusters: Dominion Style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoldenTakeshi

01-18-2012

I notice a lot of people have some misconceptions about Dominion that needs to be addressed. There are several 'Dominion guides' detailing some of the do's and dont's, and while they are generally good, they sometimes don't go into detail properly about certain things, leading some to have a skewed vision of Dominion.

So here are some of the myths I'd like to debunk! If you can think of any more feel free to add your own!

Team comp isnt important so I'm gonna play whoever I want! - Team comp and balance are very important in Dominion, just as with any other mode. Picking to reduce your teams weaknesses, or counter the enemy team can make a huge difference as opposed to you playing your favorite AD when there are already several AD on your team. While we are on the topic of AD.....

AD's rule Dominion! - Yes AD's are inherently strong with how the game mode was created. However, just because theyre strong, it doesnt mean that your team should EVER lean heavily on any ONE aspect, including AD's. If I see the enemy team pick 3+ AD's, I go with Malphite every time and watch as they get frustrated. Additionally, there are many extremely strong and annoying AP’s who can carry just as hard as any AD.

AP's suck in Dominion! – Yes AP's dont have the power that AD's have in Dominion but that doesnt mean that they are bad. AP's often have ranged CC which can be crucial in determining team fights. Also, if your team is heavy on tankiness and/or AD, and you are the only pure AP caster, it means the enemy wont be building to counter you, making you that much stronger.

Score is meaningless in Dominion! - Score is far from meaningless in Dominion. While it is by no means a way to perfectly gauge how a player is doing, it can be a barometer telling how good/bad a player is doing over all. For a majority of the game, every kill, cap, or neutralize takes points off of their nexus, so if someone has a high score, they are probably very active where it counts. Also, if someone is active but dying a lot, doing stupid things, and has a low score, they probably deserve it. While on the topic of score…

Bro, my score is #1 while you are below me, which means you suck! - While score CAN be a good barometer of how active a player is and how much he/she is contributing, it doesnt mean that a person with a low score is bad. Very often bottom lane is in last place due to their inability to rack up kills and caps. Also, support champions often have a lower score due to assisting the team instead of getting kills. The same could be said for those people who are smart enough to run around preventing backdooring/bot ganks. I’ve been in games where I have a huge kill score, few deaths, and I’ve been actively preventing backdooring while ganking and allowing my teammates to cap a point while I scouted but end up in 3rd to 5th place because I’m not dying on a point and not being the person who ACTUALLY caps.

Champion X sucks and is useless! - While it is very obvious that some champs are OP while others are UP, I've seen every champ played successfully on Dominion. Its mostly about team comp and knowing when not to pick that champ. Most of the best champs for Dominion are ones that have high burst with escape, however I've also seen amazing trundle’s, mundo's, lux's, and ashe's. Yes it is far more likely that someone picking a UP champ will get rofl stomped, but dont rule out a champ just because he has traditionally done poorly, the person playing the champ might surprise you, especially if they are picking the champ to counter the enemy.

Just because everyone else cant play X champ and says they suck doesn’t mean I cant do well! – Stop trying to do well against a ranged assassin burst team with Ashe, Lux, Trundle, especially if it’s a champ that you don’t play often, you wont do well and you WILL make your team mad at you.

X champ should only go top/bot! - I've seen this argument a lot, especially for certain champs like heimer. People have an idea that the champ should ONLY be played a specific way when its not the case. For instance, if I were a bot heimer, and I saw someone on the enemy team take nunu or malz, I would highly reconsider swapping for someone who can handle those champs better than I can and go top instead. Heimer is just one example but I've seen a ton of people who think X champ should only be where they THINK he should be. That being said….

Bro, I should get mid cuz whatever reason/Bro, I have no boots, I should get mid!/Bro, you have no boots, you shouldn’t get mid! - Mid cap has a lot of controversy, but I'm going to state what my opinions are, you dont have to agree. The person to get mid shouldn’t be the fastest or slowest, the person who should be capping mid should 100% be the champ who will contribute the LEAST to the team fight if they got there first, but the MOST if they got there later. Champions that should NOT be capping mid are champs with safe poke, hard CC (stuns, roots, taunts, charms, fears), survivability, and escape.

I saw this build on X and it’s the best so its all I use! – Dominion is very dynamic, you need to change your playstyle to suit what is required of you. There are plenty of times I see people cry about a champion but never do anything to counter them. Some examples are: Lightbringer/Sweeper vs anyone with a stealth mechanic (or even escape mechanism where they flash to the safety of the brush), armor items (TM, randuins, etc) vs bursty auto attackers, MR items+tenacity vs assassin casters, etc. I get it, you saw on a thread, or a “known” player, or a stream or video that using a certain build is the best. However on Dominion, changing your style could mean the difference between an easy win, or an easy defeat. If you find yourself dying over and over to a specific thing, LEARN TO BUILD TO COUNTER IT.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTakeshi View Post
AP's suck in Dominion! – Yes AP's dont have the power that AD's have in Dominion but that doesnt mean that they are bad. AP's often have ranged CC which can be crucial in determining team fights. Also, if your team is heavy on tankiness and/or AD, and you are the only pure AP caster, it means the enemy wont be building to counter you, making you that much stronger.
APs are NOT inferior to ADs at all, you dont take them just for the sake of diversity, some of the top picks/bans are AP(Kass, ryze)

Quote:
Score is meaningless in Dominion! - Score is far from meaningless in Dominion. While it is by no means a way to perfectly gauge how a player is doing, it can be a barometer telling how good/bad a player is doing over all. For a majority of the game, every kill, cap, or neutralize takes points off of their nexus, so if someone has a high score, they are probably very active where it counts. Also, if someone is active but dying a lot, doing stupid things, and has a low score, they probably deserve it. While on the topic of score…
Score doesnt matter

Quote:
Bro, my score is #1 while you are below me, which means you suck! - While score CAN be a good barometer of how active a player is and how much he/she is contributing, it doesnt mean that a person with a low score is bad. Very often bottom lane is in last place due to their inability to rack up kills and caps. Also, support champions often have a lower score due to assisting the team instead of getting kills. The same could be said for those people who are smart enough to run around preventing backdooring/bot ganks. I’ve been in games where I have a huge kill score, few deaths, and I’ve been actively preventing backdooring while ganking and allowing my teammates to cap a point while I scouted but end up in 3rd to 5th place because I’m not dying on a point and not being the person who ACTUALLY caps.
Thanks for explaining why score doesnt matter. The best player in the team can easily land as the last, while the worst player of the team can land first. The current score system PUNISHES you for playing to win.

Twilight Monkey

01-18-2012

Good commentary, +1 in my book.

Edit: Ascleph, did you actually read the post?

VhakulaKhaulepi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Monkey View Post
Good commentary, +1 in my book.

Edit: Ascleph, did you actually read the post?
He attacked the weak points (the OP wasn't entirely wrong), and he's right - score doesn't matter, and there are powerful AP picks. All that matters is winning.

Quote:
Team comp isnt important so I'm gonna play whoever I want! - Team comp and balance are very important in Dominion, just as with any other mode. Picking to reduce your teams weaknesses, or counter the enemy team can make a huge difference as opposed to you playing your favorite AD when there are already several AD on your team. While we are on the topic of AD.....
So true. I get tired of my team having a crappy bottom (hehehe), so I may end up maining Yorick forever and ever.

GoldenTakeshi

01-18-2012

I didnt say that AP's were bad at all, I'm trying to debunk the myth that people think AP's are bad (check forums, its all over the place). I also totally agree, many of the strongest picks are casters (ryze, fizz, kass, etc).

My standing on AP's not having the power of AD's comes from the fact that when AP's skills are down, they have to wait for cool downs, while AD's can continue to auto-attack. Considering that there are tons of constant team fights, unless you are at 40% CDR, you will find yourself with downtime, either auto-attack, or back off while waiting for your cool downs to refresh. (Some exceptions are soraka and ryze, who want to be up in the mix).

Ascleph

01-18-2012

Quote:
I didnt say that AP's were bad at all, I'm trying to debunk the myth that people think AP's are bad (check forums, its all over the place). I also totally agree, many of the strongest picks are casters (ryze, fizz, kass, etc).

My standing on AP's not having the power of AD's comes from the fact that when AP's skills are down, they have to wait for cool downs, while AD's can continue to auto-attack. Considering that there are tons of constant team fights, unless you are at 40% CDR, you will find yourself with downtime, either auto-attack, or back off while waiting for your cool downs to refresh. (Some exceptions are soraka and ryze, who want to be up in the mix).
Well, the thing about AP's is that when they are not casting they are/should be positioning themselves, something ADs(specially autoatkers and melees) cant afford to do most of the time, so thats not a disadvantage at all.
I mostly agree with you, I just dont think ADs are superior to APs or APs to ADs, they are both on equal standings, there are really strong AP champs and there are really strong AD champs.

Moving on to more myths:

Tanky dps dominates: No they dont, they have their place in team comps just like pretty much every other type of champion, but if your team is full of them, chances are you are gonna get hard countered.

Akali/GP OP!: No, they are good just like most champs in dominion but they are reaaaaaaaally far from being top picks or bans, sadly, until you get out of the "SR player" elo range, you'll see lots of that.

Eve sucks: Backcapping eve 24/7 does suck, but a team player eve can be amazing.

Supports dont have a place in dominion: Supporting is really important in team fights and some of the top dominion teams actually use supports in their team comp as seen in monday's tournament, also, you dont HAVE to build them support, most of them can be extremely powerful when build to do damage.

Narog

01-18-2012

score is nothing you can stay in mid turret doing nothing and get score (have seen afk do this) or constantly losing and retaking bot and get also high score

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narog1 View Post
score is nothing you can stay in mid turret doing nothing and get score (have seen afk do this) or constantly losing and retaking bot and get also high score
"Martyr" really tickles me.

Veztai

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascleph View Post
Supports dont have a place in dominion: Supporting is really important in team fights and some of the top dominion teams actually use supports in their team comp as seen in monday's tournament, also, you dont HAVE to build them support, most of them can be extremely powerful when build to do damage.
I agree with this one! Got blamed for "losing" a match last night because I chose Taric. Went largely auras since we had enough damage potential up top, with Kog and Riven being there. Too bad the team neglected to consider that our team captain let the other team grab Rammus and that our bot basically lost it the minute they stepped out of the gates, lol

VhakulaKhaulepi

01-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veztai View Post
I agree with this one! Got blamed for "losing" a match last night because I chose Taric.
Next time they give you a hard time, show 'em this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTiNGNKbyGE

You cannot lose.