Alright, I'd like to give a friendly word of advice to all of the new rammus players.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2012

yep rushing thornmail(and armor in general) is a rammus noob trap.

RealWolf M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2012

I'm just going to add this:

More armour makes last whisper LESS effective. Sounds funny doesn't it, but its true.

Simple math, say 100 armour is 30% resistance (it isn't), 200 armour is 50% resistance, and 400 armour is 60% resistance.

Rammus at 200 armour, you do half damage. You get last whisper, you are now dealing 70% damage. Thats not a 50% increase from your 50% penetration, so while it increases your damage the armour is helping.

Rammus at 400 armour, you do 40% dmg. You get a last whisper and are now dealing 50% dmg. Thats a 25% dmg increase from your last whisper. So it is FAR less effective at helping you deal damage with that higher armour.

Not saying don't stack armour, or dont' get last whisper, just saying that even with last whisper, getting more resistance DOES help, please stop telling people incorrect information

Draydan

02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavderion View Post
What about a tanky derps build on Rammus? Fratmas and maybe some magic resist. Someone tried this yet?
I go 2BelTmas or Fratmas, then pure AD.

Always fun to being able to outdamage AD carries.

I play like that for several months already.

Ravenite

Adjudicator

02-04-2012

Your reasoning and math are completely wrong RealWolf. If the opponent has x armor, then your damage multiplier against them is 100/(100+x). Now, assuming 50% pen on the one hand, and 0% on the other, your two multipliers are 100/(100+x) with no pen, and 100/(100+x/2) for 50%. Now, we want to know % increase in damage for 50% pen. This is just the second multiplier divided by the first (damage after pen/damage before pen). This gives (100+x)/(100+x/2). Now, you can graph this or take a derivative or whatever, but you'll find that this is monotonically increasing in x for positive armor values, and therefore last whisper provides a larger damage increase for higher armor values.

Draydan

02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWolf M View Post
I'm just going to add this:

More armour makes last whisper LESS effective. Sounds funny doesn't it, but its true.

Simple math, say 100 armour is 30% resistance (it isn't), 200 armour is 50% resistance, and 400 armour is 60% resistance.

Rammus at 200 armour, you do half damage. You get last whisper, you are now dealing 70% damage. Thats not a 50% increase from your 50% penetration, so while it increases your damage the armour is helping.

Rammus at 400 armour, you do 40% dmg. You get a last whisper and are now dealing 50% dmg. Thats a 25% dmg increase from your last whisper. So it is FAR less effective at helping you deal damage with that higher armour.

Not saying don't stack armour, or dont' get last whisper, just saying that even with last whisper, getting more resistance DOES help, please stop telling people incorrect information
yeah, but vs Last Whisper you pay twice for that additional resistance ;(

Also the more armor you get, the more armor it penetrates (bc its a % penetration)

PrometheanRage

02-04-2012

rush mallet and max dbc - health plus resistance = win. (also, taunt + slow = win.)

crujuco

02-05-2012

Thornmail is an excellent Item for rammus. He gets damage from armor from his passive. Unless there is a huge imbalance of AP Casters I dont see why you wouldnt get it early.

Dont buy sunfires. If you want bulk health work on Frozen mallet.

Most games will be the standard Boots mobility.>Thornmail> Mallet>Wits End/Starks>Atmas

Most mages cant burst you from full to 0 once you have your mallet. Once they blow cooldowns you should have enough auto attack damage to finish them