Morello challenge: bust open the meta (AP mid edition)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-03-2012
1 of 11 Riot Posts

Hey folks,

I've been theory-crafting and would like to get some hands on his ways to shake the meta apart. Not only is it fun, but it keeps things fresh!

I'd like to see what counters to AP mids you guys can get results out of that are not AP mids. Examples of champions I could see having a shot would be Talon, Xin, or Riven.

Let's all go try some crazy stuff (may wanna duo or team!) and see if we can find new strategies. I look forward to looking at your opinions

EDIT: The challenge is to go think of ideas to go try, not theory-craft. Experimentation is the challenge!

Mulldozer5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

I've seen Lee Sin do crazily well against AP TF mid. More to come
edit: I feel like any champion that can get ontop of the APs fast will succeed. So like you said, Talon would jump on any ap mid and decimate them.

What do people think of a Nasus mid who gets a few early points in his Slow? Combined with an jungler with hard CC, the AP mid would go down fast.

Also, what if there was a doran's item that gave MR, similar to how Doran's Shield gives Armor? That may lead to the tanky dps or even a pure tank moving into mid lane.

Angry gorilla

02-03-2012

Irelia, Better nerf

Masterwalker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

What counters AP mid? Maybe Sivir?

Edit: i think Morello is gonna nerf champion said in this thread.... Because of, er too much utility.

goldenglue

02-03-2012

Malphite just did great for me went 3/0/5 agansit a cassiopea in lane. Started boots and then proceded to get HoG and negatron cloak and she just got destroyed. Will play more games and see how it works agansit other Ap's. add me i'll duo the night away.

Do not focus

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hey folks,

I've been theory-crafting and would like to get some hands on his ways to shake the meta apart. Not only is it fun, but it keeps things fresh!

I'd like to see what counters to AP mids you guys can get results out of that are not AP mids. Examples of champions I could see having a shot would be Talon, Xin, or Riven.

Let's all go try some crazy stuff (may wanna duo or team!) and see if we can find new strategies. I look forward to looking at your opinions
Xin is too weak to attempt to go up against an annie or an ahri at the moment.

Zarkashi

02-03-2012

Hrm.... counters to AP mid. Talon seems to be the best choice from my perspective but I know there are many others that could do it.

Myrkr Lokidottir

02-03-2012

Have seen a mid Volibear.

Was devastating.

Also, what happened to Ashe and GP at mid?

HISTORY TEACHER

02-03-2012

I've seen one or two Pantheons do rather well in mid, using Pantheon's great early game to shut down the opposing AP mid. I'm unsure however as to who he was facing up against.

I'm really interested in Urgot, as he's someone people rarely use, and although I know people know of him and have used him mid, has a ton of potential. Between that zoning potential, and that ult, h'o man. (Urgot's free this week, I challenge everyone to roll up in blind pick and try some of this out... no bonus points if you infuriate people in ranked)

Then there are champs that I'd think would be really dumb to try out, but could possible be a counter to one or two specific AP mids. People like twitch or Mundo (I mean, he does go where he pleases... mid lane is no exception), could be interesting if you found that they countered a certain aspect of a traditional AP mid.

Will D Tran

02-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Hey folks,

Im 100% down to play! Ive been testing out roaming with the current XP masteries, it seems average rn. But that could just be me. Have a dedicated Jungler and roamer give 2 man ganks, or bot/top simultaneous ganks. It has potential.

EDIT: I always want to try out pantheon mid..