Minions and wave pushing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seravertei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Alone, they're useless, insignificant and weak; but, when they're grouped up, they can make the difference in a game; in fact, they're an essential element to the game.

My one complaint about dominion is how minions seem to make very little long term differences. In SR they determine the flow of the game, and are important from laning until the final push on the nexus. However, in Dominion, it's as if their presence doesn't make a difference. I'm referring to how minions only spawn at friendly points adjacent to an enemy point and how after minions capture a point, they commit suicide, making wave pushing completely pointless. (Imagine it as if minions suddenly died upon destroying the enemy inhibitor in their lane) Rather than being a nuisance on Dominion, players should have to not only focus on capture points and enemy champions but the minion waves as well.

TL DR: Minions accomplish very little in Dominion, unlike SR
my proposed changes: Minions don't suicide upon capturing a point. All friendly capture points spawn minions every x seconds. Lower frequency of minion spawns. Reduced damage to champions.

Isysar

02-04-2012

Uh . . . I can see where your coming from, and the suicide I dislike. that's the only thing I'd consider changing.

I think everything else about minions is rather good. Sometimes a big wave of them will neutralize or cap by themselves, but not all the time of course.

The point of the mode is more focused on player versus player combat. I think minions are filling there intended role as of now, but not commiting suicide would be a good change. Have them just keep pushing.

This might make Ionic Spark a decent choice finally on single target champs like EZ or Vayne to clear waves.

Carpe Vinum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2012

I would be happy just to have promote be smart enough to never target a minion that's about to kill itself, or to have promoted minions at least not commit suicide. Can't tell you how many times I've capped a point then wasted my promote because the thing targeted a minion in the lemming stage instead of one of the new wave that I was going for.

Panwar

02-04-2012

Pushing minion waves is often times the only way to take defended point. To say that they are useless means you are missing a pretty fundamental part of Dom strategy.

There was a specific reason that the minions suicided on the point, a dev posted about it at one point. But I can't remember the reason and I sure won't be able to find the post.

But from one perspective it makes each tower you take an effort. It would be kind of lame if you could just minion wave 1 tower and then get the next one for free.

echoheadxx

02-04-2012

I donno OP I think minions are very powerful as is. You just need to babysit them a bit to use them.

Mibuwolf

02-04-2012

Minions that don't suicide sounds interesting. It would change things in dominion a bit (probably for the better)

Glorious Bird

02-04-2012

Minions not suiciding would cause too big of a snowball OR give the enemy a gigantic amount of gold. Push/Heal team would become relatively unbeatable as you could just build up a massive army that circles the map while you sustain/hold a point furthest away.

Alternatively a clumped massive army of creeps against, say, Morgana's soil? It would be like hitting the jackpot.

It would just snowball unfairly for both sides and making creep waves stronger by lasting longer would detract the play style focus of PvP to force players to deal with minions and focusing/stopping minions more often adding a PvE element I am not looking for in Dominion.

Kiddalee

02-04-2012

Minions aren't that useless. Sure, you run past them when the point you're going for is undefended; but much of the time, you need them to push a lane against a defended point. The difference between Summoner's Rift and Dominion is that you have a choice whether to use minions or not.

RealWolf M

02-04-2012

simple explanation. They don't suicide, they do damage to the tower and take damage in return.

Its exactly the same as summoners rift in the aspect of individual towers, they creeps die cause of tower damage, but they damage the tower so it is more likely to be destroyed

Kiddalee

02-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWolf M View Post
simple explanation. They don't suicide, they do damage to the tower and take damage in return.

Its exactly the same as summoners rift in the aspect of individual towers, they creeps die cause of tower damage, but they damage the tower so it is more likely to be destroyed
They do suicide if they live through a capture. Doesn't make changes necessary, though.