Rumble laning phase: why am I failing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YerrowManatee

02-03-2012

Ok, so according to a lot of people, Rumble's early-game laning, and overall laning, is extremely good at top. However, I am having a very hard time winning my lane, and even though I usually make up for my failures in teamfights, I still want to know how to do better in lane.
The three champions that recently "wiped the floor with me" are Garen, Irelia, and GP.

The Garen ignored my Flamethrower harass, ignored my Harpoons, and just silenced me and spun towards me until he did relatively good damage, all the while healing all of my harass back with his Regrowth Pendant. In the end, I fed him two kills when he got his ult, and he ended up taking the tower.

The Irelia was a really hard lane, even worse than Garen. She also ignored my harass, but every time I came anywhere near the enemy minions, she zoned me out with her slow and teleport. In one burst, she took off half of my health! All the harass I managed to pull off was pointless because of her healing!
I ended up feeding her 4 kills, and then she dominated everyone and we lost because of me.

The GP lane was just completely impossible. His very first Parley that he pulled off at level 2 did crit me for over 250 damage, which is half of my health, so needless to say I had to port and waste my teleport right at the start of the game. The harass was much easier to pull off, but in the end I always lost in terms of damage because of his insane crits. He just turret dove me every chance he got as soon as he got his ult, and I couldn't do anything at all!

Thanks for taking your time to read this. All help appreciated!

PS: I don't need an item build guide, because I know how to build Rumble well (unless it's some specific counter to one of those champs). What I need is some tips and tricks on playing him better; maybe some secret that not every Rumble player knows.

I start with Boots and 3 Pots, then rush a Revolvers. From there, it depends how well I do in-lane, and everything after that completely depends on the enemy team. Obviously, Rylais is a must.

Attico

02-03-2012

With all 3 of those champs, armor + pots might be better. Max your harpoons a bit and just ranged last hit. between those and your shield to jump away, you should be able to farm ok. It will also keep you from pushing too hard. Honestly though, I find that commiting with him is key. Wait till level 3 with 2 in Flames and 1 in shield. when you harass, don't back off till you auto hit them a couple times...or at least keep them in your flames till it wears off. Garen can't silence your Flame thrower if it's already on!

corallein

02-03-2012

Garen is one of the few typical solo top melee champions who might be able to compete with Rumble in damage, and definitely wins out if he silences you before you turn your flamethrower on. Though I don't have enough experience to say for sure and it's not something I've seen in the pro/tournament games that I've watched, so I can't say for sure what way the lane should go.
But Rumble is more than capable of kiting Garen with Harpoons, so you shouldn't take much damage from Garen if you don't think you can win the trades.

Irelia shouldn't be a problem for Rumble. Rumble's sustained damage is so much higher than Irelia, and she doesn't have any burst damage to take him down without taking tons of damage herself. The only healing Irelia gets is from Hiten Style and auto-attacking creeps, but Irelia should never be able to get in auto-attack range of the creeps except at her tower.

And against GP you probably should have start Cloth Armor + 5x pots. Lucky crits are one thing, but getting spammed down by Parrley can be avoided by early armor and lots of pots. He'll run out of mana eventually, and once you get a Revolver, it shouldn't be a problem.

And if you got crit for 250 damage at level 2, I have to wonder what runes/masteries you're running. Solo top Rumble should be running MPen marks, flat armor seals, flat or per level AP level glyphs, and choice quints (movespeed or flat AP). Most common mastery build for Rumble is 21/9/0 with 3 points for +6 armor. You should have a minimum of 38 armor at level 1, which will greatly reduce the damage you take from typical solo top champions.

And finally, watch your heat. Rumble does a LOT more damage above 50 heat, and even more when overheated with the flamethrower on.

YerrowManatee

02-03-2012

Thanks for the above replies, much appreciated.
Any more suggestions?

Powerstoned

02-03-2012

Get good/better with the harpoon, staying at the end of its range(so a garen and gp can't ever reach you), rush a rylais, level up Q first, get sorc boots. It's easy to dominate 1v1 with rumble. Sometimes you have to get a cloth armor on your first trip back.