Swain

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ikarurob

02-03-2012

is swain outclassed on dom? he seems a bit like Cass in dot dept.

What would be a decent core items on him? Sorc boots, Wota, Rylais?

zionist shill

02-03-2012

Swain is awesome. I don't really play him bot to much, tbh. But he can do decent. He just has it rough early on. He is also a pain to deal with if you get their close point and you have a zhonyas.

As for builds, I find that RoA for the sustain is best, then Rabadons or a zhonyas,and Sorc shoes,then get whatever you didn't get next. then its kinda situational. Spirit Visage works well with him, so does WotA. Void Staff if they are building lots of MR. AS if you really want but I never really get it for him. And if they are really melee centric picking up a Rylais can really screw with them. Generally I am able to get a RoA, then a deathcap then the game is usually over. By then though your E+Q combo is quite deadly.

Also Ignite is mandatory.

Lenowill

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Pretty much what Purple Reign said. Always run Ignite on Swain. Always. It getting the damage boost from Torment is just nasty. As for the other summoner, I tend to carry either Garrison (if I'm bottom) or Ghost if I'm not. I find the runspeed helpful for kiting in a pinch or for getting to a point in a big hurry. Exhaust is a reasonable option if you expect melee or AD Carry shenanigans to be a problem.

I start with a Catalyst on him regardless of where I'm going. The health and mana sustain is just too good for his skillset not to, at least for the way I play him at the moment.

Ikarurob

02-03-2012

whats your mastery setup. I dont play alot of mages, and Im torn between a 20/0/10 a 9/21/0 but lack of Ap experience really hurts.

zionist shill

02-03-2012

Either 21/0/9 or 21/9/0 work. I personally like the extra 21/0/9 for the movement speed and mana though. Or you can take a point and put it into Summoners Resolve if you plan on bringing garrison.

Ikarurob

02-03-2012

thanks for the help!

zionist shill

02-03-2012

Also Mana Regen per lvl seals help out a lot, and are cheap. But I do believe they fixed the bug with his ult not giving him mana regen, so you don't need to bust your balls to get them.

LordJerichoSwain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

hes really good if you get spirit visage, wota, dethcap and rylias

Nyx87

02-03-2012

I typically take Swain when i see the other team has 3 or more melee champs. His ability to sustain is amazing with his ult. I have tried the visage, wota, d'cap route but find it too squishy. I now go for RoA, Resist boots of some kind, Chalice of harmony for keeping the ult up longer, Wota then tanky as needed(Hourglass, Abyssal scepter, even thornmail if ad is a real problem).

Dremare

02-03-2012

Swain is the epitome of slow starts. He is outpushed by almost every single other champion in the game, if you run him bot. HOWEVER. Once you reach your six and as you go from there you will have diminishing problems with the minion waves. Swain is great because he trades very well; people underestimate your damage over time because they don't immediately see their health bars draining away.

Build for bot/Tanky build: Catalyst, RoA, Boots, Visage, Revolver, Rylai's, WoTA, item of choice.

This is probably the best for those games you can drag out. Eventually you're so tanky and vamp so much that you can force three bot to get rid of you. However, you still have a cripplingly (see what I did thar) weak early game, and you'll be forced to play passively and rely on ganks. If you do reach mid/endgame though, you'll be unstoppable.

Build for top/Burst build: Fiendish Codex, Boots, Deathfire Grasp, WoTA, Rylai's, Zhonya's Hourglass, item of choice.

This grants you a large amount of earlygame dps, being able to nuke down squishy champions in one combo. The rylai's and zhonya's build orders could switch, depending on what you need to survive against. However, this build trades much of your lategame tankyness for earlygame burst.

And of course build Magic Resist/Armor as needed. These are just general build paths.

I play Swain a lot; I hope that this helps you a bit. See you on the Crystal Scar!