Cheap vs. Expensive items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

In Dominion, games are generally shorter and you get less gold for kills. However, with the passive gold aura, it is possible to be able to afford really expensive things.

Lets say we have a DOM game that last from 15-20 minutes. In your opinion, how many major items should you have? (Things ranging from 2,500+ gold.)

Of course, items are situational, but this is a question of cost-effectiveness. When is it better to have either a wardens mail or a frozen heart?

Stimuz

02-03-2012

Average gold for a somewhat competitive match will be around 12-14k for top and 14k+ bot. You can really only afford maybe two 3k+ items but luckily there are a LOT of powerful 2.5k and below items.

FH = CDR/mana more than the aura, Wardens mail = anti kite for them + kite for you. To me, it's easier to justify the cost of going from Glacial -> FH than Wardens -> Randuins.

Prometheius

02-03-2012

Depends on the stat you're looking for. It's not really situational, more of a "Good time to stop" sort of thing.

General, based on the role, by 15 minutes:

AP Tops: 2 Major (RoA and Death Cap), 2 Medium (Deathfire and Boots 2) + 2 Minor (Depends on situation. Usually some defense)

AD Carries: 2 Major (IE/Triforce + PD/Cleaver) + 2 Medium (Boots 2 + BF Sword) + 1 Minor (Vamp Scepter)

Tanks: 2 Major (Randuin's/TMail/FHeart + Odyn's) + 1 Medium (Boots 2) + 2 Situational Minors (Chain/Cloth/Null-magic/Negatron/Giant Belt/Ruby Crystal)

Tanky DPS: Atma's + Tforce + 2 Mediums (Boots + BF Sword/Giant Belt)

AP: Mid-tier items best after RoA and Death cap if you must continue stacking AP. Deathfire would likely be the very last AP item any caster will get before building defenses.

AD: Go for broke and get the higher cost items if you are good with them, just get the AD components first. After IE and BCleaver/Entrophy, you'll most likely be building other stats.

HP: Get the smaller items and build them up. Ruby crystal builds into SO MANY ITEMS that it's almost universally better than Giant Belt items unless you have a specific use in mind, such as Sunfire + Tmail rammus for massive damage.

Armor: It's a 3-way tie here. TMail is nice vs AD auto-attackers that would just barely survive because you couldn't DPS enough. Randuin's is almost universal gold here for the extreme speed advantages it gives and it works the best against almost all types. FHeart for CDR and Mana alongside the crazy Armor and atk speed reduction.

Mres: Odyn's and call it a day. Odyn's is, hands down, the single most cost-effective item for MR. Maybe Hexdrinker for the AD guys.

Life Steal: Only stat that actually has a real debate. Sanguine Blade is ungodly expensive and takes too long to stack, if you stopped attacking to hide. Executioner's Calling is a good substitute. Earlier lifesteal, helps cut regen more, DoT, and crit chance.

lbgsloan

02-03-2012

QSS is fine for mres too, as is simply throwing a plain old negatron into your build. You generally don't need extreme mres (Veil or Fon) until you're playing a tank or Ryze and can afford to drop 3k into a mres item. Also, Aegis is a great all-in-one defensive item for any build.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

I haven't finished a 6 item build in a long time

EinzigerAI

02-03-2012

I've never even been close to a full 6 item build. I think the closest I've come is Rabs/Lich/Gunblade/Rylai. And I think maybe a wand with it?

Isysar

02-03-2012

I've recently decided to never build a single item above 2.5k if I can help it.

Just stick with small, cheaper, gold efficient items.

I rarely find myself in games where I can make more than 11k.

This might not work for carries, but I loathe carries and never play them, so I don't know how crucial it is to get the IE or w/e.

If I had to play a carry, just Stack Sanguine Blades; those mofos as so fricking OP.

GrignardTS

02-03-2012

Yea, stack sangune.

You're so much easier to burst that way.

slyguy6802

02-04-2012

If I find myself needing an edge to get back on top of the fights ill go for an mid-game item to boost up my stats.

KimKelley

02-04-2012

This is a great question and is related to my constant debate with fellow Yorick players.

I rarely don't have a full build for Yorick at the end. Manamune, for example, is a fantastic item but it takes a fair bit of time and money to build. My normal build, in comparison, is dirt cheap. It assumes a total gold value of 12k.

Honestly, if you ever read a Dom guide and their full build is above 13k, I think it's useless. Yeah you might get to that point in the last 30s of the game, but how does that help you win?