Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Q about Doran's

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Halcione

02-03-2012

So, I'm relatively new at this game still, and there's been something thats bugging me for quite a bit.

You see, whenever I start making my builds, I always hesitate to buy Doran's items. I personally preffer to work straight towards core items (IE/PD for ad carries, and so on), after all, it just seems the most efficient gold-wise to me. But in every single "pro" match i watch, every player stacks Doran's early on. I tend to have my first core item relatively early while pro players seem to get it rather late (well late from my perspective, i suppose from theirs its timely). I also see "pro" players buying the full item right off the bat (except for IE where they buy BFS), from my perspective, they just seem to stack Doran's and just sit gathering gold until they have the total amount for the item they want (or a bit less if they are selling a Doran's to get it).

I see the appeal of Doran's items, they have very rounded effects that really help early game, and later you can just sell them back to get better items. But this just does not seem very efficient to me. For example, i've tried stacking some Doran's before, and i find myself in situations where had i not bought them, i would have had enough money for a strong core item. Plus, I personally seem to perform better overall when i dedicate my gold to slowly making my core items instead of stacking Doran's.

So my question is this, is there something i'm not seeing that makes stacking Doran's such a more appealing option? I've tried looking at this, and it just always seems to be inefficient, what am I missing that makes early stacking Doran's the preferred build choice by pros?

Calyx

02-03-2012

This is normally done on AD carries.

Be it, one of the squishiest types of champions in this game.

Standard build is Boots 3 (non sustain support, or against heavy harass lanes), or Dorans (with a sustain support).

The dorans build: Allows for easier last hitting. 100 More health, and allowing for stronger trades.

Boots 3 : allows for more sustain in lane, sacrificing health and damage. along with 3% lifesteal.

The reason people go 2 dblades, is it beefs them up quite a bit, while giving them a bit of damage. The 6% life steal adds up with 3 % from masteries, making it 9%.

This is mainly for early game. You start working towards big items after the zerker greaves + 2 dblades.

Again, mainly for early survivability.

For example.

Two ashes (i use ashe as theres no steroids).

1v1 - An ashe with 2 dblades boots will win a fight against an Ashe with boots bf sword.

Because of the extra health. She's only doing 25 less damage. Has 6% more life steal, and 200 more HP

Etherimp

02-03-2012

Basically, you have to consider the context of what you are watching. Pro-games are against relatively equally skilled opponents who understand the mechanics of the game in ways which you and I do not.. Furthermore, I think the Pro's play for a strong early/mid game, because they understand that there is a definite "snowball" effect on playing well early game. If you do well early game, it likely won't matter that your early game decisions were inefficient because you have gained such a lead on your opponents that your first "big item" will completely shut them down. Buying Dorans items is just to keep you on par with everyone else and make the most use of your early farm until you can establish a clear dominance.

Also, Dorans items provide a mixture of all the necessary stats for their respective niche. They keep your character "balanced" in terms of survivability/damage. This creates a good solid character with the purchase of one item, rather than having to spend much more gold for pieces of a legendary item, where you will be weak in one or more areas while only being strong in one.

Example: Dorans Blade gives Health, Lifesteal, and Damage.. You would have to buy a Red Crystal, Long Sword, and Vampiric Scepter to achieve similar balance, while spending a lot more money. Doesn't matter that it is for less overall return... Because early game, staying alive and getting farmed and establishing a monetary lead are what matters.

Halcione

02-03-2012

thank you both for the answers, i guess i'm just personally too hesitant to spend money on an item that i would just end up re-selling at some point. I'll take your words and give it more time and see if i can get more used to it.

Epjest

02-03-2012

If your doing well in lane (ahead on CS and or scored a kill) buying towards your late game early is normally more beneficial.

If your tied, or struggling buying 2~3 dorans can give you the needed leverage to get the advantage.

Etherimp

02-03-2012

Quote:
Epjest:
If your doing well in lane (ahead on CS and or scored a kill) buying towards your late game early is normally more beneficial.

If your tied, or struggling buying 2~3 dorans can give you the needed leverage to get the advantage.

This. If I can farm >1600 gold before recalling, I will definitely use it on a BF sword.. Thing is, if you keep getting sent back, you might as well buy a dorans or two to give you an edge in lane. Don't just buy it to buy it because the pros do.. buy it when appropriate.

ForsakenImp

02-03-2012

Also early damage items allow for easier lasthits. One of the oft-overlooked aspects of pro play when viewed by non-pros is the Creep Score. Add up all these extra hits, and the lifesteal ends up being more significant as well.