New jax still seems sucky

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wtfrog

02-03-2012

I thought the point of remaking jax was to make him, you know, better, at the same time you were ridding the game of the dodge mechanic.

Before he had some big flaws in his defenses that let him get shut down vs. organized teams but he still put out truckloads of damage and was reasonably tough.

Now he has the same flaws, he does less damage, and he is no where near as tough.

Uh, what?

1. Leap strike no longer uses sheen for whatever reason.
2. His W doesn't scale with AD?
3. Fixed duration dodge active seriously makes no sense at all as a concept. They just hit someone else or slow jax and move out of range.
4. Slightly buffing his base hp and hp/level gains is supposed to make up for the hundreds of hp he used to get from building damage items?

Maybe I'm missing something? No matter how I look at it I can't figure out how this is supposed to be better than how he used to be.

Cenerae

02-03-2012

They remade him, that doesn't imply that the end result will be much more powerful than the old form.

Leap Strike never has procced onhit effects, incidentally. It was just able to take Empower into account. Besides, you'd then hit them after leaping anyway, so you'd still use the sheen proc.

Look at his ult though. This is what makes him work at all. He gets a HUGE amount of AD and AP when he activates it, so you can build generic and tanky like every other bruiser in the game now. Thus making you beefy like the old Jax, but you still have high damage without needing too much in the way of actual dps gear.

Amoc

02-03-2012

I only started playing him after the remake, but I really like him. His early game is just aweful IMO, but once you hit level 6 and can farm better with him, I think he rules. For tanky dps, he HURTS.

SFHFWill

02-03-2012

Jax is the same as before. He becomes this unstopable juggernaut end game that no one in their right mind would try to 1v1. Try to have wiggles on him tho, a lot of people skip that. It allows for a nice jump ward late game when you have all slots full.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

They weren't trying to make him BETTER exactly. Just remove dodge.

He did seem to get more nerfs than buffs though, Id agree. He lost about 2500g worth of free health typically gotten in an average game.
The bit of extra base and levelup health he got certainly doesn't compensate.

Faster Empower is great, as is +0.2 AP ratio. But losing extra AD ratio?!? That sucks.

Leapstrike is a bit better early as cooldown ranges were reduced. Not working with sheen sucks though and Id think is a BUG.

Lost 4 stacks worth of AS scaling, but got them at level 1 with more scaling points instead of 6,11,16 only.

Lost constant 10-20% damage mitagation with occasional stun (plus boots which anyone could get) in exchange for a 2 sec 100% mitigation with a controllable stun/attack. Overall a nice consistency change, though loss of raw power.

Lost a clickable magic resistance buff of about +60 (worth 900g).

Gained a HUGE AD/AP steroid, that is worth thousands of gold, plus a 20% bonus on top of that. This significant increases his damage output.

So now Jax goes Tanky DPS like everyone else, except with odd AP scaling which is mostly unused and magical damage periodically applied.
Jax has a ton of built in autoattack damage, so he can go mostly tanky and be effective. He just doesnt have the burst he used to.

Free autoattack stuff: 84% AS max (2k gold worth), free on-hit magical damage every 3rd attack (about 40-60 per hit, plus AP scale), free AD boost with 20% bonus, free AP boost plus bonus (to crank up 3rd attack damage and empower, free bonus attack on 3 sec CD).

Amoc

02-03-2012

I don't think Jax plays as tanky as other tanky dps. His kit, IMO, seems to have him somewhere between tanky dps and AD carry. His passive is so freaking strong by end game and synergizes with his ult, so it seems to me like you'd REALLY want to scale that with a strong AD build. You wouldn't build him glass cannon or anything, but I wouldn't be rushing Warmog's with him either. With his active dodge E, and his escape ability with Q, I think you can afford to make him a little more squishy like Tryndamere, and less like Jarvan or other tanky DPS.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

The problem with that thought is that he doesn't have the health to do it. Hes strong vs physical, but is very vulnerable to magical burst damage now.

Plus, he doesn't really "burst" himself and takes a bit for him to get going unlike other AD Casters or bruisers even.

So I feel like he really does need the Warmog health and Banshee magic resistance to not get bursted down before he can contribute.

I do agree with you that you realllly wanna build his AS/AD to take advantage of all that tasty AS, onhit, AD boost he gets! But his dodge is a long way off from Trynd's GodMode.

FaerellG

02-03-2012

Yeah, but Trynd's "God mode" as you put it is his ulti and on a much longer cooldown. Also, it doesn't do an AoE stun after it ends.

Phourc

02-05-2012

The change was to give him more early game damage while removing his free 2k health endgame because, come on, that was bull****. xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Leapstrike is a bit better early as cooldown ranges were reduced. Not working with sheen sucks though and Id think is a BUG.
No, as stated earlier in the thread Jax's Q never applied on-hit effects, just his Empower. If it ever did Frozen mallet would have been mandatory on him since forever...