Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tanks. (yes tanks)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

biomorph

02-03-2012

Quote:
Etherimp:
As the tank, you are the team leader.

That is a complete non seqiteur, thinking like this will only impair you and your team more than which is good for anyone. The consideration one needs to apply to this game is far more multifarious and nuanced to comply with this limitation you put in here.

You pose a few good points, but they are not solely your responsibility. Even if what you say is true, it is more than any single player can manage on his own.

Etherimp

02-03-2012

Quote:
biomorph:
That is a complete non seqiteur, thinking like this will only impair you and your team more than which is good for anyone. The consideration one needs to apply to this game is far more multifarious and nuanced to comply with this limitation you put in here.

You pose a few good points, but they are not solely your responsibility. Even if what you say is true, it is more than any single player can manage on his own.

I think you're reading something into my post which simply isn't there. By no means am I suggesting that "It's my way or the highway because I'm the tank!".. That kind of attitude is not conducive to teamwork. Also, I do not expect every tank to remember and know every timer on every camp and where every enemy is at all times.

What I was attempting to convey is the importance of the tank to the team, and that (Especially if you're playing a jungle tank like Rammus or Amumu), you have A LOT of responsibility on the team and your team will likely blame you for whatever misfortune comes their way, whether you like it or not... so you should at least make a solid attempt at galvanizing your team early, and often.

Rather, there are a couple of important realities that need to be worked around and adapted to when tanking. For example; keep in mind that many carries will attempt to initiate without their tank, and this often leads to someone feeding. . . You can either initiate behind them, further feeding (often is the case), or you can kindly request that they wait for the tank to initiate. Also, once it is established that you are the initiator, it is important for you to give the team direction by doing things like pinging the map at Dragon, Baron, different target enemies, different spots in the jungle where enemies are coming from or going to, etc.

This kind of rough but succinct communication from a tank allows the team to rally behind someone and gives them direction which is often needed (and one of the most important factors) in solo queue matches. Obviously if you're playing with friends, these rules simply don't apply.

Knowing when and where the team should be and leading your team and choosing focuses for them is what makes a good tank, in my opinion. You may disagree, but if you do, I really don't see how you could justify it.

On another note: It's spelled "non sequitur" and since the literary usage wouldn't make any sense in the context of your post, I am assuming you mean that my logic is somehow "flawed".. But you're misusing the word. It is used to suggest that someones argument is disjointed from the premise, which mine clearly is not. An example of a non sequitur in logic, and in this context, would be if I derailed the thread from a discussion about tanks, into an argument about Riot being horrible at character design. IE - My argument has nothing to do with the premise of the thread... Or my premise has nothing to do with the argument, depending upon how it is presented.

In short - Misusing words which you do not fully understand the meaning of or know how to spell only makes you look foolish. Not trying to insult you here... only a word of wisdom.

biomorph

02-03-2012

Thanks for the spell check, my notebook does not have one (yet) =P
As for the logic part and your claim that I have a lack of understanding thereof; I beg the differ, but allow me to explain since I obviously rushed the initial response.

You suggest that being the tank - which you rightly struggle to define which continuously remains an open question and has done so for a very long time* - implies that you are team leader. It is a non sequitur because the conclusion (you are the team leader) is completely disconnected from the premise (as the tank). The conclusion simply does not follow from the premise which is the very definition of a non sequitur. So yes your logic IS flawed or lacking, but since you state in such absolute terms, whether I am to read it as such or not, does not leave a lot of room for interpretation.

You do contribute some good points but they apply more generally to everyone, but again I do spot some bit narrow defined premises. For instance, premade or not, if you have a ashe on team you can have her perform some wicked initiations any viable tank champion can only dream of. That is because she is ashe, you do not want a Vayne to perform the same tricks as she does not have the skill set to do it. What about annie? A classic well planted flash -> tibbers has time and again shown to deliver a devastating opening attack leading to a dream scenario initiation. What tank can top that? But again it depends from scenario to scenario.

*The first thread I remember participating in was when Shen was realeased march 24th, 2010, since there was then two tanks with the ability to taunt. That lead to people getting the impression that Shen and Rammus were the only "real" tanks in LoL. As it keeps coming up, the picture is far from that black and white.