Tanks. (yes tanks)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

victor07450

02-02-2012

Hey guys, I have been playing various tanks for a while now and I was wondering if there were any advanced strategies I am missing out on. I mostly play jungle Amumu and Lane support Sejuani. I am about to hit lvl 30 and I want tips on how to transition to the tanking area for ranked players. Are there any strategies that ranked players use that pre-level 30 people don't? Thanks so much.

BTW: My in game username is victor07450 for any amazing tankers that want to help me. Thanks guys!

FaerellG

02-02-2012

Well, go through what occurs in your mind when you're tanking. What happens when a team fight occurs? A gank?

When do you decide when to initiate?

Also, posting some replays would help.

Wardport

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

For ad heavy opponents use alistar/rammus for spell heavy opponents use galio.. his mag resist converts into ap. Plus the support power of ali and galio are hard to beat. Although rammus's gank ability is what makes him appealing.

Amoc

02-02-2012

There are lots of good tank options for lots of different situations. Maokai is a beautiful jungle tank. His ganks are godly, he has awesome disruption, and his ulti can win teamfights.

Anyways, the main thing to remember as a tank I think is just to realize that your job is to make sure your team wins team fights. You're not going to get a lot of kills (especially not later in the game) and you're likely to die a lot.

In lower levels that's the thing that a lot of people don't understand. You see so many tanks out there who start running AWAY in the middle of a teamfight when their health starts to get low, which is just total facepalm. Your 25% health is probably a lot harder to get through than your squishy carry's 70% health, and if you run away and stop disrupting then he's as good as dead and you've likely lost the teamfight.

It's not like you never want to run away. If the teamfight is already lost, for example, and you can't save anyone, you might as well. Also, if you know you can get away really easily (like a good flash) and your team isn't going to blow up immediately, then it might be okay as well. Whatever you do though, please don't run away when the outcome of the fight hangs in the balance and you could be saving your team's lives.

victor07450

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Well, go through what occurs in your mind when you're tanking. What happens when a team fight occurs? A gank?

When do you decide when to initiate?
Basically I'm trying to absorb as much damage as I can so my teammates don't have to. When a team fight happens, I'm up front watching for out of place players and keeping everyone on their toes. On a gank (mostly play jungle as Amumu) I run up to a hidden bush, and when they get a little out of place I ping, run in, stun bandage, tantrum, ult if needed, and if we get to turret, I'm taking those turret hits. I initiate when either the enemy AD carry, AP mage, or un-fed tanky DPS gets out of position. I Bandage in, ult, despair, tantrum repeatedly. Basically I'm trying to get around 2-5 kills, 0-4 deaths, and around 10-15 assists. I'm not the damage. I'm the opener for the damage.

biomorph

02-02-2012

The reason tanking is a bad term in LoL is that it implies generally the one who is supposed to soak the damage. This is primarily attained (in PvE games) through aggro management.
LoL is a PvP game which mean that your opponents will ht who ever they want to. The trick with tanking is positioning and build your champion such that they can not burn you down asap but they can not afford to ignore you either for too long at least.

So how to tank is a bit of a nonsensical question since you can't really but there are some general rules, from the top of my head:
#1 Be the first into the fray and try to make enemies blow some cool downs on you.
#2 Depending on line up, choose to be in their carries face disrupting their damage output or protect your own.
#3 Try to position your self to block any skills shot, Ashe arrow, Cait Ult, Ezreal Q etc.
#4 Never chase targets and leave your team behind to fend enemy bruisers.
#5 Try to soak turret aggro if you can.
#6 Stuff ...

I use "try" very deliberately because the outcome is not always up to you, you do what you can and then your team must do the rest and even so you can still simply be outplayed even that you did the right thing your self. That is very important to keep in mind.

It always depends on your own teams lineup as well as enemy team lineup there is no one-and-only strategy for tanking other than to be durable and pose a threat at the same time, if you do not have both those features covered then your value is negligible.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

I've heard that in ranked games counter-jungling happens a lot, so that's something to consider when forming a strategy. I don't know about posting replays, but there is a wealth of League videos out there, I'm certain you could learn some of the details through examining ranked players who have gone before you. May the force be with you :]

*ah I thought of something else. In high-level play if you tank a lot without dealing enough damage some high-level players will just ignore you. It's easy to go overboard and be so tanky that you can't deal enough damage or can't catch your targets, and that can get disheartening fast. Hope that helps.

Whoops, biomorph just said that.

FaerellG

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor07450 View Post
Basically I'm trying to absorb as much damage as I can so my teammates don't have to. When a team fight happens, I'm up front watching for out of place players and keeping everyone on their toes. On a gank (mostly play jungle as Amumu) I run up to a hidden bush, and when they get a little out of place I ping, run in, stun bandage, tantrum, ult if needed, and if we get to turret, I'm taking those turret hits. I initiate when either the enemy AD carry, AP mage, or un-fed tanky DPS gets out of position. I Bandage in, ult, despair, tantrum repeatedly. Basically I'm trying to get around 2-5 kills, 0-4 deaths, and around 10-15 assists. I'm not the damage. I'm the opener for the damage.
I think Biomorph covered most of what I have to say. But as far as tips go, as a tank you need to be knowledgeable about your team is capable of and their status. You can't initiate when your team is low on health in general, but you can if your team has sufficient burst damage to kill a target before they escape your CC.

It's also important to keep track of major cooldowns on abilities (allied and opponents).

Something else to consider is how strong your team's poking capabilities are. Some teams are stronger at being able to dishout long ranged damage to soften up the enemy before hand. Those teams tend to like to delay their initiation as they can continually harass and poke until the team fight is a guaranteed win.

One final note is something about terminology. Tanks have to really work hard to soak damage in LoL. There are 2 major archetypes of tanks. All tanks focus on utilizing Disruption to foil enemy plans.

However, some tanks are better initiators...causing disruption and either putting the enemy in a bad position or freezing them in a bad position.

Some tanks are better "peelers", meaning they're better at peeling off attackers targeting their carries.

For example:
Amumu is an initiator, hands down, but he has some peeling capability too.
His bandage toss and ulti are made for initiation. It gets him into the enemy and locks them down.

Shen is a Peeler. His dash can be used for initiation but the duration is short. It's much better for interrupting an opponent's actions. Additionally, his ultimate allows him to shield and re-position himself into a peeling position (right next to his ally).

Knowing what sort of tank your opposing team has should also change how you play. A peeler will often wait for the other team to engage, while initiators want to be the ones to engage.

Amoc

02-02-2012

Peelers are generally harder to play I find. It's a lot more reactive and they have to do their stuff AFTER **** hits the fan and things go chaotic, whereas an initiator gets to actually commence with the chaos. Much more fun IMO

Etherimp

02-03-2012

We could go on for days about all of the cliche' "How to tank" tactics, but I find there's a much more important aspect of tanking which was touched on in this thread but I think a lot of people fail to recognize:

As the tank, you are the team leader. There may be carries which THINK they are the team leader because they are fed... But as the tank, YOU are in control of team fights. You decide when to initiate and when to run. If you initiate, your team better be behind you... or you die uselessly. If you run, you better be running for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. You are baiting/kiting the enemy team.. In other words, they see you low and are committed to killing you, so you lead them into the "Trap" of a potential kill, whilst your team wipes them out. Most players in League are at least smart enough that they won't intentionally run their character into your team... and most players know at least enough to try to avoid all of your basic abilities... So mind-games come into play. This is one of them. Look weak, and they will get greedy and be easily foiled.

2. Your team begins to disengage due to health/deaths/losing battle, so you need to peel anyone off of them while they exit to safety.

You should be keeping track of your jungle, and the enemy jungle, in terms of respawn times. This is so you can raid their jungle and/or steal their buffs...

You should be keeping track of how many enemies are showing on screen at all times. This helps you formulate strategies and know where to attack/defend/gank/counter-gank.

You should be keeping track of respawn times of dragon/baron, and understand your relative strength compared to the other team so you know when to force fights and when to let them have dragon/baron.

Assuming both teams are relatively equal strength - If you're outnumbered, you avoid fighting.. If you outnumber them, you force a fight.. Pretty simple.. but becomes more complex when you consider individual dynamics into it, such as... "It's 4v5, but their Tryndamere is super fed, and he's alive and with them."

Basically, you are the leader of your team. Getting your team to recognize this requires that you play with confidence and intelligence and that you prove yourself to them in the first 10-20 minutes of the game. You can do this by communicating, providing wisdom, and pulling off/assisting in successful ganks.