Galio Help?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quantum Paradigm

02-02-2012

I need a build for Galio mid and top. I'm not sure if I should get chalice because people say it is useless late game. Can someone help me?

Amoc

02-02-2012

Galio is one of my favourites and one of my mains.

I'd say definetly get Challice first. I don't see why you wouldn't. It gives you MR, which especially helps you at mid, as well as extra AP (passive) and then gives you all the mana regen you'll ever need. You can now spam your Q+W combo on whoever you're laning against, get huge farm, and build more quickly into your next items. Sure it's not an ideal late-game item, but who cares? It's so good to start that it's worth having and selling when you need that last item slot.

My usual starting Galio build is:

1. Challice
2. Merc Treads (duh)
3. Legion Shield (It's cheap and gives you nice stats +HP)
4. Frozen Heart (or Randuin's Omen)

After that it's kind of up in the air, but I like some combination of:

Banshee's Veil
Thornmail
Abyssal Sceptor
Warmog's

for the last two items a lot of the time.

If the other team has a lot of AD and not much CC, Warmog's + Thornmail with ~250 armor is just LoL. If they have a good stun or something vs you, Banshee's + Thornmail will do the trick.

If the other team is very heavy in AP, Banshee's Veil + Abyssal Sceptor can make you just impossible to deal with.

I love love love Galio.

Quantum Paradigm

02-02-2012

Thank you!

WyZeII

02-02-2012

With galio, you have to be careful, he is a beautiful champ that you can't easily play. I play galio with 42 MR runes ofcourse, because of his passive. Dont forget the MR in the Masteries as well. my first items i get, usually is the MR for his boots, health and mana pot. should get you by, you start off with amazing MR and ability power. Be conservative on your abilities and you'll do fine. build your boots and afterwards build an aegis of the legion, after that i suggest gurdian angel. i like to buy a banshee's or a force of nature after, but it depends on their team comp. i definitely dont suggest getting warmogs.

DoctorGentleman

02-02-2012

Just don't make the classic mistake of bringing Galio against an AD-heavy team. If you are forced to not build MR, Galio isn't nearly as useful as, say, Cho'Gath.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

I don't understand the "chalice is useless lategame" that people say.

Its cheap and gives 450g worth of magic resistance. It also dramatically fixes mana situations for several champs.

It is only "useless" if that champ naturally gets other mana or mana/regen items, or gains a big enough mana pool to not need regen, or just doesn't spam that much after laning.

Does Galio fit those categories? Noooo. Galio spams like crazy due to his good Pokes. Galio doesn't usually get any other mana regen source. Galio DOES get more mana but he goes through it pretty fast.

So no...Chalice is a fine item on Galio and stays that way all the way through endgame.

Amoc

02-03-2012

I really like Chalice. It's a cheap item that turns Galio into a farming beast and makes him almost impossible to push off a lane. Maybe if you're playing as a support on the bottom or something then you wouldn't need it, because you'd be letting your AD carry farm instead, but I think Galio is wasted as a bottom lane support.

Anyways, the money spent on chalice is an investment which will net you more farm and help make your enemy's laning phase lousy. Why be conservative with Galio's abilities if you don't have to? With Chalice you've pretty much ensured that you have enough mana to nuke your lane opponent for heavy damage every time he comes in range AND often score creep kills as collateral damage, which makes you richer down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJacal View Post
Be conservative on your abilities and you'll do fine. build your boots and afterwards build an aegis of the legion, after that i suggest gurdian angel. i like to buy a banshee's or a force of nature after, but it depends on their team comp. i definitely dont suggest getting warmogs.
I really can't agree with most of this. Galio needs to be played as a tank. If you're building him with nothing but MR, you're just going to get ignored by the enemy AP and then killed by the enemy AD and your dps is never going to be that strong anyways. If the enemy has a balanced team, you really want to have a balanced tank.

I think that Galio's main advantage over a lot of other tanks is that he has a very strong laning phase against enemy AP because his abilities have good early damage which benefits from building early tank items, which also make him more resistant to counter attacks. After the early -> mid game, Galio's dps starts to suck hard, but because he had such a nice early start he'll be further along on farm and it's quite likely he'll have shut mid down and forced a lane swap to something non-ideal for the enemy AP.

By late game, his main tanking ability benefits most I think from facing enemy AD. If you have banshee's veil, some armor and thornmail, you can make the enemy AD shred themselves.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2012

Usually you won't get to item 5 or 6 that requires you to sell chalice anyway. So I'd go for it, the stats are just too good on Galio.