Blind Pick vs Draft Pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isysar

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I just lost due to three completely clueless players who though GP, Akali and Trynd were good picks, zerged windmill the entire game, blamed me for losing because I was ganking bot, etc.

Turns out they accidentally picked Draft instead of Blind Pick. Oh, this happens fairly often too.

Every time I've queued for Blind by mistake it's been a complete joke. Always the same, 4 man windmill with no attention to the rest of the map, complete chaos if anything else happens because Blind Pick players just don't know how to react to anything but the same worn out meta that died months ago in Draft.

I'll stick to Draft, thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention my favorite line from every Blind Pick bad: "if we don't get top we lose". You know it's a loss the moment someone says that, amirite?
I second the guy above me; what do you think the current meta should be?

Mad Suppordle

02-02-2012

Current meta react to enemy movements/opportunities that present themselves instead of zerging top 24/7?

If top has 4 full hp defenders that aren't piss poor players, it might just be beneficial to cap their mid or bot, if nothing else drawing them off the point for a fight, instead of hard zerging a well defended turret.

Xanthic

02-02-2012

Quote:
I just lost due to three completely clueless players who though GP, Akali and Trynd were good picks, zerged windmill the entire game, blamed me for losing because I was ganking bot, etc.

Turns out they accidentally picked Draft instead of Blind Pick. Oh, this happens fairly often too.

Every time I've queued for Blind by mistake it's been a complete joke. Always the same, 4 man windmill with no attention to the rest of the map, complete chaos if anything else happens because Blind Pick players just don't know how to react to anything but the same worn out meta that died months ago in Draft.

I'll stick to Draft, thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention my favorite line from every Blind Pick bad: "if we don't get top we lose". You know it's a loss the moment someone says that, amirite?
I'd say it's fairly harsh to judge a game mode based of a few games played in it. I've had plenty of matches where I've had "clueless" team mates in draft as well as in blind pick. But considering you usually premade in a 5 man team, I guess I do somewhat understand your frustration over not having a fully synced coordinated team when you solo queue. Getting a different experience than you're used to.

Anyways, thanks for the input!

Makestro

02-02-2012

I play blind just because the queues are almost instant. Also allows me to play what champion I want and play them against champions that are considered "op" by most of the community.

FDru

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimike View Post
Current meta react to enemy movements/opportunities that present themselves instead of zerging top 24/7?

If top has 4 full hp defenders that aren't piss poor players, it might just be beneficial to cap their mid or bot, if nothing else drawing them off the point for a fight, instead of hard zerging a well defended turret.
Well said. There is nothing good at all about sticking together and pushing as a team, especially if that's all you do for the entire game. It's especially bad if you do it in plain sight, and even worse if the enemy has a tank like Maokai or Blitz sitting on the turret, who can easily wipe you if you dive them or clear out the minion wave you just pushed in 2 seconds.

The great thing about Draft is that there is no "meta". Players adapt and change up their strategies constantly. Even the 4 top / 1 bot start is not a given.

02-02-2012

I have over 1k games in dominion and I've always preferred blind pick over draft for many of the reasons you mentioned. I found in draft mode vs blind mode, the "most desired or op champs" are completely different from one another and each set of player base has in mind with what comps make the best dominion match.

I love to just hit lock in and take a random champ and play blind mode. If I try to do this in draft people ***** and que dodge over and over. People in draft just try to pick the most op bull**** champs if they're not banned and I hate that mindset. I like to play all champs and get a feel for them so I know how to play against them and that's frowned upon in draft. I have over 65 champs unlocked and have randomed my way to 1700 elo so I guess I'm not that bad.

Mad Suppordle

02-02-2012

On the topic, I play both blind pick and draft. I find draft players generally have a better sense for putting together a strong team comp, and are much more comfortable with roaming/striking as a team tactics. Blind pick has many strong players, but I see people in blind make poor decisions much more frequently in regards to comp and play. Trying to cap the enemy mid after few kills without looking at respawn timers is a huge repeat offender. I've lost a lot of BP games to players going for a 4 cap with 20 points left on the enemy nexus instead of waiting out the last 20s defending the 3 points we control. On the plus side, blind queus are much lower and I can try my builds against other builds and tactics I wouldn't likely see in draft.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

Quote:
FDru raises a good point here that i would like to add to. Too many players strictly adhere to the "meta" of 4 top 1 bot. This is so ingrained into people that i often do not see my teammates until the end of the game, or if I have lost bot myself. They will continue to press for windmill, no matter how many defenses it has. As someone who plays bot champions a lot, this is incredibly frustrating. No one has a sense of adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoheadxx View Post
What do you think the current met should be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isysar View Post
I second the guy above me; what do you think the current meta should be?
These 2 posts here are prime examples. Why are you blindly following a "meta"? FDru could be God himself, hand you the best "meta" on a silver platter, but you should still question it. Learn to think for yourselves.

Ultimately, when you lose a fight or point, think about what you as a player could do differently and try it. Sure it might fail, but it could also work gloriously.

To address the original post, I play draft because I am tired of seeing rammus and kassadin in every game. It also allows me to avoid picking a champ that is easily shut down by the enemy teams current picks, i.e. I don't pick Katarina if they have easy to land CC or Ashe if they have 3+ assassins.

Rebel Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

To address the OP, I've had some of the same thoughts. I've stuck with playing Blind Pick because I figure I will learn to play with/against a wider variety of team compositions. +1

Jazzdog100

06-27-2012

Just started playing draft, after playing blind for quite awhile. Although my opinion may seem quite naive, as i've just started playing, I found the experience much more serious. Both teams took the game way more seriously than the blind pick. Also, the blind is often full of players who have no idea whats happening and are much less coordinated teamwise.