Blind Pick vs Draft Pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xanthic

02-02-2012

As everyone else, I started with Blind pick, not by choice, but since it was the only mode out there at the time. Once Draft pick was released, I swiftly changed. As alot of people around, I was always under the impression that Draft pick was the superior mode. Based of reasons such as it being the mode closest abiding by the rules of real ranked.

I am still a Draft player by heart and always will. With a game amount of matches played at around 70-80% being draft matches only. When I got to around 2050 Elo in Draft, I decided to switch to Blind pick for a while. Mainly to evolve as a player and to try a different approach to Dominion. When I first switched to Blind pick, I was overwhelmed. The quality of matches were much higher than it was in Draft mode. Not to mention that players were overall better as well. I started to see so many different odd builds that actually worked and different tactics. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I wanted to try it all. Slowly, I started losing and losing due to not being used to this quality of matches.

Now with over 120 Blind pick matches, I feel like I've reached a whole new level (Insert DBZ puns here) and have advanced as a player greatly in the little time I've spent there, than I ever have in Draft mode.
Although, this was mostly a backstory, an introduction, the whole purpose of this thread was to inform you about the differences between the two game modes, which I will do shortly. As I feel we have a split community between the Elitist Draft mode players and the Blind pick players. Well, I've been in both, so let's begin and apologies for the long introduction text.

We'll start with Draft Pick.
Pros:
- It's the only mode of the two that goes by the basics of real Ranked. Meaning, you have your bans and counter picks.
- Most of the top players that interact with the community, are Draft pick players only.
- You can ban champs you consider OP

Cons
- Due to its small playerbase. Once you reach a certain level, your queue times get huge.
- Higher Elo is ruled by a few premaded teams. Due to the small playerbase Draft mode suffers, you will often get paired vs premaded teams of 4 or 5 later on while you will get a variety of different ranges in your team's Elo in an effort from Matchmaking to find you a match within a week. This means you will get alot of those matches where you have no chance whatsoever of winning and you just wasted over an hour.
Naturally, sometimes you're lucky and Matchmaking will actually match you with people of similar Elo and you might have an even match. But chances of that are around 5%.

Alot of players find this to be "good training", I don't. It's like putting up a kid vs Mike Tyson (In his former glory form) in a serious match and calling it "good experience". Sure you might pick up a little trick here or there if you're lucky. But in the end, it's just a waste of time.

- Small playerbase means you'll often get matched with / and against people of different Elo. For example, you might be 1800 and the lowest in your team might be 1400. Making the match very one sided if your highest Elo player is good, going like 25-4 and carrying the whole match around.

- Uneven matches where scores end up high in one team's favor are very likely.

- Due to bans, players are very inexperienced vs "OP" champs which leads to teams that do get one, receiving a huge advantage since they don't know how to properly counter them.

Over to Blind Pick
Pros:
- Much larger playerbase, which equals to much smaller waiting times for matchmaking to find you a match.

- Due to a larger playerbase, matchmaking will actually find you team mates with similar skill level to yours (aka Elo) and matches will be much more enjoyable as they will be closer. Naturally there are matches where one team dominates the other, but that happens in all game modes and they are much more rare here than in Draft.

- There is a high rate for encountering a champ that is considered "OP" in either team in most of your matches. Why is this under Pros? Because cause of this, the players in this mode, have evolved to a whole different level of skill. While in Draft mode an OP champ can be game deciding, in Blind pick, they simply don't care. They're so used to playing vs these champs all the time, that they have developed natural counter tactics against them. Naturally not all are strong enough to survive the cold in this new climate and decide to move to Draft instead. But the mentally strong that do decide to stay and endure it, will end up being a much stronger player.

- When I managed to get Yorick for myself in Draft, that meant 95% of the time a free bot for me unless I played vs a Skarner or a Mao. Naturally premades knew how to counter me more effectively, but I was still able to play for one person and a half whenever I got this guy there. Being as confident as I was with Yorick bot, I was mind blown over how different players handled me there in Blind pick. I've encountered some very odd builds that I've underestimated and they managed to stalemate me with. Or if I'm actually winning the lane, they coordinated properly to put a stop to me with their team without sacrificing top, something that I usually just encountered vs Premaded teams or vs more of the better players in Draft.
The different quality of game Blind pick offered me, was astounding.

Cons:
- Follows nothing from Ranked play. Meaning, no bans, no counter picks and you can't see what the other team picks.
- Getting matched vs "OP" champs, might be unappealing to some and deliver a not so fun game experience.
- From what I've experienced around the forums, Blind pick players are being taken less serious than Draft. But that's usually due to ignorance. But it exists.

There we go, I'm sure I left out some of the points as I might have forgotten over time while I was writing this and apologies for the long read. Hopefully you'll find it enjoyable to read as much as I enjoyed writing it and experiencing both game modes.
Also, regardless of how this may be an opinion leaned towards one end, I'm still a Draft player, always will. But this experience has given lots of new respect towards Blind pick players from my end.

Inputs and whatnots are more than welcome as this is merely my opinion based on the two modes.

Stimuz

02-02-2012

I had a pretty different experience than you I guess. I used to goto blind to try free week champs, troll builds ect.(bots now) and A LOT of people I've seen did the same thing too. The biggest problem with blind is that "tryharding" DOES exist in that mode and if you pick a "fun champ" blindly queueing into rammus wukong kassadin urgot yorick ectect you just won't have a good time. I prefer champs I have fun with, and I like to know what I'm getting into picking something like that instead of just facepalming once the load screen hits me.

Oh, autolocking I found to be less of an issue in draft as well. I love watching 3 people auto lock low damage champs then the last pick locks alistar.

Played 400~ or so games blind pick btw, until I realized draft queue was under 5m when I usually play. Most of the games were soraka/janna cause I didn't wanna risk anything else for the reasons I mentioned.

lbgsloan

02-02-2012

Quote:
The biggest problem with blind is that "tryharding" DOES exist in that mode and if you pick a "fun champ" blindly queueing into rammus wukong kassadin urgot yorick ectect you just won't have a good time.
This is my main problem with blind pick as well. I'm cool with picking trollteams once in a while and screwing around, but it's waste of everyone's time if you run into team tryhard while doing this. With draft you can at least see if a game is going to be a complete stomp or not on the selection screen and bail if needed. Thankfully bot mode now exists when I just feel like randoming and screwing around, so I don't see any point to blind pick at all anymore. If I want to play seriously, draft. If not, bots.

Argodis

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthic View Post
- There is a high rate for encountering a champ that is considered "OP" in either team in most of your matches. Why is this under Pros? Because cause of this, the players in this mode, have evolved to a whole different level of skill. While in Draft mode an OP champ can be game deciding, in Blind pick, they simply don't care. They're so used to playing vs these champs all the time, that they have developed natural counter tactics against them. Naturally not all are strong enough to survive the cold in this new climate and decide to move to Draft instead. But the mentally strong that do decide to stay and endure it, will end up being a much stronger player.

- When I managed to get Yorick for myself in Draft, that meant 95% of the time a free bot for me unless I played vs a Skarner or a Mao. Naturally premades knew how to counter me more effectively, but I was still able to play for one person and a half whenever I got this guy there. Being as confident as I was with Yorick bot, I was mind blown over how different players handled me there in Blind pick. I've encountered some very odd builds that I've underestimated and they managed to stalemate me with. Or if I'm actually winning the lane, they coordinated properly to put a stop to me with their team without sacrificing top, something that I usually just encountered vs Premaded teams or vs more of the better players in Draft.
The different quality of game Blind pick offered me, was astounding.
Same for me. I found that people in blind pick handle the "OP" champs a lot better than draft players. People in draft will be crying and saying GG at champ select if you let the enemy get an OP champ.

Overall, it just felt like blind pick players are better individual players than most draft players. However, blind pick players fall apart as soon as the game requires any type of real thought or teamwork to win unlike draft players.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I see more "OP" champs in draft than blind. If someone like Shaco or Kassadin isn't banned, it's a high chance that they'll be picked.

IlIlIIIlllIIIIll

02-02-2012

Blind pick con: every other game has an afk player.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

tldr: one mode is as competitive as it'll be before ranked, the other one isnt.

Isysar

02-02-2012

Interesting thread.

I'm . . . I'm not sure where I fall this. Interesting thoughts. I'll have to play more of both modes to get a better feel.

You brought up some really good points. I felt like the tiger in this picture (but not sarcastic)

http://www.tasteofawesome.com/view/Yes+Please%2C/98393

It really was eye opening. I should give more credit to blind pick.

FDru

02-02-2012

I just lost due to three completely clueless players who though GP, Akali and Trynd were good picks, zerged windmill the entire game, blamed me for losing because I was ganking bot, etc.

Turns out they accidentally picked Draft instead of Blind Pick. Oh, this happens fairly often too.

Every time I've queued for Blind by mistake it's been a complete joke. Always the same, 4 man windmill with no attention to the rest of the map, complete chaos if anything else happens because Blind Pick players just don't know how to react to anything but the same worn out meta that died months ago in Draft.

I'll stick to Draft, thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention my favorite line from every Blind Pick bad: "if we don't get top we lose". You know it's a loss the moment someone says that, amirite?

Albert Dakkar

02-02-2012

I have had a similar experience as the OP. I started doing draft the moment it was turned on and found that the quality of games suffered quite a bit. I got the impression that a lot of the people that played it just wanted to ban the "op" champions and then do whatever they felt like. And the queue times can get pretty ridiculous. There are also just as many dodges in draft as in blind pick in my experience. Overall, all the time it takes just to get into the game isn't worth not having to face Rammus every game. But that's just me.

IlIlIIIlllIIIIll

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I just lost due to three completely clueless players who though GP, Akali and Trynd were good picks, zerged windmill the entire game, blamed me for losing because I was ganking bot, etc.

Turns out they accidentally picked Draft instead of Blind Pick. Oh, this happens fairly often too.

Every time I've queued for Blind by mistake it's been a complete joke. Always the same, 4 man windmill with no attention to the rest of the map, complete chaos if anything else happens because Blind Pick players just don't know how to react to anything but the same worn out meta that died months ago in Draft.

I'll stick to Draft, thanks.

edit: I forgot to mention my favorite line from every Blind Pick bad: "if we don't get top we lose". You know it's a loss the moment someone says that, amirite?
What do you think the current met should be?