Why no "Stories of Revelry" Contest?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McTaco

02-01-2012

Dear Riot,

I, like many of the very talented people who frequent the forums here am not an artist. That is to say I can paint and create abstractly, but characters and people elude my skills. What I can do is write. I think that the League community would benefit from a contest for the authors out there who would have liked to participate in the Art of Revelry contest, but lack the necessary skills. There's been a few contests where artists are awarded, but I'd like see Riot host something for the rest of us.

To that end I propose the "Words of War" contest. Stories would have to be limited to maybe 15/20 pages and obviously be original works. Sure you can look at a painting and know if you like it or not, it's a fast process. A fan fiction contest would take more time for judges to look at, so maybe limiting the number of applicants could be a suggestion.

Works would have to focus around League and the characters and events therein. We obviously have very talented writers as this section of the forum proves. Let's show the artists that while they can create stunning visuals, it is truly the theatre of the mind where the best creations occur.

Riot, feel free to comment. I think if enough time goes by I'll just run something myself and rely upon myself and my local group of LoL players to act as judges. Hopefully we can start something pretty cool here.

Sincerely,

John "McTaco" French.

ReaverKing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

Dear Mr. Taco

As one amateur writer and League of Legends fan to another I feel it is my duty to inform you that Riot really doesn't care all that much about fan fiction right now.

Summoner Showcase only showcases art and videos because its very hard to show off a short story when all you can say is "go read it" wheras you can actually put up the picture or video and then talk about it. Plus, since many of the staff at Riot are artists, they are also likely more interested in fan art than fan fiction in general.

I believe it is unlikely Riot will sponsor any "fanfic project" because SS is in place to promote LoL through incouraging fan-generated advertising on social media sites like Youtube, Flickr, Facebook, and lest we forget the grandaddy of art sites deviantArt. Simple text just doesn't have the advertising punch multimedia has and as a result is sort of the retarded little brother of fan creations.

That said, if Fan Fiction were to get its act together and start its own project, a novelette of 25 quality short stories about League of Legends that share a common theme might make for a good free downloadable .pdf or maybe sprout into something like "Machine of Death".

http://machineofdeath.net/

Please have a look at my "Why we Summon" thread or better yet, start your own [Challenge] thread because there are a number of simply great writers who have written stories in this forum but unless they get organized in some way they'll never individually merit what they could add up to together.

McTaco

02-02-2012

If I have to run the contest myself, so be it. Stick around for more details, I'd like to get something off the ground soon. I'll have to look at my schedule for how much time I can devote to this project, but I'd like to see something happen.

Summoners, if you're thinking about starting a new piece of fan fiction or you have one in the works hold on to it for a little bit and I'll keep you posted.

Kalafai

02-20-2012

Having participated in judging a story contest... well, you don't want to pose those to large communities. A bad picture you can just flick through. A bad story you have to sit there and stare at for at least 5 minutes if they at least got something resembling grammar to know how much your eyes are really being raped. It's a lot more work, really.

Then again, you'll get a LOT less responses than picture contests.... as the reason I was head bard to judge those stories was that I was the only one who had made an entry the previous contest. Think I sold the whole thing a little better, but I'm assuming riot doesn't want to spend the time individually checking stories.

Paladin of Light

02-20-2012

Kudos to you McTaco, I agree. I am writing my own fiction right now with a new character in it that I personally made. I don't see why they don't have a contest for writers. I cannot draw well, if my life depended on it I would probably be dead. So I concur, they should try this contest - because it seems like it would get more sponsorship. Also - to Kalafai, it would just take a little longer to judge the stories rather than the photos, I don't see the point in not doing this.