Masochistic Rammus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FDru

02-01-2012

Thornmail, as always, is a bad choice if you aren't specifically countering AD carries.

Best general Rammus build is Sunfire, Abyssal, Aegis, Frozen Heart (there's no better CDR item for him) then supplemental items. You could even go glacial + thornmail if you do have to fight AD carries. Also, rune for spell pen because no matter what your build magic is always going to be most of your damage.

P.S. LOL blind pick.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
Is it? I sort of think speed and a high amount of MR (vs MR teams) on top of a lot of regen is helpful. Sure you can go around picking up health shrines but everyone on the board is doing that so you could just leave those for your (likely more injured) DPSers.

OP: I should point out that there is a noteable lack of health in this build.
That is true, most of the resistances are there to try to compensate for that. Giants belt is the only true health item I get for Rammus unless the game last long enough for me to finish FoN and then some. I try to compensate the lack of health as well using Tank masteries and hopefully runes soon as well.

Usually it isn't a problem, but if I notice that I'm dying more often than I should, I consider getting another health item depending on who I'm against.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Thornmail, as always, is a bad choice if you aren't specifically countering AD carries.

Best general Rammus build is Sunfire, Abyssal, Aegis, Frozen Heart (there's no better CDR item for him) then supplemental items. You could even go glacial + thornmail if you do have to fight AD carries. Also, rune for spell pen because no matter what your build magic is always going to be most of your damage.

P.S. LOL blind pick.
So what you're telling me is this: Don't get the item that synergies the best with Rammus, instead focus on making his ult which is unreliable at best along with his other utility based skills as powerful as possible (which isn't very, as I've tested it and have SMASHED Rammus players who do this).

On top of that, you want me to build CDR so I can make a joke of how bad these abilities are, and at best partially stall the killing of my teammates.

The rune advice is pretty decent I suppose but this just doesn't work. Well, maybe it does but I have not been able to ever make this work. It's like a troll build to me.

On the bright side, this is pretty fun to do with spellvamp (Defensive ball curl actually vamps some of the damage people do to you).

P.S. LOL cookie cutter teams, long queue times, rage-quit teammates, and people who need a handicap because they can't counter things they consider "anti-fun" or should I say... OP.

Ascleph

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKelley View Post
Is it? I sort of think speed and a high amount of MR (vs MR teams) on top of a lot of regen is helpful. Sure you can go around picking up health shrines but everyone on the board is doing that so you could just leave those for your (likely more injured) DPSers.
The regen is useless and you are paying extra for that. If you want MR and MS, there are better options out there in sepparate items.

Also, rammus player complaining about "cookie cutter" teams and talking about counters while playing blind, loled

Darmival

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
On top of that, you want me to build CDR so I can make a joke of how bad these abilities are, and at best partially stall the killing of my teammates.
CDR Tanky items are in fact, amazing for Rammus.

Since when is being able to Powerball, Taunt, DBC, and ult more a bad thing.

derp

Whi

02-01-2012

Building thornmail first makes u real squish 1200 hp at level 6 ish. Also, I do not think sunfire is cost effective item.I rather get slow active shield.(I forgot the name)

Panwar

02-01-2012

But masochist delight in their own pain and humiliation, not the pain and humiliation of others. That would be a sadist.

SentinelOfPain

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmival View Post
CDR Tanky items are in fact, amazing for Rammus.

Since when is being able to Powerball, Taunt, DBC, and ult more a bad thing.

derp
It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the fact that your abilities are not where most of your damage is coming from makes this a blatant waste of money. FDru's build focuses around magic pen and some MR, focuses on expensive CDR (Frozen heart) and suggest Aegis, which is an aura and most Rammus players will be away from their team a significant amount of time. Most of these items (scepter for example) do not synergize well with Rammus, MR does nothing to help his passive and ap only scales well with his ult, and only if the enemy stands in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascleph View Post
The regen is useless and you are paying extra for that. If you want MR and MS, there are better options out there in sepparate items.

Also, rammus player complaining about "cookie cutter" teams and talking about counters while playing blind, loled
The regen isn't useless, I can still see a very noticeable effect from it on my hp regen and am glad for it. As for me complaining about cookie cutter teams, I will totally ignore the ad hominem logical fallacy you have displayed here for a moment. First off, in draft I see the same teams, the same team comps, and the same strategies every single time. If someone even DARES to have the BALLS to do something different, it "warrants" a queue dodge or a match full of rage at that one person. In addition to this, champs like Kassadin and Yorick are banned, which is just sad. The fact that people can't counter these people astounds me and makes me glad I'm not playing with draft picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whi View Post
Building thornmail first makes u real squish 1200 hp at level 6 ish. Also, I do not think sunfire is cost effective item.I rather get slow active shield.(I forgot the name)
That would be Randuin's Omen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panwar View Post
But masochist delight in their own pain and humiliation, not the pain and humiliation of others. That would be a sadist.
The joke is that he likes pain because the goal is for him to be hit a LOT. If you don't get it, just accept the fact it went over your head and move on.

Panwar

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
The joke is that he likes pain because the goal is for him to be hit a LOT. If you don't get it, just accept the fact it went over your head and move on.
Alright, but if you are going to be snotty about it, then I'll have to point out that Thornmail is a pretty core item on Rammus as it doubles up on his Defensive Ball Curl. Which are the only two things that make him like to be hit a lot. Which means that almost every Rammus is "masochist" Rammus. In fact every tank likes to get hit a lot because that's their job. So all tanks are "masochist" *tank name here*.

Oh, except that they aren't because the whole reason that you build tanky, and are a tank in the first place is because getting hit DOESN'T HURT YOU. And so it's really hard to be a masochist when it's really hard to be hurt.

Which is why "masochist" doesn't make sense.

Taenaryn

02-01-2012

I do my Rammus a bit different. Frozen Heart for CDR, Abyssal for AP and Mres and Mpen, and Boots of Mobility are the only core items, and I also max DBC first... but I max Powerball second. It's one of... what, 2?...non-ult nukes with a 1:1 AP ratio, has a huge hit box, and knocks back as well. Max Taunt is good, don't get me wrong, but I can get almost the same effect with a knockback that also does damage, so I max it last.

Being a tank is about being unignorable. Taunt is a good way to do that. Me, personally, though, I prefer to be so annoying that they can't ignore me. Knockback and constant Tremors, both with high AP ratios and low cooldowns, do that.