Is AP/attack speed warwick a proper build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kjol21

02-01-2012

Hi, I have been playing warwick for the last week and loving him. I am still unsure if the build I am putting on him is a good one or not please let me know if this is correct or I am building him wrong.

-Mercury Treads, Spirit Visage, Wit's End, Nashor's Tooth, Hextech Gunblade

-The final item is either Madred's Bloodrazor or Malady depending on my gold situation.

With this build I end up doing a lot of magic damage and I am just wondering if this is how this champion is suppposed to be played.

Thanks for any help.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

No. Warwick is a Tanky DPS which might seem surprising.

AP only helps his Lifesteal claw and even that quickly becomes obsolete (AP that is) because it does the greater of a percentage of the baddie's life, or a base damage plus AP ratio. By the time they have 2000 health, Q hits for 500 naturally! So AP is only good early game to ensure you lifesteal hard and heal/nuke them. So sure, a dorans ring is a fine start if you are solo top. But dont keep chasing AP due to diminishing returns and lack of any other AP-scaling skill.

On-Hit is tempting due to his Ult hitting 5 times. A wits end adds 210 damage to his ult. Sounds good!

However, WW has a lot of great sustain from his autoattack lifesteal and his Q. So the idea is to keep him alive to be able to make best use of it. If he is tanky, he lives long enough to spam Q a lot in fights and autoattack, dealing decent damage and being very hard to kill.

If you focus mostly on offense, he dies before he can do much since he doesn't have much in the way of burst damage, unlike Wukong, Xin, Renekon, etc.

Another thought is that his only gapcloser is his Ult which is on a long cooldown. Therefore you really don't want a relatively fragile autoattacker that CANT EVEN GET INTO MELEE! You can see that he would be mostly useless a lot of the time.

But by being tanky, he can initiate with his Ult as needed and also be a tough guy to kill.

Hence, Tanky DPS is the way to go. Get a Wits End first, and then focus solely on defense. As a 6th item, maybe do a bloodrazor but not before Warmog, Frozen Mallet, Banshees.

ashtray4joo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

As War was saying WW needs to be able to hang around in the fight, he will never be a burst champ unless you hold a significant level advantage over a person, but then again who can't in that situation. WW's advantage lays in his sustain though his passive and his Q.

WW needs to be built to maximize his Q, in my opinion, therefore you need a Frozen Heart and Spirit Visige without a doubt those two synergize with WW greatly. A wits end is another great item to get on WW, from there it's all situational dependent. You can go for a Bloodrzor if you want, but only if the other team is really tanky IE: Yorick, Chogath, Monkeyboy ect. I only get BR if there are 2 or more really tanky guys, otherwise your Q alone will suffice.

Final thoughts, WW is best built tanky, while trying to get to the max of 40% CDR.

Skye Mirror

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
No. Warwick is a Tanky DPS which might seem surprising.

AP only helps his Lifesteal claw and even that quickly becomes obsolete (AP that is) because it does the greater of a percentage of the baddie's life, or a base damage plus AP ratio. By the time they have 2000 health, Q hits for 500 naturally! So AP is only good early game to ensure you lifesteal hard and heal/nuke them. So sure, a dorans ring is a fine start if you are solo top. But dont keep chasing AP due to diminishing returns and lack of any other AP-scaling skill.

On-Hit is tempting due to his Ult hitting 5 times. A wits end adds 210 damage to his ult. Sounds good!

However, WW has a lot of great sustain from his autoattack lifesteal and his Q. So the idea is to keep him alive to be able to make best use of it. If he is tanky, he lives long enough to spam Q a lot in fights and autoattack, dealing decent damage and being very hard to kill.

If you focus mostly on offense, he dies before he can do much since he doesn't have much in the way of burst damage, unlike Wukong, Xin, Renekon, etc.

Another thought is that his only gapcloser is his Ult which is on a long cooldown. Therefore you really don't want a relatively fragile autoattacker that CANT EVEN GET INTO MELEE! You can see that he would be mostly useless a lot of the time.

But by being tanky, he can initiate with his Ult as needed and also be a tough guy to kill.

Hence, Tanky DPS is the way to go. Get a Wits End first, and then focus solely on defense. As a 6th item, maybe do a bloodrazor but not before Warmog, Frozen Mallet, Banshees.
+1 to most of this, but IMO ionic spark is a bit better than wit's end. Doesn't give as much to the ult, but makes him a beast in team fights.

XWesleyX

02-01-2012

Tanky DPS is the best build plan for ww, next it AP.

AP WW is fun to play but is bad for team comp bc he cant team fight well. In a team fight he will get one Q off and probably only half an ulti. The ap build for him feels akward dew to a almost waisted attack sped ability and passive life gain. The build for ap ww is as follows. D-Ring, soccers shoes, deathfires grasp, morrellows tome ralyi's septer, deathcap. AP WW is great at kiting and nuking.

Krazikarl

02-01-2012

You take AS on your runes if you jungle, but other than that its not a huge priority.

Wriggles and Treads are the standard starting items. If I'm going this route, HoG, then SV is a good choice (then complete Randuins), and you can mix in Wit's End somewhere. GA is a decent item on WW eventually.

You can also slowly build up MBR as you build your tank items if they have a lot of tanky champs.

Boomstick II

02-01-2012

Frozen Heart
Frozen Mallet
Wit's End
Ionic Spark
Merc Treads
Spirit Visage

Need that Frozen Mallet to stick to targets and make use of your ridiculous AS which builds up your passive health regain and allows you to Q more and etc etc

SuperSlothBear

02-01-2012

*MY BUILD*

Merc's Treads
Ionic Spark
Wit's End
Guardian Angel
Force of Nature
Madred's Bloodrazor

Dem on-hit effects.

kjol21

02-02-2012

Thanks for all the help. I am now building Warwick like this:

Mercury Treads, Spirit Visage, Frozen Heart, Frozen Mallet, Ionic Spark

last 1 is situational:

vs AD heavy: Thornmail
vs AP heavy: Banshees Veil
vs Tanky team: Madred's Bloodrazor
vs Balanced team: The Black Cleaver

i would love peoples thoughts on these builds thanks.

Boomstick II

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjol21 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I am now building Warwick like this:

Mercury Treads, Spirit Visage, Frozen Heart, Frozen Mallet, Ionic Spark

last 1 is situational:

vs AD heavy: Thornmail
vs AP heavy: Banshees Veil
vs Tanky team: Madred's Bloodrazor
vs Balanced team: The Black Cleaver

i would love peoples thoughts on these builds thanks.
You picked mine I'm flattered!