Better AP carry- Gragas or Ryze?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

i'm looking for a ap carry for solo q and ive tried both and had more sucess with gragas. both can farm decently (gragas having the advantage) and both have cc but whereas gragas is a poking burst champion ryze is more of a sustained dps. which champion do you tihnk is better for carrying solo q?

thanks guys (i don't suck at skill shots but i guess it boils down to if you can land all your barrels)

Folly Inc

02-01-2012

Gragas has a higher skill cap, meaning the more you practice the better you'll get, you'll die more often in low elo and screw up teamfights regularly, but as you get the hang of it you'll see a higher return in gold and your usefulness in teamfights will be MUCH greater.. Ryze has a lower skill cap, meaning he's easier to figure out and reaching his potential takes less time so you'll see more kills and damage in lower elo, and stagnation in higher elos.

kaleb bartlett

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2012

seeing as ryze isn't ap he's a mana stacker you could guess what the answer would be.

BTripp

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb bartlett View Post
seeing as ryze isn't ap he's a mana stacker you could guess what the answer would be.
He still performs as an ap carry, he does magic damage, and can carry harder than most other AP carries with a full build, while being generally tankier too.

Ryze is really strong at the moment, in all levels of play.

Warrrrax

02-01-2012

Ryze is a lot more solid and reliable. Ryze also deals very heavy sustained damage. By level 18, Ryze will hit for 500 damage with his Q and W.
So his snipe combo of Q,W,E,Q which is instantaneous deals 1600+ damage raw.

He can also deliver extreme damage in a teamfight when not being targeted through his Q,W...Q,W...Q,R..Q,W..Q,E..Q combo. Well, not really a combo because even at 40% CDR theres a 1 second delay inbetween each pair.

Gragas just doesn't bring that much damage. His barrels are very high cooldown. He can drop a strong Ult, Dash,Barrel combo but it is tricky and finicky to pull off. Past that, Gragas isnt that big of a factor in teamfights.

SFHFWill

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly Inc View Post
Gragas has a higher skill cap, meaning the more you practice the better you'll get, you'll die more often in low elo and screw up teamfights regularly, but as you get the hang of it you'll see a higher return in gold and your usefulness in teamfights will be MUCH greater.. Ryze has a lower skill cap, meaning he's easier to figure out and reaching his potential takes less time so you'll see more kills and damage in lower elo, and stagnation in higher elos.
Don't listen to this guy. Ryze is in all sorts of high level matches. Some would call him OP. Ryze with a proper build will have max cool down reduction and close to 150 armor and 150 magic resistance, making him very very tanky. He also gets an insane amount of hitpoints.

Ryze isn't just like normal carries. Ryze brings great CC, good AoE dmg with ulti up, and another bruiser (off tank level) champ to team fights. Ryze is amazing and the skill cap with Ryze is just as high as Gragas.

Big difference is that Ryze has a very weak early laning phase in my opinion. He never gets a great way to clear creap quickly. One of his weaker points but the rest of his abilities make him a monster.

XTreeX

02-01-2012

which has a higher carrying point in high elo considering i am very skilled with both of them. (know all the tricks and all)

OmniOmega

02-01-2012

I feel Gragas brings more to a team than Ryze. Ryze brings AoE damage, sure, but contributes only a short, single target snare to the team. Gragas brings some decent CC and has the benefit of being able to push towers at all stages of the game.

Burbinator

02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTreeX View Post
which has a higher carrying point in high elo considering i am very skilled with both of them. (know all the tricks and all)
Though there are team comps that gragas is better with/against, overall ryze.

ViashinoWizard

02-01-2012

Gragas is more dependent on your team composition, but he's very powerful. Ryze is also insanely strong lategame, but he has a lackluster early game.