[CHALLENGE] Create a League Judgment - Nephry, the Shattered Crusader

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yousonerfed

01-31-2012

Time for another challenge!

Okay, now I've been trying to write out this one by myself, but a number of issues have made the process difficult for me. While I have a good idea on how I want this to play out, actually putting it into words isn't as easy as I thought it'd be. Though I still plan to work at this one myself, I've decided to post up a challenge topic here to see what the rest of you might be able to come up with. If you can get out a really cool League Judgment for this Champion that fits the synopsis I'll be providing, that'd be awesome.

Again, this is purely for funsies and bragging rights if you decide to accept. You'll also be credited with helping to make the League Judgment if I decide to use yours as a template.

The Champion is a remake of one of my old ones: Nephry, the Shattered Crusader - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1697141

Background

Quote:
Of all the heroes of Demacia, few have as tragic a history as Nephry. In her youth, she quickly rose from her noble roots to becoming one of Demacia’s greatest holy knights, adored by the people and fiercely loyal to her fellow soldiers. Both the peasantry and nobility knew her as the Holy Shield of Demacia, for she was a staunch defender of the people. At the peak of her career, rumors arose that she had also become romantically involved with Prince Jarvan IV, and many speculated that she would become the next Queen of Demacia.

That is, until one fateful battle against Noxian forces, where her forces were overwhelmed, and Nephry was assumed lost. Yet she was not among the dead, instead taken prisoner by Jericho Swain and brought to the Order of the Black Rose, who tortured her and attempted to corrupt her very being through magic and other unspeakable means. For years, Nephry endured and resisted her tormentors, clinging to the belief that Jarvan IV would one day find her and save her from the clutches of the Noxians. Yet that day never came, and even one as valiant as Nephry could not endure forever against the horrific machinations of the Black Rose.

Her will broken and twisted by the Black Rose, Nephry turned against all she once held dear, donning fearsome black armor and the title of the Shattered Crusader. Where she was once kind and virtuous, she became cruel and without mercy, meting out death to the Black Rose’s enemies in secret without a shred of remorse. She has since been sent to the Institute of War by her new master, Jericho Swain, as a Champion of the new Noxian regime, to crush her former Demacian allies.

The woman I once loved is gone. I’ll not let the Noxians disgrace her name. - Jarvan IV
Character Details
Quote:
- Nephry was born a Demacian, but due to being corrupted by Swain, she now serves Noxus.

- When she still served Demacia, Nephry earned the title of Holy Shield for her valor in defending the people.

- Nephry was in a romantic relationship with Jarvan IV before she was captured. She believed that Jarvan would come to save her from Swain's clutches, but he never came, assuming she had died in battle.

- Before joining the League of Legends, Nephry was often sent on secret assignments by the Order of the Black Rose to eliminate the order's enemies. She proved brutally efficient at the tasks she was given, and utterly loyal to her new masters.

- Nephry used to be friends with the various Demacian Champions, such as Garen and Xin Zhao. Her new loyalty to Noxus, however, shattered any former bonds she had with her Demacian comrades. One possible exception to this, however, is Lux, who is of the belief that Nephry can still be saved.

- Though she has seemingly been corrupted to the core, a few believe that there may be some way to turn Nephry back to the good person she used to be.

Quotes (these should help you get a feel for her personality)
Selection
You know nothing of sorrow…
Movement
My prince… he never came.
Demacia will suffer as I have.
I am forsaken.
If I must, Summoner.
Justice is but an illusion.
Attacking
Feel my pain!
Embrace emptiness.
Despair as I have!
You will break to me.
They are unworthy of mercy.
Taunt
You’ve yet to learn the meaning of suffering!
You’d best pray that I make this quick!
Joke
Urgh… it’s just… a flesh wound… [Monty Python reference]
Killing Jarvan IV
Die now if you ever loved me, Jarvan!
Killing Shyvana
I shall take EVERYTHING from you, half-dragon witch!
Killing Garen
Such a futile effort, Might of Demacia.
Killing Xin Zhao
You have grown weak with age, Viscero.
Killing Galio
You only delay the inevitable, Sentinel.
Killing Lux
Do not intervene or I shall end you, Lux...

Appearance Artworks (credit goes to the original artists) (not to be taken as exactly what Nephry looks like)
Attachment 373318Attachment 373319Attachment 373320
Now here's the synopsis I'm planning to work by. You don't have to use it if you want to do something else, but it's here if you want to reference it.
Quote:
Observation

[Nephry is led through the Institute of War by Swain, appearing almost puppet-like in her expression. Amongst the bystanders, many Demacians look on in dread at seeing the famed Holy Shield, once one of Demacia’s greatest knights, now serving the new Noxian regime as the Shattered Crusader. One Demacian soldier among the crowd even steps out and confronts Swain on turning Nephry into a “monster”, and recklessly tries to kill the Master Tactician despite any consequences. Nephry, however, instantly cuts down the soldier with a single strike.]

[Satisfied with the effect Nephry’s presence is having on the Demacians, Swain gives Nephry the order to enter the Judgment Chamber. She acknowledges the order, calling Swain “Master” in the process, which further demoralizes the Demacians.]

Reflection

[Nephry’s first vision is of her first meeting with Jarvan IV, as the prince’s personal unit meets with hers for an assault on a Noxian fortress. Though the Noxians have a strong defense, Jarvan is confident that he and Nephry can defeat them with their combined forces. Nephry is amused by Jarvan’s boasts, but is also quick to cleverly insult him. Jarvan takes this with good humor, commenting that Nephry is “brave” for making such an insult to a prince.]

[Nephry’s second vision is of herself and Jarvan in the Demacian palace gardens. The two are romantically involved now, and are on a rare military leave. Nephry, however, is soon to lead a battalion into battle against Noxus. Jarvan and Nephry are both confident that Demacia will win, though Nephry is somewhat discontent that Jarvan will be with “other women” while she is gone. Jarvan reassures her that he has never felt for them as he has for her. When Nephry asks Jarvan to prove it, he almost kisses her, but the two are interrupted when Jarvan is called away by a castle servant to see his father.]

[The third vision is of Nephry in Swain’s captivity. She is battered, malnourished, and has clearly been tortured extensively, yet she still holds a flame of defiance in her. She is still under the belief that Jarvan will come and rescue her. Swain enters the room and tells Nephry that Jarvan believes she is dead, and that he has moved on from her. Nephry claims Swain is lying, but Swain dispels this claim by showing Nephry an image of Jarvan with Shyvana. Swain says that Jarvan has taken a half-dragon as his new love interest, and had believed Nephry was dead all along. Nephry tries to convince herself that Swain is lying, but she knows deep down that he is telling the truth. Screaming, Nephry’s will finally breaks.]

[At this point, Jarvan barges into the Judgment Chamber, causing the illusion to end. He is quick to deny the facts Nephry was shown, claiming that had he known she was still alive, he would have launched a full-scale invasion upon Noxus to save her. Swain enters the chamber and says that Jarvan is a liar, in that he left on a pilgrimage shortly after Nephry’s supposed death, returning with Shyvana two years later. Jarvan is unable to deny this, as it is the truth and he won’t lie to Nephry. The prince quickly puts aside the subject, and assures Nephry that he is there for her. As Jarvan approaches her, however, Nephry stabs Jarvan in the chest (non-fatally), and then pins him to the ground under her foot.]

[With tear-filled eyes, Nephry says that she used to believe that Jarvan loved her, but that he never came for her. She now doesn’t know whether or not to believe that Jarvan ever truly loved her; if he had, he wouldn’t have ever given up on her. But because Jarvan "left" her, and instead found Shyvana, Nephry believes Jarvan didn’t love her. She then raises her blade, seemingly to behead the prince (much to Swain’s delight), but instead simply stabs the ground next to Jarvan’s neck.]

[Swain is disappointed by Nephry’s action, secretly wanting her to have killed Jarvan there and then. Nephry then answers the Summoner questions: she wants to join the League to learn the truth from Jarvan. For the second question, her answer is that she will find her answer from Jarvan in his dying breath. As Nephry leaves the Judgment Chamber, with tears of anguish falling despite her strong stance, Jarvan vows silently that he will end Nephry's suffering, one way or another.]
I might've missed a few details in writing this synopsis, but it should give you a gist of what I'm trying to write. If you want to try it, I'll appreciate it.

Yousonerfed

02-01-2012

Made a few updates, though they're pretty much adding in just a few words.

Quite a few extra special quotes, though, to show Nephry's relationship with the other Demacian Champions. (She doesn't get anything for Vayne, Poppy or Sona, though.)

PsilonStefanov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

Hmm...this looks interesting, and I'm bored, so yeah...I might give it a shot, though I'll work with a different synopsis, so my tendency to add too much detail doesn't turn this judgement into a ten page monster. With your permission I shall begin.

Yousonerfed

02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsilonStefanov View Post
Hmm...this looks interesting, and I'm bored, so yeah...I might give it a shot, though I'll work with a different synopsis, so my tendency to add too much detail doesn't turn this judgement into a ten page monster. With your permission I shall begin.
Permission granted.

Good luck.

PsilonStefanov

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2012

Thank you. I'll try to finish it within a reasonable time frame, though I'm a bit out of shape, so it might take a while.
Edit: Also, what's her equipment? Or to be more specific does she use a shield, and if yes, may I do away with it, if I think up a reason to?

Yousonerfed

02-02-2012

Quote:
Thank you. I'll try to finish it within a reasonable time frame, though I'm a bit out of shape, so it might take a while.
Edit: Also, what's her equipment? Or to be more specific does she use a shield, and if yes, may I do away with it, if I think up a reason to?
She wields a broadsword in battle, as seen in the pictures. No shield.

PsilonStefanov

02-06-2012

This is taking longer than expected...and it appears that I've lost my page discipline, so it's also getting rather spacey. Hence it's taking longer than expected. Sorry about that. On the bright side, in search of feedback I present, the observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSERVATION
Slowly, dressed in black cloth a figure walks towards the door of the reflection chamber. Her steps show the same pride and discipline that those of all the previous Demacians did, measured and firm as they are. She’s also standing proud and erect, just like the rest of them. Shoulders high, her back not even slightly humped her hands relaxed, not showing a sign of being nervous. But there is one difference. Slight, but hard to ignore, for it made the rest of her posture seem grotesque. For while the rest of her was erect and controlled, her head is not. It appears painful even, when you look at it. The perfect line of her back broken by her neck and then her head, turned downwards, as if she dared not look forward. And once you notice this crack in her image other become obvious as well. Her steps might be like those of a Demacian soldier most of the time…and then all of a sudden she almost stumbles forward on one, clenching her fist, as if something hurt her. Her breathing, while for the most part calm and controlled sometimes stops for a few seconds with no reason and then she takes several deep breaths in a rapid succession. Her hand sometimes check if the sword on her hip is still there, and other times runs across parts of her body, as if fearing that they might fail her.

Finally she stops at the door and looks up at the inscription on it with dull, doll like eyes, her mouth opening just a little as she moves her head up. “The truest opponent lies within.” She stands there, gazing at the inscription for a few moments…and then without a reason screams “NO!” and strikes the letters, opening the door almost getting dragged after it by the momentum. Beyond it there is just complete darkness.
Her eyes come alive for a moment, and for the first time her stature is just like that of a true Demacian. She smiles, and though it is a tired and tormented expression it alludes to the beauty she possessed before Swain’s torture had turned her in the effigy she is today. She looks back, as if to make sure that she isn’t followed, then takes out a piece of cloth from the pocket of her armor. The fabric is rough, and dirty, but one can clearly see a capital D written there in blood, housed in a the red outlines of a shield. A tear appears in Nephry’s eye as she looks up into the darkness before her. The charade is over, she thinks as she walks into the shadows.
Edit 1: Also, tell me if you want me to keep away from you character from now on.

Youso1337

02-06-2012

Quote:
This is taking longer than expected...and it appears that I've lost my page discipline, so it's also getting rather spacey. Hence it's taking longer than expected. Sorry about that. On the bright side, in search of feedback I present, the observation.

Edit 1: Also, tell me if you want me to keep away from you character from now on.
Thumbs up. Very nicely done intro. Keep it going; I wanna see where this leads.

Sounds like you're going for the approach that she wasn't completely broken. Very interesting; I liked how you described the various "chinks" in her movements and manner. That was a treat.

One change, though: more spacing between paragraphs would be nice. It's a little hard to read.

1Eredale

02-06-2012

Another acc, You? Do you manage to get banned or forget passwords? D:

Also, we all know that Jarman made it out with Shyvana, ohh yeah.

Youso1337

02-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
Another acc, You? Do you manage to get banned or forget passwords? D:

Also, we all know that Jarman made it out with Shyvana, ohh yeah.
Yeah, I got booted again, this time for posting links to sites that had mature content. I gave plenty of warnings on them, and even said I would dismantle the topic if I were asked to by Riot, but they didn't even want to give me that chance, it seems, and just gave me the forum ban.

EDIT: My appeal went through, and my Yousogreat account got its ban lifted. YAY!