Influence Points?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

illusionary army

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2010

Hi,

I have been looking in the learning center/getting started on this website but didn't find an answer.

Are influence points used to unlock champions? What does "unlocking" a champion do exactly?

Thanks!

I.A.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-21-2010

yes, IP (influence points) are used to unlock champions.

Unlocking a champion makes him available to play indefinetly

illusionary army

07-21-2010

Thank you!

Marrob

07-21-2010

An additional question to this, as I noticed the increased cost for Tier 2/3 runes. Do you gain more IP per match as you level up? Or do I need to start saving now for Tier 3 runes?

Hakairyu

07-21-2010

Nope, the IP you gain doesn't go up. The rationale behind the cost raising is that, since you're level 10/20, you've played a number of games, so you should have some IP to spare.

Marrob

07-21-2010

I really don't, with the cost of buying a few champions, and a few runes each level. Guess I'll have to encourage myself not to waste IP on low level runes.

looney

07-21-2010

You gain approximately 70 IP for losing a game and 110 IP for winning one.

About runes I suggest you to get some Tier 1 runes which are very cheap and can help you to learn which are the most suitable runes for you, skip buying Tier 2 runes. And when you are ready to buy Tier 3 runes just ask here again which are the best or just buy the ones you found fancy using your experience with the Tier 1 runes.

Basically have in mind that tier 2 are not very good as stats/price, while the tier 1 is 8x times cheaper then tier 3 while it gives 50% of the bonuses.

Marrob

07-21-2010

Thanks for the info looney. I couldn't talk myself into buying any tier 2 runes anyways. Have stayed with tier 1 runes, due to the crazy change of price, and the logic of not upgrading til level 20 anyways (teir 2 does seem a waste).

Question, what does that rune combiner thing do?

looney

07-21-2010

If you combine two tier 1 runes, it will give you one new random tier 1 rune.
If you combine five tier 1 runes, it will give you one random tier 2 rune.

Two runes = One of the same tier.
Five runes = One of the above tier.

It is useful when you are going to switch to tier 3 runes and you don't need the tier 1 anymore. You can combine 25x tier 1 runes and get one tier 3 .
But all runes you get are random beware of this.

Marrob

07-21-2010

Awesome for that info as well! Two thumbs up!