Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I believe purple side is at a disadvantage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blaziruku

02-01-2012

actually purple is at a technical disadvantage. If you dont touch lanes (go to custom game) and you jsut sit there, blue minions will push tower more than blue.

Kansei

02-01-2012

If you want the camera to "snap in" on your champion, just hit spacebar or f1 a couple times and it will recenter the camera.

Ciah

02-02-2012

Itt: qq

KatzenKinder

02-02-2012

I think there's definitely some merit to this, but I find it more noticeable playing champs with large ranges, specifically Lux. I've attempted playing unlocked but found the movement to be to irregular (coming from SC2), and had a hard time adjusting. I think it'd be beneficial not to change any of the map characteristics but instead just offer an option to "flip" the map so that you can play from the blue side's perspective if you wish. I don't know whether there would be syncing issues, I'm assuming there are at least some as they haven't implemented the feature, but it'd definitely be useful.

Ulstan

02-02-2012

For a long time I played with camera locked too. Then I realized I needed to switch.

The next 2-3 games were incredibly painful, as I kept wandering out of my own camera box and not realizing it...but trust me. You really want to learn to play without the locked camera.

I think purple top lane has an advantage over blue top lane, and I think blue bot lane has an advantage over purple bot lane, but both are so slight as to be meaningless given all the other variables.

Adleithian

02-02-2012

The disadvantage is so small and insignificant that you're wasting your time to try and make a rather minute point that holds such little sway over the outcome of the game. Its literally such a small percentage of a disadvantage that no moba game has attempted to fix it. Now grow up and deal with it. You're wasting forum space.

Zalgosh

02-02-2012

Purple side is at a slight disadvantage. Jungle is slightly more awkward then blue side, and bot lane has to ward dragon and tri bush, or have a ward so close to their lane that they have little warning time about an incoming gank. The reason for this is because of the teams average elo. I dont remember where the post was, but purple sides average elo of all 5 summoners is slightly higher than blue sides (you have a normal game elo, not just ranked, even though you can't see it).
So because blue side is playing against slightly "better" people, purple side has a slightly more annoying map to even it out. If anyone finds the post about elo and which side of the map you're on and wants to link it, that'd be great.

skittléZ

02-02-2012

Yea I agree, I always play with the camera locked, I only unlock it if I want to teleport to a minion somewhere across the map.

But yea, if you're on the blue team and running from your base to the top lane, if an enemy champion appeared from the top of the screen, you'd see their feet first and plenty of time to react.

But for the enemy thats coming from the top of the screen, on the purple team, you'd see the enemy champions' (on the blue team) head first and he/she would already be ontop of you..

And not only the camera angle, but since the abilities bar, your champion stats and the minimap are on the bottom of the screen, this limits view a bit more, and if you're using e.g. Kog Maws' ult, you cant make full use of its range.

Hopefully a patch can happen where the map is simply flipped for the purple team.

Nube Tuber

02-02-2012

Quote:
Fleshpenant:
I like to play with my camera locked most of the time, and I cant stand playing on purple side (the top one) because your vision seems to be obstructed towards the bottom of the screen usually
What is there that can be done about this?
I have already removed the useless bits of the hud and reduced the size as much as is reasonable but especially when playing with an adjustable length skillshot such as olaf q or shyvana ult going downwards i will not be able to go its full length because the hud or map or something is in the way.
Not only that but also you are unable to see the enemy in lane most of the time especially if you are bot, which makes it hell when facing a nidalee or many other champs.

Does anybody else hate purple side also? I find myself dodging whenever i'm on purple side now

You honestly cant be good at this game with your camera locked. Its like playing cod and not being able to run and turn a the same time idk if thats a good analogy. Get used to playing with it unlocked and you'll be better. And in case you dont know plessing the "space" button moves the screen diractly onto your champion.

Elsender

02-02-2012

There is no reason why Riot can not make the field of view (FOV) equal on both purple and blue teams, Although I cannot quantify this, I believe it was done on purpose to give purple team a disadvantage. Sort of like the Black on Chess, Traditionally the better player takes Black, although you can win traditionally you are supposed to lose or at the very least have a slight disadvantage, thus giving the other less skilled opponent a "Handicap".