Improving on Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iProbie

01-29-2012

the beef is one of my fav champs in dominion atm

looking for a better way to play ali. currently playing as a tanky support ad.

current rune setup:
-time dead quints (so far, this really helps. being back in the action in less than 15 seconds feels awesome)
-MR/level glyphs
-armor/level seals
-armor pen reds

current masteries:
8/19/3
taking cdr in offense, cdr/level in defense and -time dead in utility

build order:
ionian boots + pots -> rush glacial shroud -> aegis -> negatron if enemy has AP -> sheen + phage -> finish trinity -> atma's or force of nature depending on situation. I never finished frozen heart because with boots + shroud, it's usually already 37-38% cdr.
full build:
ionian boots (switch to merc's late game if needed)
glacial shroud (upgrade to FH if switching to merc's)
aegis
force of nature
trinity force
atma's

I have 150 ping so I cannot WQ at all. current playstyle: simply protect carries with Q W E. R when I'm getting focused

any suggestions or insights would be helpful

FDru

01-30-2012

Replace death time quints with move speed, no questions asked. Other runes are fine. Go 9/21/0 and get spell pen from offense (doesn't matter if you're going AD, it's still the best bang for your buck for that extra point). Make dying less a goal, so death time doesn't matter as much.

You should be finishing Frozen Heart, especially as Alistar. The aura is very valuable for lowering incoming damage on yourself and your allies. It also helps to max CDR faster (it's okay if you go a little over max at end game).

Boots are situational, but there's seldom any situation where Merc Treads aren't the best choice. Build around the assumption that you won't have CDR boots, and possibly throw in a Spirit Visage to top off your CDR (the passive is useful for him anyway). If you feel you don't need mercs at all you might consider Mobility boots instead.

Your build is actually fine otherwise, but I'd replace FoN with Visage because with so many expensive items you'll realistically never complete that build (you should still have enough MR with Mercs/Visage/Aegis). Starting with a Ruby + Sapphire Crystal and then building into Kindlegem + Glacial Shroud is a good way to get some cheap early survivability and CDR.

Hope that's helpful and good luck.

Panwar

01-30-2012

Doesn't seem like much health in either of your builds. Unless I get a giants belt in there somewhere I always feel like I fold too quickly. At least in the early game.

And what about an odyn's veil instead of FoN or SV? Starting cata seems pretty strong to me.

iProbie

01-30-2012

thanks for the info guys

the idea of an early ionian boots is to win early fights with more frequent Q W E

what about skillbuild?
maxing Q is nobrainer imo
levelling up W and E alternatively? or max W or E first?

Yaladilae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

i am not the best Alistair

but i can say, Alistair is highly dependant on CDR
Frozen heart and Randium is very top pick against AD heavy team, whilst AP heavy team should make you build FON first

Also 2 very nice utility item are QSS and executioners calling (but situational)

and he is a beast

Xanthic

01-30-2012

Other than what FDru has already said. I'd replace the armor per level seals with Health per level instead.

iProbie

01-30-2012

wow, been trying FDru's build, it's pretty awesome.
breached the 3.3k hp barrier iirc with almost full build

but always ended up in 4th or 5th place with > 20 assists :3

Ardenor

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iProbie View Post
but always ended up in 4th or 5th place with > 20 assists :3
A record like that is typical for Alistar, at least in my experience playing him.

I'm far from being a top level Dominion player, but I think FDru's advice is sound.

Generally I'll start with Prospector's Ring and Boots of Speed. After that, I concentrate on building cooldown reduction items starting with Ionian Boots, Glacial Shroud, and Spirit Visage. Then I'll finish Frozen Heart, because as FDru pointed out, the aura is just too good to pass up. At this point, I'm way over the 40% cap on cooldown reduction, so I can either replace my Ionian Boots with Mercury Treads or start working on utility or damage items. But the game is usually over by this point.

There are few things as frustrating as taking on a CDR capped Alistar, so making that your goal should be your number one priority.

Grantson

01-30-2012

Pretty much what FDru said.

Quote:
it's usually already 37-38% cdr
If you have spare IP points and want to make small tweaks, you could always swap a few MR/level glyphs for flat cool down glyphs to make it 40% at level 18. So it's around 4-5 flat cool-down glyph and 5-4 magic resist glyphs.

IMSOJUICY

01-30-2012

Lately I've been trying atmas and starks after boots, visage, and fheart, and another cheap HP item (sweeper, aegis, etc). Even with max cd, Ali spends a lot of time just hitting things, so the attack speed buff and crits seem to add up, theoretically. I'll swap out stark for that one aspd mr item if they ate ap heavy.