Dominion Forums and Dota2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KrYoS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
ive played dota2. my issue with it is it has no tutorial or introductory phase. theres no means of learning the game. if uve never played dota, u will not get dota2 easily. its just a hassle to learn and one i really dont wanna go through to be honest. if it was simpler or had a tutorial somewhere, id probably try it

LoL has a tutorial thats very good for newcomers to moba's. dota is too new.

to those that know dota, theres little reason to play it besides nostalgia. it simply hasnt proven itself as a better game yet.

bloodline champions had the same issue for me.
I had similar thoughts on this. Never having played DOTA, I was pretty lost in DOTA2. A tutorial would be nice, and there is one planned, but it's not out yet. Also, the double penalty for dying (opponent gains gold, you lose gold) seems to mean this game will be even more full of ragers than LoL. I might well play it some, but I still like LoL a lot better. Also, with like 105 champs planned at release, I'm not sure I'll even be bothered to have the time to learn them. It's taken a long time to learn LoL... Trying to learn a "new" (to me at least) MOBA game is pretty daunting.

larkhill

01-30-2012

i really did want to learn dota2. it seems like all these other moba's have more complex and interesting champ designs. LoL may be fairly balanced and fun but u must admit that games like HoN were more creative with champs and it seemed like a lot of fun

maybe when the tutorial comes out i'll play it again

TakinTheHeat

01-30-2012

People can barely last hit in league. Last hitting is probably twice as important and hard in dota2. Nobody is going to leave LoL for it, and they need to stop threatening Riot that they will.

Stimuz

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakinTheHeat View Post
People can barely last hit in league. Last hitting is probably twice as important and hard in dota2. Nobody is going to leave LoL for it, and they need to stop threatening Riot that they will.
Exactly. Not to mention DOTA 2 is basically DOTA 1 with improved graphics, something I wish they did with Starcraft 2, but not DOTA. Too many outdated mechanics in that game that have already been improved on by HoN or LoL. I've had the beta since November I think, played one hour so far. If I had a giftable copy I would have given it away the second I got it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

If I'm being honest, this is about the feedback I expected. I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought about the game. Does it look fun on the streams? Yes. Am I interested? Again, yes.

Am I smart enough to know that I wouldn't be any **** good at it? Also yes.

Without a different mode to mix things up, I guess I just don't understand how Dota2 plans on competing for anyone's attention other than the nostalgia-seekers. I may not enjoy SR as much as I do Dominion, but at least I have the option. And, with the barrier to entry for Dota2 being that much higher than it is for SR, how is that supposed to appeal to new players?

P.S. To my three downvotes, I assure you that I was not threatening, or trying to threaten, a switch. I was just curious.

larkhill

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
Without a different mode to mix things up, I guess I just don't understand how Dota2 plans on competing for anyone's attention other than the nostalgia-seekers. I may not enjoy SR as much as I do Dominion, but at least I have the option. And, with the barrier to entry for Dota2 being that much higher than it is for SR, how is that supposed to appeal to new players?
you;d be surprised just how cocky and egotistical gaming companies can get when they once held the top spot in a market but lost it. its hard to realize just how far dota has fallen and just how fast LoL has risen. back when dota 2 started developing, i imagine it was nowhere near as popular. and by now, its too late to back out.

also, u have to understand just how little people care about dominion. if they removed dominion completely and called it a complete and total failure that sucked and nobody liked, they'd lose maybe 100 customers, and thats being generous...

ActionButlerGO

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
you;d be surprised just how cocky and egotistical gaming companies can get when they once held the top spot in a market but lost it. its hard to realize just how far dota has fallen and just how fast LoL has risen. back when dota 2 started developing, i imagine it was nowhere near as popular. and by now, its too late to back out.
That is a great point, actually. Anyone know when they did decide to start development? Or when, during the course of development, they decided to just straight-up port the old game and give it a new coat of paint?

larkhill

01-30-2012

wikipedia seems to put the date around mid-2010 is when they started the process. my guess is they always had the idea of just improving dota rather than making something new and revolutionary. remember, dota was the king of moba back in the day. it invented the genre. in their eyes, its a case of "dont fix what isnt broken".

problem, is, they dont realize that LoL has gotten so popular and risen to high that the old dota style seems broken now.

i compare this to the WoW vs everquest 2 battle. EQ basically invented the genre but WoW took over and never looked back. EQ2 tried to recapture the magic of eq but they didnt realize people didnt want the old magic. they wanted the new system that WoW implemented.

Veztai

01-30-2012

I might look at DotA 2, but probably won't play it much. Invested way too much time in LoL to want to move to another MOBA where I have to start from ground 0 again, lol

Besides, Dominion is my love interest now, ^~^

waringdawn

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
I'm only playing this genre because there's a void of good real RTS' out right now. No, SC2 is not good it is a 12 year old game with new paint. It's still the same spammy, zero tactics microfest it always was. People play it because there is no competition, and it gets great support because the parent company is filthy rich. C&C shot itself in the head due to EA greed. I loved Company of Heroes, but Dawn of War 2 just sucked..
you are just so sad.you love the rts genre but just happen to hate all the popular ones.so pathetic.