Dominion Forums and Dota2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lbgsloan

01-30-2012

I'm only playing this genre because there's a void of good real RTS' out right now. No, SC2 is not good it is a 12 year old game with new paint. It's still the same spammy, zero tactics microfest it always was. People play it because there is no competition, and it gets great support because the parent company is filthy rich. C&C shot itself in the head due to EA greed. I loved Company of Heroes, but Dawn of War 2 just sucked. Other than Sins of a Solar Empire, which is a niche of its own, there is really nothing else on the RTS front. Hence LoL. I was about to drop LoL before Dominion was released, as playing random team farmville games with one unit for 40 minutes is torture. Dominion sped up the gameplay and moved the focus pack to PvP as it should be, but it doesn't solve the random team part of the equation. A 2v2 map would be fantastic.

Dota 2? Same **** different smell. It does some things better than LoL, and some things worse. Summoner heroes, more incentive to kill players, less get out of jail free abilities? Good stuff. Denies, last hit mechanic taken to more extreme (towers only give gold to the person who last hits, unless I'm mistaken), still 5v5 (ie 5th man is still an awkward position)? Archaic limitations from an old mod, left in because people hate change. It just seems to me all these Dota-clones (even its own sequel!) are so obsessed with being Dota that they forgot to fix what is broken with the formula. Why does a game with 3 lanes and a jungle have to be 5v5? Why can't it be 4v4 or 6v6? Why can't they delete a lane and make it 2-2-jungle? Too fixed in the past, too chicken to try something new.

There is one major plus in Dota 2's favour though, and that is it (hopefully) will not be F2P. The IP system in LoL is a **** abomination. One that makes $$$, but an abomination. I can't stand games that are not a level playing field, and not having all the heroes and runes available means people who don't have time to grind forever are at a disadvantage at high level play. Not being able to counterpick XYZ because I don't HAVE the counter is an issue that shouldn't happen.

If this all comes out sounding angry, I don't mean it. It's just a rant from the frustration of the RTS genre being at a low-point in its life.

Draydan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

@lbgsloan

DotA had a ton of GooJ abilities. All those blinks, dashes, stealthes and even items for Stealth and Blink.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
Dawn of War 2 just sucked.
I tried so hard to like DoW2.

Even as a one-time 40K player I just couldn't get into the swing of it, though. It isn't that the game is bad, as such, it just isn't nearly as amazing as it could have been.

KimKelley

01-30-2012

Built in voice chat = no way in hell I will play DotA2

Basoosh

01-30-2012

Unless I completely missed it, DotA 2 will not have anything like Dominion. And seeing how Dominion is my main attraction to LoL at the moment, it's a pretty easy decision what game I'll be playing.

Ascleph

01-30-2012

If I wanted to play DotA2 I would be playing DotA already, not LoL

Also, I doubt valve will try to keep their game clean from socially inept people like riot does, so all those trash getting banned? Yeah they'll be there.

Temporality

Recruiter

01-30-2012

I got really bored of SR and TT for a long time and took a break from LoL for a few months until Dominion came out. I'm really glad that Riot took the time to put it together properly because I think it's a fantastic, diverse addition to the game and hey, it made me throw more money at them so we both win.

During the christmas treasure hunt on steam I got a Dota 2 key from coal so I was playing bot games trying to get the hang of all the nuances of a new game. However I quickly got bored because it was the same map I had played like 500+ games of on LoL (I know the original map was in DotA...) and every game (even ones that I specced of friends) seemed to come down to one carry ricing forever and then destroying the enemy team. Even during The International tourney I saw this happen a few times so it's not just some "pubstomping" problem.

Anyway, if Dota 2 were to add new maps/game modes, I would consider picking it up again. But right now it just feels ancient and I don't want to go back to farming for 25 mins, losing a team fight, and then surrendering because one person out of a team of five decided to feed/troll/afk.

Doflamingo51

01-30-2012

I will probably be making the switch to Dota 2. Mainly for the fact, that the Dominion community cares way more about the game than Riot does.

Talith PA

01-30-2012

Already played years of Dota and switched over to LoL. Played some Dota 2 and the fresh coat of paint and character banter is great for spectating but it doesn't change the fact the game isn't as fun.

Lone Blade

01-30-2012

I'm largely with the rest of the people here... I for one didn't like the old "str, int, agl" system, I like LoL's build choices and ap system much more. Plus, DotA2 is more of the same... if it was unique, I'd try it out and might like it... as it is now, it's just going to be a bunch of die hard DotA fans and discontented LoL and HoN players... no thanks... @lbgsloa, have you checked out the first supreme commander game? That's in it's own category as well due to the sheer size and time requirement...